Gunnar Nelson needs a fight, how bout Gunnar Nelson vs Jake Matthews for UFC Adelaide

SUBLIME FAN

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think this is a great matchup. What are your thoughts? I think Matthews is severely under looked. He could be a force at 170.

Thoughts?

giphy.gif

Tho it will never happen, I would love to see Gunni vs Khabib. People forget hoe good Gunni is because he chose to grapple with Maia and then got eye poke KO'd by Ponz. He out struck Tumenov, toyed with the guy that beat the fuck out of Platinum, and has an elite ground game and great striking. Hopefully they make a 165 pound division and Gunni can crack there. He is also still very young, people forget that.

I got Gunnar in that fight. He has a habit of being hit or miss but I've been impressed with his fights. I wouldn't be surprised if he can string some together and get into title contention. He got destroyed by Maia on the ground but he did some pretty slick moves on him to reverse position and his striking is pretty good too.

Tho it will never happen, I would love to see Gunni vs Khabib. People forget hoe good Gunni is because he chose to grapple with Maia and then got eye poke KO'd by Ponz. He out struck Tumenov, toyed with the guy that beat the fuck out of Platinum, and has an elite ground game and great striking. Hopefully they make a 165 pound division and Gunni can crack there. He is also still very young, people forget that.
Gunnar is a great fighter. Striking and grappling on very high level. He should rematch Ponz. Those pokes messed him up badly.

I like it a lot actally. Matthews needs a step up, Gunnar needs a step down. Will be interesting.

Too big of a step up for Matthews. He literally has one good win to his name, against the Leech.
If there's anyone that deserves a step up and is severely underlooked at 170, it's Vicente Luque. Gunnar vs. Luque is a good fight to make, IMHO. Matthews can fight Niko Price or Alan Jouban.

IMO, Nelson's inactivity has hindered as ability to get any career tread.

The one-sided mauling by Maia stalled slowed the hype after a promising start in the UFC. Hopefully for his sake, the hiatus he has been on since the Ponzinibbio knockout will help him clear the cobwebs and get on track again.

A bout with Matthews would be a great matchup. Both guys seem to be a bit undersized for welterweight, and would seem to be a fairly even pairing. However I would assume that the promotion will turn to others when announcing their next opponents.

Back