Gsp defended the title 9 times,beat better competition and people still think fedor is greater?

Fedor defended the lineal title 18 times but MMA fans dont care about real titles they care about fake promotion belts like UFC/Bellator/ONE/PFL/etc

The actual GOAT is Jon Jones, no doubt in my mind he's more dominant and well rounded than any of the others. But if you disqualify those who tested positive, it's gotta be GSP. Fedor has about 7 really good wins (a few of them to the same guys) in a 10 year period, and spent the rest fighting cans. And he refused to come to the UFC when Pride folded, huge knock against him imo. It's hard to call somebody the GOAT when they refuse to fight where the top competition is. By that logic, I could say Ben Askren is the GOAT, as the only fighter to make it to the top of a *major* organization and retire undefeated. But for the same reason as above, I never would. At least in his case, however, it's because Dana wanted nothing to do with him. Fedor had the option and blatantly refused.

Fedor never tested positive for roids. But he spent nearly his entire career fighting in an organization that not only didn't test, but actively encouraged steroid use. The moment he started fighting in orgs that tested, he suddenly was "out of his prime" and a shell of himself. Johnny Hendricks never tested positive either, but between his refusal to do VADA style testing and the way he looks post-USADA does anybody really doubt..?

USADA proved American testing was a joke in the 2000s and early 2010s. Fedor, being from Russia, would've had no issue circumventing American commission testing for his fights in Affliction and Strikeforce, if he so chose.

Also, studies suggest PEDs and steroids have long lasting effects for up to years beyond the normal use period. Hendricks' issues are more to do with insane weight cuts going back to his days as a wrestler in highschool and college finally catching up to him.

USADA proved American testing was a joke in the 2000s and early 2010s. Fedor, being from Russia, would've had no issue circumventing American commission testing for his fights in Affliction and Strikeforce, if he so chose.

Also, studies suggest PEDs and steroids have long lasting effects for up to years beyond the normal use period. Hendricks' issues are more to do with insane weight cuts going back to his days as a wrestler in highschool and college finally catching up to him.
Possibly, but when he flatout refused to do VADA style testing against GSP when Georges was offering to pay for it out of pocket, and then handled Georges like a child (a feat which was never seen before, even against great wrestlers like Fitch and Koshcheck), it's incredibly suspect. Not to mention his awesome power evaporating like water under the desert sun.

Fedor never tested positive for roids. But he spent nearly his entire career fighting in an organization that not only didn't test, but actively encouraged steroid use. The moment he started fighting in orgs that tested, he suddenly was "out of his prime" and a shell of himself. Johnny Hendricks never tested positive either, but between his refusal to do VADA style testing and the way he looks post-USADA does anybody really doubt..?

GTFOH....

I'm a Fedor fan, but if you think PED testing works now, you're crazy.

It is still the steroid era in EVERY sport. Drug testing will never catch up with an entire (much more lucrative) industry devoted to undermining it.

Fedor declined with age and never competed in a USADA event....blaming his decline on no more steroids implies testing works.....nothing could be farther from the truth.....

95%+ of pro athletes never fail a PED test their entire career.....and even the guys who pop once or twice pass 99%+ of the drug tests they take over the course of their athletic career.....

Its a huge waste of money on PR for something that has an irrational stigma attached that nobody can reasonably articulate.....

All ped testing is a joke.

U think ngannou is natty?

I got GSP tied with Fedor on my very carefully calculated GOAT list.

Spider got one more GOAT point than both of them.

gsp defended the title more than fedor and beat better competition and people still think fedor is greater?and not to mention,fedor got more losses
Fedor was like igor tho.. Super small hw that could compete with anyone

while gsp has the better resume, fedor is better for one simple reasons. he is a heavyweight.

GSP ducked fedor and everyone Fedor fought by fighting at 170. You can't be greatest fighter of all time if you can't even compete with the bigger men. thats why the GOAT will always be a heavyweight (or possibly a LHW).

juxMeXl.jpg

The new era of UFC is probably to blame more so than the past but I don't care about title defenses as a huge selling point.

A guy like Yoel would have a bunch of defenses under his belt by picking up wins over guys who were given title shots before him.
His wins over Rockhold and Weidman and Jacare for example are no less impressive than a champion defending his belt vs three opponents.

The new era of UFC is probably to blame more so than the past but I don't care about title defenses as a huge selling point.

A guy like Yoel would have a bunch of defenses under his belt by picking up wins over guys who were given title shots before him.
His wins over Rockhold and Weidman and Jacare for example are no less impressive than a champion defending his belt vs three opponents.
Top 5/top 10 wins is a better measure of greatness than defences. GSP is the greatest we've seen by those standards.

Top 5/top 10 wins is a better measure of greatness than defences. GSP is the greatest we've seen by those standards.

Agreed and I'd still vote GSP too, was just saying "title defenses" aren't the end all be all beings it is mentioned right in the thread title.

I like guys who fight a gauntlet of different styles and prove they can beat them all. Not to turn it into McGregor bashing but I feel like other than short notice Mendes he has avoided fighters who are wrestling based which leaves me feeling like he is simply one of the sports best strikers of all time. GSP faced every style there is and came out victorious and that means something.

Agreed and I'd still vote GSP too, was just saying "title defenses" aren't the end all be all beings it is mentioned right in the thread title.

I like guys who fight a gauntlet of different styles and prove they can beat them all. Not to turn it into McGregor bashing but I feel like other than short notice Mendes he has avoided fighters who are wrestling based which leaves me feeling like he is simply one of the sports best strikers of all time. GSP faced every style there is and came out victorious and that means something.
I hear you.

As a fighter I prefer Conor's style. It's fun and flashy. BuT GSP got it done against everyone and his strength of schedule is up there, almost as good as Hendo's, with the obvious difference being that GSP beat every man he ever faced.

Honestly (not to turn it into a McGregor hugging thread) I feel like Conor's career has been a wasted opportunity in the sense that fights with Edgar, Holloway II, Khabib, Ferguson and RDA would probably all have been extremely entertaining, but we'll never see them.

GSP has a better resume, but I keep coming back to one thought:

When you're talking about the greatest basketball player, you're not talking about the greatest player for their size. Same for football, soccer, hockey, baseball, sprinting, or 99% of the world's sports.

The skill level of smaller weight divisions is generally higher than of heavier weight divisions, but in absolute terms - if like in 99% of other sports there were no weight divisions - the heavyweights are the best fighters.

Most combat sports started without weight divisions. That includes wrestling (way back in ancient Greece), boxing, judo, BJJ, and yes, MMA. They all added weight divisions eventually (some like wrestling took centuries to do so, judo took 8 decades to do so, MMA only one decade) to give smaller guys a chance to compete. Nothing wrong with that, many of the lighter division fights are very interesting. But the best fighters are still guys who don't cut weight.

You're simply too much of an idiot to have an opinion.
If you don't think the style in which you win is a factor when discussing the greatest of all time then i'm not sure why you actually watch combat sports...

Surely you watch to be entertained?

Back