GSP isn't picking the easier fight

Of course choosing Bisping over Woodley has to do with risk/reward management. If he wins, he's a two weight world champion. If he loses, it's because he moved up to face the bigger man. Bisping is almost certainly the easier fight for GSP too, despite the jump up in weight. Woodley is explosive, can easily match George when it comes to timing and speed, and would have the bragging right of defeating GSP at the weight class that he once dominated if he won.

Yes he is. He knows Bisping is vulnerable to the pressure and wrestling game. Woodley tools him in wrestling and is not being outstruck by GSP. Bisping is the weakest champion in the history of the division.

He is absolutely picking the easier fight. He isn't even fighting an elite fighter at 185. Bisping is barely top 10. Probably like 8 or 9 or somewhere like that. Rockhold is the only guy he's ever beaten in the top 10 other than a washed up Anderson.

It still isn't an easy fight for him though. It's better than a Woodley fight. Woodley will KO GSP, and Bisping has pillow fists and GSP knows that he can stand with him and be okay possibly. GSP can also grapple better with Bisping than he can with Woodley.

He is absolutely picking the easier fight. He isn't even fighting an elite fighter at 185. Bisping is barely top 10. Probably like 8 or 9 or somewhere like that. Rockhold is the only guy he's ever beaten in the top 10 other than a washed up Anderson.

It still isn't an easy fight for him though. It's better than a Woodley fight. Woodley will KO GSP, and Bisping has pillow fists and GSP knows that he can stand with him and be okay possibly. GSP can also grapple better with Bisping than he can with Woodley.

Agreed. Bisping has the shittest resume out of all champions and everybody knows it. Anyone that denies it is lying. GSP clearly thinks bisping's the easiest fight for him.

One thing I feel is almost completely lost on Sherdog is that excitement you speak of. Half of Sherdog wasn't even into mma the last time he fought. And another 40% wasn't around during the Hughes rivalry. It feels like less than 10% of Sherdog even gets the GSP hype. He definitely brings that aura though.
I remember always not liking GSP because he was a floyd mayweather like pointfighter who couldn't finish anyone. Used to go get food or something when he fought because i knew it was going 5 rnds ill tune back in 20 mins to catch his decision win.

But now that UFC is getting stupid as fuck I miss him being around shitting on everyone with ease, he seemed unbeatable without the shit talk.

Humm

Bisping is in the 185 division

+ Bisping is a striker

+ GSP is in the 170 division

+ GSP push for this fight

= GSP is afraid of big strikers

Mma math + GSP fan = Biased perspective

Bisping strikes, Woodley puts people to sleep.

What you are missing is that Woodley isn't a draw at all while Bisping is. Comparing their numbers on PPV is only part of the picture. Here are Woodley's fights as a headliner and some of Bisping's since his career as a headliner is much longer.

Woodley

UFC 214 vs Maia Main Event Cormier Jones 2 PPV 860k

UFC 209 vs Thompson Main Event PPV 300k

UFC 205 vs Thompson 3 Title fights McGregor vs Alvarez Main Event PPV1.3M

UFC 201 vs Lawler Main Event PPV 240k

When on his own Tyron draws 250-300k

Michael Bisping

UFC 204 vs Hendo 290k

UFC 199 vs Rockhold 283k

UFC FN 84 vs Anderson Fight Pass event in London

UFC FN 72 vs Leites FS1

UFC FN 55 vs Rockhold Fight Pass Australia

UFC FN 48 vs Cung Le Fight Pass China

UFC 100 vs Hendo 1.3M

When on his own Michael draws close to 300k

The difference is that Mike is from the UK and is Primarily responsible for the UFC getting a broadcasting deal with BT Sport and we have no idea how much that is worth. He has also been used as the main event for Fight Pass cards to bolster subscriptions which is the future of the UFC with the PPV model becoming outdated. Mike has massive value to the UFC beyond PPV but he is also a great foil for GSP as the sh!t takling bad boy.

Beating Woodley is simply getting the WW belt back which he already had and never lost. If Woodley loses to someone else then GSP fights them. Wonderboy, Lawler, RDA, Ceronne, Kelvin etc do not pose or offer anything to GSP beyond a WW title fight. That opportunity is there whenever GSP wants it.

