Half Life

Half life 3 is coming out any time now...

DNsXXq9.jpg

Half Life franchise is officially dead. Lead developers left Valve over last few years, leaving a handful enjoying warm and comfy office chairs doing nothing as Steam makes money now.

Three people spoke in this topic before me, I think it's safe to say Half Life 3 is confirmed.

Valve no longer finds it a reasonable effort of their time and resources to create a self contained single player experience.

Same reason they didn’t do left for dead 3. Its better to just let live rather than disappoint people with another sequel.

Not saying it wouldn’t be a good game but it’s always a possibility and maybe they don’t want to take that chance

this is like asking if we will ever see Sakuraba vs Rickson

I remember reading something about an anonymous Valve employee (So pinch of salt) saying there'd been many proposals and attempts to get HL3 off the ground over the years but they all got shitcanned, mainly due to office politics

We will never see half life 3 this should be obvious

I remember reading something about an anonymous Valve employee (So pinch of salt) saying there'd been many proposals and attempts to get HL3 off the ground over the years but they all got shitcanned, mainly due to office politics

Seems entirely plausible. No doubt there are some at Valve that would love to make another. And obviously those voices are not influential enough to make it happen, and more influential voices are kiboshing it.

Long story short: Valve turned into a shit company.

They haven't done a noteworthy SP game since Portal 2, and that's over 7 years old now.

Their last MP hit was Dota 2. That game is 5 years old.

Last edited:

They haven't done a noteworthy SP game since Portal 2, and that's over 7 years old now.

All of the big players are going this way. It is better for the bank and investors to produce games that print money for years (microtransactions), than to pump out a game that will fly off shelves for a couple of months and then stop bringing in funds.

half-life 3 would probably be open world with side quests, collectibles, dlc and focus on multiplayer

not sure why everyone wants it

Valve are printing money with Steam, they don't need to do anything else.

I wouldn't say they're a shit company. They're the best at what they do. But their focus is no longer on development. Although that appears to be changing, but the games won't be the single player campaigns like the HL series.

Back