Gym Idiots Thread VII

I train at a gym with a swimming pool and it has one of those observation stands on the second floor. There was a guy doing walking lunges up and down this on wednesday. Not particularly stupid on its own, (apart from managing to get in just about everyones way) but from the swiming pool it must have been hillarious, seeing his little head popping up and down over the rail.

Today I head some old guy in the street say 'feel the biceps in my shoulder' to his wife.... And a personal trainer and his harem of women just sitting on a yoga mat in the middle of the weights area doing... nothing

Everything about this video made me realize I should find a new gym.

Theres a yoga mat jammed between the bar and the guys back. It was even more precariously and ridiculous-looking on the prior set, which is really what caught my eye.
Thats not even the worst thing I saw that day. A guy in his mid-late 20's taking a younger guy 17-19yo through a machine work out. First blast the Lats on the hammer strength plate lever pull downs, then some leg press with knee wraps on (not knee sleeves), then blast the lats some more with wide grip partner-assisted lat pulldowns, with every extra 5lb weight in the area added on top of the cable stack, even though the full weight of the stack wasnt selected, then blast the lats some more with some terrible looking seated cable rows. Just sad.

It is retro fitness. The thing is, if I drive 40min north, (20min drive in most other states without 5,000 traffic light per square mile and nonsensical traffic patterns), the retro fitness has a power rack, a squat rack, a trap bar, farmers walk handles, T-bar, nicer bars, and a bunch of awesome stuff. The owner of this branch is obviously just trying to take peoples money and doesnt care. There are "chalk use will result in immediate termination of membership" signs around and stuff.

Today I head some old guy in the street say 'feel the biceps in my shoulder' to his wife.

In his defense there are two biceps muscles that cross the shoulder joint.
In your defense I doubt that that individual could pick out the individual tendons or even know where they are.

Not sure if it's a gym idiot moment but I saw a guy doing power cleans with a sumo stance. Legit or not?

It is retro fitness. The thing is, if I drive 40min north, (20min drive in most other states without 5,000 traffic light per square mile and nonsensical traffic patterns), the retro fitness has a power rack, a squat rack, a trap bar, farmers walk handles, T-bar, nicer bars, and a bunch of awesome stuff. The owner of this branch is obviously just trying to take peoples money and doesnt care. There are "chalk use will result in immediate termination of membership" signs around and stuff.

Yeah I worked at retro fitness in atlanta and it was horrible. The manager was basically trying to con every member out of as much money as possible. Eventually I just quit. Not 6 months later that business tanked.

Observed this phenomena earlier today

Filmed with my HTC potato

Last edited:
Pretty darn functional if you ask me!

Or sportspecific for paddling up waterfalls like salmon

You should have heard some of the noises he was making.

After this he rolls up to the preacher curl and loads up a quarter on each side, starts screaming as he curls it.

Superset with hammer curl, of course.

I worked out at an Extreme Fitness over the holidays (for free!) and saw lots of silliness. My 2 favourites were:
-guy lifting up his shirt like 30ft away from a mirror to check out his abs
-a guy wearing a belt to do tricep extensions on cable machine and barbell shrugs

I mean, I've seen people subtly checking themselves out in the mirror, but never from the middle of the room!

I worked out at an Extreme Fitness over the holidays (for free!) and saw lots of silliness. My 2 favourites were:
-guy lifting up his shirt like 30ft away from a mirror to check out his abs
-a guy wearing a belt to do tricep extensions on cable machine and barbell shrugs

I mean, I've seen people subtly checking themselves out in the mirror, but never from the middle of the room!

The high school kids at my gym are always flexing in the mirror. Not the subtle flex, but full on body building poses accompanied by some comment like " now that's what I call (insert body part)". Of course they make sure to look around and see how many "impressed" bystanders are taking notice.

Had a local "trainer" come up to me and begin to tell me that I should look down, bend at the back and shrug my shoulders forward with my chest in as I do kettlebell swings, while I am actually doing the f*cking swings.

Had a local "trainer" come up to me and begin to tell me that I should look down, bend at the back and shrug my shoulders forward with my chest in as I do kettlebell swings, while I am actually doing the f*cking swings.

Did you bludgeon him with said kettlebell?

Did you bludgeon him with said kettlebell?

Heh, I should have, but she also doubles as the owner of the gym. But I bet my 18kg bell could have done some damage and still given me a decent workout. :icon_lol:

I saw a guy do some sort of awkward shoulder press with the leg press machine a few weeks ago...

Creative AND functional IMO.

Really was taken back by some of the idiocy today. Guy loaded up the bar with 45's on each side went into deadlift position. He proceeded to explode up into what I can only describe as a Jumping Shrug Deadlift.

He did this all while sounding like he needed very badly to shit himself.

Back