Beating Bisping offers a title in a second weight class, offers more money and is an opportunity that goes away if The Count loses or retires. Fighting any other MW (Whittaker, Luke, Yoel Jacare) that takes the belt offers Georges none of those things. He is less likely to win the MW title from any of those except maybe Whittaker. If GSP had to fight Woodley or Bisping and had to win or be executed with no other considerations such as money or titles do you think he picks Woodley or Bisping? I dont think he cares either way between the two in that scenario. In fact Woodley is a much easier strategy, clinch and wrestle, make him work and tire him out. Can't do that to Bisping.
I think you're largely spot on. Bisping clearly has the wind of the UFC in his sales for some incredibly diffcult to fathom reason. His fights were rarely explosive and he was never beyond the cusp of being a contender till he stepped in for the second Rockhold fight. Woodley definitely has a lower profile despite his more conclusive claim to the belt.

But GSP always has excellent PPV numbers. Fighting Bisping or Woodley wouldn't make much of a difference. Like McGregor he sells them alone. But I believe he chose Bisping because of his plodding one dimensional style and lack of exolosivity. I think he'd have a much harder job taking Woodley down than you think. I think Bisping looks awful if he doesn't or isn't able to keep coming forward and that plays into GSP's game plan completely. Woodley on the other hand basically stood there and waited to counter in his last three fights. That makes it a much greater distance for GSP to breach.

I think you're largely spot on. Bisping clearly has the wind of the UFC in his sales for some incredibly diffcult to fathom reason. His fights were rarely explosive and he was never beyond the cusp of being a contender till he stepped in for the second Rockhold fight. Woodley definitely has a lower profile despite his more conclusive claim to the belt.

But GSP always has excellent PPV numbers. Fighting Bisping or Woodley wouldn't make much of a difference. Like McGregor he sells them alone. But I believe he chose Bisping because of his plodding one dimensional style and lack of exolosivity. I think he'd have a much harder job taking Woodley down than you think. I think Bisping looks awful if he doesn't or isn't able to keep coming forward and that plays into GSP's game plan completely. Woodley on the other hand basically stood there and waited to counter in his last three fights. That makes it a much greater distance for GSP to breach.

I think if GSP were to face Woodley he fights all the way in or from the outside. If Woodley tries to just counter it will be Koscheck II all over. If he tries to mix in wrestling like Hendricks did he has a better chance but GSP will force him to work and will make him gas.

Bisping on the other hand will not gas thats for sure. There is no way GSP makes him gas. I won't be surprised if GSP can get some TDs even with Bisping having very good TDD. I will be surprised if GSP can keep him down and maintain control or land damage. On the feet Bisping and GSP are very even, Georges with better kick boxing and Mike with perhaps better boxing.

I think if we assume GSP is as good as he was in the past then Bisping is a 50/50 where as I think woodley is more 80/20 in George's favour.

Yes he is. He knows Bisping is vulnerable to the pressure and wrestling game. Woodley tools him in wrestling and is not being outstruck by GSP. Bisping is the weakest champion in the history of the division.

<TrumpWrong1>
menne-belt.jpg

This seems to be what some people are saying. For me, Woodley is a scrub, and Bisping, well Bisping is Bisping, whereas anyone in top 20 in MW division you would be hesitant to not favour against Bisping.

Even if Woodley is as good as some of you think he is, which I would heavily disagree with, prime GSP is just on a different level, no matter how Woodley thinks about his skills. I mean, I guess you wouldn't know if you weren't really around to see it, the excitment that GSP used to bring, mostly before he got ktfo by Serra, but he was something special. And I'd say he is still better than Woodley.

Some may compare this fight to Conor fighting Alvarez, who I thought was the easiest fight out of them all fights that was available back then, including featerweights, some of them, and I made a thread about it, if you don't believe me, it's not hindsight 20/20, and people laughed at me for saying that but where are they now. I thought some featherweights because match ups make fights, and funny how his 'fans' all but disappeared after that fight.

However, this isn't Conor vs Alvarez. This is a win - win fight like that fight for GSP AND Bisping, but GSP doesn't match up that well against Bisping. He's not the same size like Bisping, reach and weight, and Bisping actually have a good takedown defense, and I'm sure Sonnen would agree, Bisping beat Sonnen hands down.

Especially, after coming off a lay off and going up a weight class.

If GSP wins this fight, he should get all the credit in the world he deserves, unlike Conor winning against Alvarez, which for me was a gimme fight for Conor to look good.

You want us to believe that Bisping is tougher than Woodley but the above doesn't convince me in the least. Bisping's size isn't going to change that Woodley is better than him which is more important. Bisping lost against Sonnen and even if he had won that doesn't mean jack shit because Sonnen was cheating and still wasn't that good.

Woodley wins fights. He out struck the best striker in his division and out grappled the best grappler. You are out of your mind.

I think if GSP were to face Woodley he fights all the way in or from the outside. If Woodley tries to just counter it will be Koscheck II all over. If he tries to mix in wrestling like Hendricks did he has a better chance but GSP will force him to work and will make him gas.

