Guide to Being a Cornerman

Just wanted to bump this thread.

I will eventually get around to discussing handwraps, but it will be a long post and I'd rather do an instructional vid on youtube. I just do not have a camera at the moment.

I was planning on bumping and sticking this, so here goes. I'll also have a couple tidbits to add this weekend.

This is a great thread,
"SideOfKo" Great info!

Thank Sinister, he had the initial idea. I'm looking to pick his brain in this thread. LOL. He should have some sound advice and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for making this a sticky Sinister. It would be tedious to bump it all the time. LOL.

8. Cotton Swabs. These are used for cuts and nose bleeds. I don't recommend the ones you find at the store. They do not usually have enough cotton. I will go into making your own cotton swabs further in the thread. If I do not someone remind me. Do not stick these in your mouth!! It's unsanitary. And unnecessary.

I'm quite interested in this. When ya have the time please post.

Great thread, some great info on here.

Christ, I forgot all about this thread. Here's two suggestions that I've used in practice in the Gym.

Vitamin K: As you see, Vitamin K is a pretty natural coagulant. But more importantly it's very helpful if you know your Fighter is a nose-bleeder or bruises easily. You have to be careful just how much you use because it can restrict bloodflow to a detrimental point if overused. But if you're around a Fighter for a training camp and notice he bleeds during sparring, or marks up easily, this could be a saving grace that earns you a good reputation.

Arnica Montana (or if you prefer a more manly name, Wolf's bane): Arnica is one of few things Hippies got right. This stuff is phenomenal for bruising, and especially works well with the thin-skinned. Right now it's the single most popular Doctor-recommended homeopathic remedy, and who is recommending it? Plastic surgeons to women before and after surgeries to minimize bruising and heal a wound faster. I learned of using this for Fighters from Mick Williamson, who used it for Ricky Hatton. Ricky's known as a terrible cutter:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1204/box_g_bloody_hatton_580.jpg

Both of these items come cheap. I recommend Arnica by Boiron (the pellets), and particularly the 12c dilution. That's the one best for surface bruising/trauma. If you can't get a hold of 12c, 30c will do. Make these an essential part of your cut kit, especially if you have access to a Fighter who really needs help at least a week before the Fight.

Great thread.

If I can't become a fighter due to either not being talented enough, or due to my arthritis. I'd love to be a coach.

Great thread.

If I can't become a fighter due to either not being talented enough, or due to my arthritis. I'd love to be a coach.

All it takes is a knowledge of the techniques, a mind for strategy, a love for your fighters, and a willingness to learn and to keep learning. Always a student.

That pretty much sums it up!

I remember one time (between losing rounds), my corner gave me instructions between rounds on what to focus on throwing...... and just to check I was paying attention to tell it back to them to make sure I got the point instilled.

The other thing the chief second should do is look at the opponent between rounds and see what they're working on (icing legs, eyes, etc) that shows what damage has been done and is trying to recoup.

Good guide, though!

Good point Dizzydoc -

My job my first time cornering was to hold ice on the back of the guys neck while watching the far corner.

2. Water/Ice. If you do not have water, your fighter will dehydrate. You can use a water bottle if you'd like, or a simple bottle of water. Ice is essential to treat swelling and to cool your fighters body temperature.

Instead of risk having all the ice melt on you, I would recomend buying one of those packs of artificial ice. Essentially there's two chemicals in the bag, one is in a smaller bag inside the bigger bag. You crack it and the two chemicals react forming ice. They last forever until cracked. I'll try and find a link.

Instant Icepacks 24 Pieces per Case | 10-611 | Cheap Pool Products

BTW, never heard of that site before that's just to show you what I mean.

The next subject of focus will be handwrapping.

Aaaaah, handwrapping. Should differentiate between fight time and bag/pads handwrapping. There's several ways do do each, just make sure you don't cut off the circulation in the fingers (easy to do!).

Looking forward to that one.

Instead of risk having all the ice melt on you, I would recomend buying one of those packs of artificial ice. Essentially there's two chemicals in the bag, one is in a smaller bag inside the bigger bag. You crack it and the two chemicals react forming ice. They last forever until cracked. I'll try and find a link.

Instant Icepacks 24 Pieces per Case | 10-611 | Cheap Pool Products

BTW, never heard of that site before that's just to show you what I mean.

I don't recommend those unless the fight is over and you're all out of ice. I would never use that thing in between rounds if that is what you're getting at. I buy enough ice and store it in a cooler and it lasts all day. And when I say all day I mean all day long. Just regular old ice. Nothing better than that man. I wouldn't waste my money.

Aaaaah, handwrapping. Should differentiate between fight time and bag/pads handwrapping. There's several ways do do each, just make sure you don't cut off the circulation in the fingers (easy to do!).

Looking forward to that one.

I will get to handwrapping eventually. I want to do a video on it which is why it's taking so much time because I don't have what one would call sufficient currency right now. LOL.

Back