Gym Idiots v10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearse Shields

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Since the last one is over 1,000 posts by now.

[YT]ZKkJ7wdBtL8[/YT]

I was hoping for some sort of final destination-esque death scene.

This is more of an anti-gym-idiot story:

Just had lunch with a mate who's been doing cross fit for 3 months and he says "I want to go to a normal gym, so I can properly get stronger"

Yesterday I was asked by a woman that what weights she should use for high reps to burn fat better. Then I told her that it's more about the diet than exercising where she responded "but food is so good!".

Yesterday I was asked by a woman that what weights she should use for high reps to burn fat better. Then I told her that it's more about the diet than exercising where she responded "but food is so good!".

That's not idiocy, that's humanity.

Nope, it's idiocy alright.

Personally I find it a normal and entirely understandable reaction. Arguably it's just a verbalization of an emotional response. To have that reaction doesn't, to me, indicate any level of stupidity or poorness of judgement. What would be idiocy would be to continue consuming massively more calories than you burned, while having weight loss as a major goal and fully understanding the connection between calorie balance and changes in bodyweight.

Personally I find it a normal and entirely understandable reaction. Arguably it's just a verbalization of an emotional response. To have that reaction doesn't, to me, indicate any level of stupidity or poorness of judgement. What would be idiocy would be to continue consuming massively more calories than you burned, while having weight loss as a major goal and fully understanding the connection between calorie balance and changes in bodyweight.

If you wanted to be specific about it, it depends on the context. If it was a "but food is so good" as a deliberately funny/cute/cheesy comment, then sure, that has nothing to do with idiocy. If it was a "but food is so good and that's why I want to look for special shortcuts" it's an emotional response that indicates denial/unwillingness to grasp a simple fact simply because it's not agreeable.

If it was a "but food is so good and that's why I want to look for special shortcuts" it's an emotional response that indicates denial/unwillingness to grasp a simple fact simply because it's not agreeable.

I think initial resistance to disagreeable facts is natural, the question is what happens next. Does the person allow reason to prevail and knuckle down, or do they continue to deny and mire themselves in irrationality and self-deception? So I would still hold off on the judgement of idiocy.

This morning as I went to do my second set of squats, I felt that the bar hit something on my left side during the descending phase of the first rep. Someone didn't pay attention and moved an upright bench in my way (yes, this is a very small gym). And that same person didn't even move when he saw me in trouble, he just kept playing with his phone. Thanks asshole.

I think it was probably me being the gym idiot last time... I was trying to improvise a glute ham raise machine. I made a passable effort out of a smith machine and a few benches, but i got some very strange looks

I think initial resistance to disagreeable facts is natural, the question is what happens next. Does the person allow reason to prevail and knuckle down, or do they continue to deny and mire themselves in irrationality and self-deception? So I would still hold off on the judgement of idiocy.

I can see your point, Jaunty. It's a valid one.

It's just that I've seen it so many times where people ask for info to reach their goals, when in reality they aren't willing to "sacrifice" anything and are just looking for shortcuts.

I've seen people's minds explode when they ask me about my diet and I tell them "don't eat sugar; at all".

Knowing this person it will be the later of these two options.

I just found it to be in a away mildly idiotic because if was one of those "light weights and high reps to tone, right?" type of questions. Then when I asked why not go heavy the answer was "I don't want to build muscle there I want it toned". And we were discussing over the leg-curl machine.

Maybe I should've included that to my original post.

To continue on that trend, here is BOSU in a SMITH machine. For the functional stability or something like that...
[YT]i0E32dzbfY8[/YT]

Just read that at german MMA-site

[YT]gJvL2L2qwiw[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back