Gunnar's BJJ off his back

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Was very underwhelming, no? Anyone else thinking this could be a big problem if he ever makes it to the top of the division against guys like Colby and usman and woodley? It seems like he couldn't even keep oliveira in guard. The difference between is top game and bottom game was alarming in that fight.

Hard to say since Cowboy could simply land shots off of Gunnar's guard with his long limbs, yet he did actually mange to sweep him with leg lock attempt so.

I agree that his bjj wouldn't work to top rankers though.

I don't think that was a great representation of his grappling off his back, the very first strike Cowboy threw when he got on top was huge and landed flush, and he kept throwing. I think Gunnar was in survival mode and a lot more hurt than people realized. he was close to being stopped but he is just so damn stoic he didn't really show it. He even said as much after the fight.

That said, he's not really a guard player but his scrambling and standups have looked better than that. He's definitely a top position grappler. Cowboy is probably one of the strongest dudes in the division too.

I don't think that was a great representation of his grappling off his back, the very first strike Cowboy threw when he got on top was huge and landed flush, and he kept throwing. I think Gunnar was in survival mode and a lot more hurt than people realized. he was close to being stopped but he is just so damn stoic he didn't really show it. He even said as much after the fight.

That said, he's not really a guard player but his scrambling and standups have looked better than that. He's definitely a top position grappler. Cowboy is probably one of the strongest dudes in the division too.

Yeah, I'm just hoping he'll get to the point where maia was at: where nobody wanted to grapple with him period.

But as of right now I can see many fighters taking gunnar down and being just fine on top. I'll need to see more of him working off bottom before I change my opinion. It was still a solid performance, though.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm just hoping he'll get to the point where maia was at: where nobody wanted to grapple with him period.

But as of right now, I can see many fighters taking gunnar down and being just fine on top. I'll need to see more of him working off bottom before I change my opinion. It was still a solid performance, though.

yeah he has one of the best top games in the division easily but I don't think his guard is anything special. I think a lot of guys would be fine in his guard but it probably isn't worth the risk because his reversals are solid and you don't want him on top of you. his transitions on top are so smooth and he just works people over thoroughly

Don't worry, he isn't making it to the top of the division.

Was very underwhelming, no? Anyone else thinking this could be a big problem if he ever makes it to the top of the division against guys like Colby and usman and woodley? It seems like he couldn't even keep oliveira in guard. The difference between is top game and bottom game was alarming in that fight.
Striking was lame. Oliver is hard dude lanky af.good kick boxer Alex. Things was greasing

Yeah, I don't think he has anything for the stronger wrestlers in his division. Needs to seriously consider cutting weight.

A lot of really good grapplers aren't much off of their backs. Just like how a lot of really good strikers aren't great if they're pressure and force to fight moving backwards. Probably an example of no one they train with being able to put them in those situations in the gym.

It was shit, likde the resto of the SBG fighters.
939540-2018-10-07t053507z-740632313-nocid-rtrmadp-3-mma-ufc-229-nurmagomedov-vs-mcgregor.jpg
Gunnar+Nelson+Demian+Maia+UFC+194+Aldo+vs+vMCFeHTBa_al.jpg
UFC-Moncton-results-Michael-Johnson-wins-decision-over-Artem-Lobov.jpeg

how lame do you have to be to hate a whole gym of fighters because you don't like Conor? Gunnar is a cool ass dude, was a fan before I knew who the fuck that guy conor was.

Do you think he has top 5 potential? Where do you think his absolute ceiling is in the division?

I don't know. Right now I have him as a gatekeeper for the top 10 ish guys. He'll need to make some more improvements if he wants to be a contender.

I don't know. Right now I have him as a gatekeeper for the top 10 ish guys. He'll need to make some more improvements if he wants to be a contender.
His striking has to improve or he will never contend. If he cant get a takedown with that level of striking hes in for a long night against any top 5.

Gunni always been know as a top game guy, but yes a bit surprised as well.

He is still a tad soft for ww. He needs a 165 division. If he continues to absorb big punches from these big dudes he is gonna have a bad time.

Obvi an elite grappler can triangle anyone in 10 seconds, right?

He needs to stop the idealism and start cutting weight.

At 155 he'd be a beast. He's got the speed for it for sure.

His best hope is that 165 becomes a thing I guess.

I don't see him getting in the top 5 let alone top 3.

Guy is top 15 and his best bet is to crack the top 10 he has no chance vs the top wrestlers and he won't get down the other top strikers.

Back