Bisping on the other hand will not gas thats for sure. There is no way GSP makes him gas. I won't be surprised if GSP can get some TDs even with Bisping having very good TDD. I will be surprised if GSP can keep him down and maintain control or land damage. On the feet Bisping and GSP are very even, Georges with better kick boxing and Mike with perhaps better boxing.

I think if we assume GSP is as good as he was in the past then Bisping is a 50/50 where as I think woodley is more 80/20 in George's favour.
I don't really see it like that. I'm pretty sure GSP would have taken the Woodley fight had he thought it would be easier too. Bisping's boxing defence is shoddy to say the least. I'm sure GSP thinks he can pick him off. And even against a none firing Anderson Bisping looked pretty sluggish in the latter rounds probably from an accrument of blows rather than from a poor gas tank.

But I guess we'll see soon enough.

You want us to believe that Bisping is tougher than Woodley but the above doesn't convince me in the least. Bisping's size isn't going to change that Woodley is better than him which is more important. Bisping lost against Sonnen and even if he had won that doesn't mean jack shit because Sonnen was cheating and still wasn't that good.

Woodley wins fights. He out struck the best striker in his division and out grappled the best grappler. You are out of your mind.

The problem is WW really sucks now, so we have a weak champ but people think he’s good because of it.

The Maia fight should be an indication of how bad he is. That fight was terrible.

The best striker? Ruthless was a great striker years back, he’s old, war torn and just been in the game too long.

Take ruthless from a few years back and he destroys woodley.

Did you see what Marquart did to him? Imagine a fresh lawler be wood today. Would be a murder in the octagon

The new breed is coming but they don’t have the cage time yet and the old guard is just too old.

I bet even askrens ass mauls him.

Jesus why do people think he’s better than bisping and George ?? Laughable.

George Jay Herions woodley all day long.

Bisping's footwork is specially made to be taken down.

Trust me, this fight will be easy for Gsp.

The problem is WW really sucks now, so we have a weak champ but people think he’s good because of it.

The Maia fight should be an indication of how bad he is. That fight was terrible.

The fight wasn't very entertaining but it definitely showed how good Tyron is at winning against anyone. Maia strangles everyone else but couldn't do anything against Tyron. I don't know how you look at that and conclude that Tyron is bad. Tyron won easily.

The best striker? Ruthless was a great striker years back, he’s old, war torn and just been in the game too long.

Take ruthless from a few years back and he destroys woodley.

I was not referring to Ruthless. I was referring to Wonderboy.

Jesus why do people think he’s better than bisping and George ?? Laughable.

George Jay Herions woodley all day long.

Bisping is a very weak champion that ducks the real contenders. There is a reason Sherdoggers agree that Bisping would lose against anyone in the top five. George was a great WW but hasn't fought in so long he is sure to have bad ring rust. If George wanted to prove he was still the best he would be challenging Woodley. Not the weakest MW champion ever.

This post doesn't make a whole lot of sense,

This post doesn't make a whole lot of sense,

If you are going to post that much you could clarify your opinion a bit....

After rereading it I have decided that it still makes sense.

This seems to be what some people are saying. For me, Woodley is a scrub, and Bisping, well Bisping is Bisping, whereas anyone in top 20 in MW division you would be hesitant to not favour against Bisping.

Even if Woodley is as good as some of you think he is, which I would heavily disagree with, prime GSP is just on a different level, no matter how Woodley thinks about his skills. I mean, I guess you wouldn't know if you weren't really around to see it, the excitment that GSP used to bring, mostly before he got ktfo by Serra, but he was something special. And I'd say he is still better than Woodley.

Some may compare this fight to Conor fighting Alvarez, who I thought was the easiest fight out of them all fights that was available back then, including featerweights, some of them, and I made a thread about it, if you don't believe me, it's not hindsight 20/20, and people laughed at me for saying that but where are they now. I thought some featherweights because match ups make fights, and funny how his 'fans' all but disappeared after that fight.

However, this isn't Conor vs Alvarez. This is a win - win fight like that fight for GSP AND Bisping, but GSP doesn't match up that well against Bisping. He's not the same size like Bisping, reach and weight, and Bisping actually have a good takedown defense, and I'm sure Sonnen would agree, Bisping beat Sonnen hands down.

Especially, after coming off a lay off and going up a weight class.

If GSP wins this fight, he should get all the credit in the world he deserves, unlike Conor winning against Alvarez, which for me was a gimme fight for Conor to look good.
You're drunk. Name top 20 MWs outside of top 5, who would be a Vegas betting favorite against Bisping.

Back