Gym Idiots Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
everyone in my town's gym is a idiot, nobody except me does sqauts and deadlifts there

Strength is universal. Being able to squat and deadlift a lot of weight will transfer over to a lot of things. I used to work in tree trimming and I was the grunt. That meant I took logs and huge piles of brush and ran them through the chipper, all day, and I was damn good at it. You know why? Cause I squatted and deadlifted. I didn't do any functional bullshit.

Having worked in a warehouse I've moved fridges around, and even heavier shit. You know why I'm able to? Squats and deadlifts. No functional baloney. The gym is not some mystic separate world. The strength you build in the gym will transfer over to your everyday life. I recommend you read the FAQ. Even if you've read it before, go read it again.

strong is strong like you said. some people are naturally strong, as it seems you are. deadlifts and squats might have helped, but i'm betting you would of been fine at your job without the before mentioned lifts. i think it has to do with it being a simple movement, not much skill involved, which in my mind is where functionality comes into play.

as far as functional strength, there is a definite difference between "gym" strength and "functional" sports applied strength. sometimes an individual has both, strong in the gym and on the field/ring/court/etc. i think it has to do with the type of strength you have, and where and how you apply it. I've thrown around and dominated people in training that lift WAY more than me in the gym, the difference is that their not always athletic/coordinated/skilled in certain things. you ever see a STRONG man throw a football, shoot a basketball, etc.??? it's hilarious, all that strength and they can throw a football 20 yards.

functionality is skill, you build skill through repetition.

let me please add, this isn't the case all the time. i'm just trying to make a point, gym strength doesn't ALWAYS carry over to sports/functional applications.

you ever see a STRONG man throw a football, shoot a basketball, etc.??? it's hilarious, all that strength and they can throw a football 20 yards.

Your confusing skill and strength - I don't think anyone will argue that strength training gives you sports specific skills. Quarterbacks aren't stronger than offensive lineman, and the ability to throw a football is a skill to be learned and not a display of physical strength.

Your definition of "functionality" seems to be "sports-related skills". The best powerlifters aren't necessarily good football linemen, but it has nothing to do with a lack of "functional strength (?)"; rather its a lack of skills.

strong is strong like you said. some people are naturally strong, as it seems you are. deadlifts and squats might have helped, but i'm betting you would of been fine at your job without the before mentioned lifts. i think it has to do with it being a simple movement, not much skill involved, which in my mind is where functionality comes into play.

as far as functional strength, there is a definite difference between "gym" strength and "functional" sports applied strength. sometimes an individual has both, strong in the gym and on the field/ring/court/etc. i think it has to do with the type of strength you have, and where and how you apply it. I've thrown around and dominated people in training that lift WAY more than me in the gym, the difference is that their not always athletic/coordinated/skilled in certain things. you ever see a STRONG man throw a football, shoot a basketball, etc.??? it's hilarious, all that strength and they can throw a football 20 yards.

functionality is skill, you build skill through repetition.

let me please add, this isn't the case all the time. i'm just trying to make a point, gym strength doesn't ALWAYS carry over to sports/functional applications.

About my old job, what I meant to say is that I was better at my job than the other guys (once I got used to the long hours of course). I moved bigger loads in less of a time than other workers.

And now you are confusing strength and skill. Strength will transfer over to a sport when you develop the skills for the sport. You beat some stronger guys then you because you were better skilled, not because their strength was any less "functional" then yours. Look at what happened to Marius when he entered MMA. Lots of dumbasses said that he lost because he didn't have "functional" strength but the reality is he got beat by fighters more skilled then him. Same goes for all sports. Some stronger athletes just don't do as good because of their lack of skill/experience. But everyone wants to point the "functional" finger.

My latest annoyance is people that think they are crossfitters but they are not at at crossfit gym. I was at my local 24 Hour fitness and there was some dude doing walking lunges while dressed like he walked right out of a Reebok crossfit commercial with stupid sneakers, knee high socks, headband that were all lime green and color coirdinated.

There was another guy trying to teach his girlfriend how to do a hang power snatch while he was using an olympic bar with no plates and she was using a 20 lb curling bar ...and they were occupying the 1 power rack/squat rack in the entire gym while they were doing it

My latest annoyance is people that think they are crossfitters but they are not at at crossfit gym. I was at my local 24 Hour fitness and there was some dude doing walking lunges while dressed like he walked right out of a Reebok crossfit commercial with stupid sneakers, knee high socks, headband that were all lime green and color coirdinated.

There was another guy trying to teach his girlfriend how to do a hang power snatch while he was using an olympic bar with no plates and she was using a 20 lb curling bar ...and they were occupying the 1 power rack/squat rack in the entire gym while they were doing it

Haha, yeah I saw some chick at the gym today doing like a million hang snatches with just the bar, I wanted to ask her if she was doing Crossfit. She was kinda hot.

Haha, yeah I saw some chick at the gym today doing like a million hang snatches with just the bar, I wanted to ask her if she was doing Crossfit. She was kinda hot.

This chick was hot too and with her boyfriend. I still wanted to go over and show her how to do the movement correctly unlike what her boyfriend was doing

This chick was hot too and with her boyfriend. I still wanted to go over and show her how to do the movement correctly unlike what her boyfriend was doing

Even if you taught them I doubt they would remember it.

holy shit I felt like battering someone at the gym this morning.

I had already just missed a bench PR attempt, and I went to the bathroom. When I got back, this guy had taken my bench, bear in mind my towel, phone, water bottle and wrist wraps were in a pile next to the bench, and he had been nearby while I was just using it.

i didnt want to get into a pissing contest with the guy so I just moved my stuff over to the adjacent bench, which yes you guessed it had been free the entire time. whilst I was then doing my BBB sets the guy asks me to spot him!

I dont recall how much weight he had on the bar but he got one rep quite easily, but hit a sticking point on his second. The bar wasnt going back down, but he asked me to help, sounding quite pissed off the fact that I hadnt already. I racked his bar then left the area.

Anyway, my assistance exercise is seated cable rows. I did I couple of sets, went to refill my bottle, leaving my towel next to the machine. When I got back the same guy had decided to use the machine as a table for his towel and phone while he did something quite homoerotic on the cable crossover bit. I had to actually ask him to move his shit from the seat, which is around 3 inches off the floor, to the floor.

I also overheard the gym owner "coaching" a scrawny young lad who was new to the gym, teaching him how to do rope pulldowns for his triceps. Apparently its not important how much weight you lift, just to feel a "burn" after you have done as many reps as you can. So there you go, everyone who posts on this forum is wrong.

^ Just recently started using it, very satisfied with how it feels. I've never used real chalk for lifting so I'll not compare, but the liquid stuff works good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back