GSP isn't picking the easier fight

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
This seems to be what some people are saying. For me, Woodley is a scrub, and Bisping, well Bisping is Bisping, whereas anyone in top 20 in MW division you would be hesitant to not favour against Bisping.

Even if Woodley is as good as some of you think he is, which I would heavily disagree with, prime GSP is just on a different level, no matter how Woodley thinks about his skills. I mean, I guess you wouldn't know if you weren't really around to see it, the excitment that GSP used to bring, mostly before he got ktfo by Serra, but he was something special. And I'd say he is still better than Woodley.

Some may compare this fight to Conor fighting Alvarez, who I thought was the easiest fight out of them all fights that was available back then, including featerweights, some of them, and I made a thread about it, if you don't believe me, it's not hindsight 20/20, and people laughed at me for saying that but where are they now. I thought some featherweights because match ups make fights, and funny how his 'fans' all but disappeared after that fight.

However, this isn't Conor vs Alvarez. This is a win - win fight like that fight for GSP AND Bisping, but GSP doesn't match up that well against Bisping. He's not the same size like Bisping, reach and weight, and Bisping actually have a good takedown defense, and I'm sure Sonnen would agree, Bisping beat Sonnen hands down.

Especially, after coming off a lay off and going up a weight class.

If GSP wins this fight, he should get all the credit in the world he deserves, unlike Conor winning against Alvarez, which for me was a gimme fight for Conor to look good.

No, but he's definitely picking the fight with less risk to his "legacy" if he loses.

Bisping will beat GSP down, so in that sense it is a hard fight.

It's an easier fight than against Woodley however as it would be in HIS division.

Bisping will beat GSP down, so in that sense it is a hard fight.

It's an easier fight than against Woodley however as it would be in HIS division.

Yeah I think Bisping will beat GSP down.

I think GSP will beat Woodley easy.

Woodley's inactivity is tailor made for GSP to easily outpoint, assuming he doesn't get caught.

He might, but I'm saying GSP would rather not risk a fight with him as if he lost it would damage his legacy as the best WW.

I don't see Woodley beating GSP. I think GSP, aw awful as his hands got, are still better boxer. Woodley is explosive, but I think Hendricks being a southpaw threw GSP off

The claim isn't really that he is taking the easiest fight.

It's that he is taking an unusual fight that maximizes the risk vs. reward tradeoff.

Which isn't surprising. It's reflective of his mindset and how he has managed his career to date.

Bisping has a style that's more easily exploitable by GSP than Woodley does, and styles make fights. Bisping is also the more marketable fight, so why not take it? More money, better chances of winning, and doesn't have to make 170 (which he hasn't done in a few years)? Yeah, it's kind of a no-brainer...

Not an easy fight but he's fighting the worst MW champion in UFC history after he avoided the division like the plague when Anderson was around.

This seems to be what some people are saying. For me, Woodley is a scrub, and Bisping, well Bisping is Bisping, whereas anyone in top 20 in MW division you would be hesitant to not favour against Bisping.

Even if Woodley is as good as some of you think he is, which I would heavily disagree with, prime GSP is just on a different level, no matter how Woodley thinks about his skills. I mean, I guess you wouldn't know if you weren't really around to see it, the excitment that GSP used to bring, mostly before he got ktfo by Serra, but he was something special. And I'd say he is still better than Woodley.

Some may compare this fight to Conor fighting Alvarez, who I thought was the easiest fight out of them all fights that was available back then, including featerweights, some of them, and I made a thread about it, if you don't believe me, it's not hindsight 20/20, and people laughed at me for saying that but where are they now. I thought some featherweights because match ups make fights, and funny how his 'fans' all but disappeared after that fight.

However, this isn't Conor vs Alvarez. This is a win - win fight like that fight for GSP AND Bisping, but GSP doesn't match up that well against Bisping. He's not the same size like Bisping, reach and weight, and Bisping actually have a good takedown defense, and I'm sure Sonnen would agree, Bisping beat Sonnen hands down.

Especially, after coming off a lay off and going up a weight class.

If GSP wins this fight, he should get all the credit in the world he deserves, unlike Conor winning against Alvarez, which for me was a gimme fight for Conor to look good.

One thing I feel is almost completely lost on Sherdog is that excitement you speak of. Half of Sherdog wasn't even into mma the last time he fought. And another 40% wasn't around during the Hughes rivalry. It feels like less than 10% of Sherdog even gets the GSP hype. He definitely brings that aura though.

He might, but I'm saying GSP would rather not risk a fight with him as if he lost it would damage his legacy as the best WW.
You are right in a sense. Woodley is a complete nobody. No one gives a sh!t about him. Beating him isn't that big of a deal compared to beating the MW champion. Tyron is a complete hypocrite criticizing GSP for "Ducking" him to fight a champion in a higher weight class when he tried to duck Wonderboy who is in his weight class and called out Nick "Not Ranked and Retired" Diaz instead. I will laugh my ass off when GSP win or lose vs Bisping skips him to fight Conor and retires. If Woodley would just shut up and fight it would be nice. He even claims Lawler hasn't done enough to deserve a rematch but what did he do to get his title shot? Not fight Hendricks and wait 1 1/2 years. That's What! Guy is not a draw but keeps calling for "Money Fights" LMAO

One thing I feel is almost completely lost on Sherdog is that excitement you speak of. Half of Sherdog wasn't even into mma the last time he fought. And another 40% wasn't around during the Hughes rivalry. It feels like less than 10% of Sherdog even gets the GSP hype. He definitely brings that aura though.

well to be fair, that excitment were all but gone for the most of his fights after Serra knocked him into his next life and aliens brought him back, other than
his first koscheck fight,
Shields
Koscheck 2
Nick Diaz
Serra 2
Perhaps
Fitch and Alves if it was after Serra fight
Hendricks

good thread TS

I disagree but you somehow make a point

Prime GSP beats every version of woodley

IMHO:

- GSP might be out of prime. he certainly did not look in his absolute prime in his last fight (like 4 years ago)

- GSP is ABSOLUTELY SURE he beats Bisping. If not there´s zero chance he signs the contract.....

I also think GSP beats bisping.
Literally.... look at GSP legs and the power he carries... he´ll take down bisping at will due to: superior lower body strenght and very superior wrestling.

At the end of the day Bisping is very lucky to be in the position where he is and to be allowed not to defend against a ranked opponent in 2 full years.

I have a new drinking game for all you alcoholics who don't mind getting shitfaced immediately. The rules state that every time you see the word "legacy" used in a thread about an aging/ed fighter, take a shot. A quick find on the page states there are 6 "Legacies" on this thread and it's not even to 20 posts. I call it "Legacy chasing"

well to be fair, that excitment were all but gone for the most of his fights after Serra knocked him into his next life and aliens brought him back, other than
his first koscheck fight,
Shields
Koscheck 2
Nick Diaz
Serra 2
Perhaps
Fitch and Alves if it was after Serra fight
Hendricks

You're crazy if you don't think the excitement was there for those fights. The results may not have been exhilarating, but the hype was real.

Go back and watch the GSP Diaz fight. Maybe the most hype ever, in the arena before the fight. Rogan actually said in the broadcast when GSP got his name announced it was the loudest cheer he ever heard.

Back