Hall vs Penn

Prime Penn would have crushed Ryan Hall. On the ground and ofcourse standing. What proof do we have that Hall is better on the ground than BJ? BJ is a shell of his former self. It's not even close, so he will probably lose this fight. But Prime Penn? Better everywhere.
Ryan hall as a style that bj has never seen before. I'd say that in pure Bjj a sub happens via leg lock.

Last edited:
Ryan hall as a style that bj has never seen before. I'd are that pure Bjj a sub happens via leg lock.

Pure BJJ isn't MMA though. Prime Penn's grappling for MMA was among the best ever. I think Ryan is probably more or less in the same class as Penn in terms of pure BJJ skill, but I don't know that his game is as tailored to MMA as BJ's. Can you imagine Penn spending as much time on Artem Lobov's back as Ryan Hall did and not finishing him.

Of course on the feet BJ Penn in his prime would have taken a guy like Ryan Hall apart with ease. At his best BJ was one of the greatest fighters of all time, he just wasn't at his best for very many fights. But the BJ that beat Diego Sanchez would be competitive with anyone in the history of the LW division.

Pure BJJ isn't MMA though. Prime Penn's grappling for MMA was among the best ever. I think Ryan is probably more or less in the same class as Penn in terms of pure BJJ skill, but I don't know that his game is as tailored to MMA as BJ's. Can you imagine Penn spending as much time on Artem Lobov's back as Ryan Hall did and not finishing him.

Of course on the feet BJ Penn in his prime would have taken a guy like Ryan Hall apart with ease. At his best BJ was one of the greatest fighters of all time, he just wasn't at his best for very many fights. But the BJ that beat Diego Sanchez would be competitive with anyone in the history of the LW division.
Maybe but bj isn't that bj anymore. I have hall via kick Fest.

The announcement of this fight has prompted me to go back and watch some of BJ's fights and him rolling with people. Fuck BJ's so good at jiu-jitsu. Such an awesome style. I'd love to see him do a master's superfight with someone like Leo Vieira at ADCC or something like that.

I think Ryan is probably more or less in the same class as Penn in terms of pure BJJ skill, but I don't know that his game is as tailored to MMA as BJ's. .

I think they're in the same class but Hall's BJJ is very MMA focused I think. It has been for a while. His rolling style in the practice room is all primarily top pressure passing and a mount from hell. Even in his pro MMA fights before the UFC I think he mostly was just taking people down and mounting them. At the same time you can't argue with BJ being famous for his BJJ in MMA.

The announcement of this fight has prompted me to go back and watch some of BJ's fights and him rolling with people. Fuck BJ's so good at jiu-jitsu. Such an awesome style. I'd love to see him do a master's superfight with someone like Leo Vieira at ADCC or something like that.

He never fails to inspire. I still watch that passing highlight every couple months.

Hopefully bj's ego will give us a nice ground battle for once. He probably knows he can keep it standing all night and box the shit out of Ryan.
But bj being a warrior will most likely make him take Hall down and try to prove his jiu jitsu is still strong enough to hang.

The same Ryan Hall that seemed to have his merry way standing vs Gray Maynard? I accept though that Gray was deathly afraid of getting close to Ryan for fear of being on the ground but to say the current iteration of BJ will have his way with Ryan standing is tough. And I like BJ..

Not on a regular basis but enough times over the years to say that he has some of the most intense pressure I've ever felt.

I've never rolled with anyone elite of any size who didn't have ridiculous pressure.

His passing really was revolutionary. When I was developing my no-gi passing game I went back to him a lot, and I've taken a lot from his style (him and Demian Maia, mostly). The way he used the chair sit and leg weaving was way ahead of its time.

His passing really was revolutionary. When I was developing my no-gi passing game I went back to him a lot, and I've taken a lot from his style (him and Demian Maia, mostly). The way he used the chair sit and leg weaving was way ahead of its time.
Totally. I still don't think I've seen anyone use chair sits like him.

This video is a rare gem but I've always gone back to it

That’s some awesome footage to dissect.

The same Ryan Hall that seemed to have his merry way standing vs Gray Maynard? I accept though that Gray was deathly afraid of getting close to Ryan for fear of being on the ground but to say the current iteration of BJ will have his way with Ryan standing is tough. And I like BJ..
That fight is a prime example that I mentioned earlier. Everyone is bitching at Ryan for being a boring fighter. Why didn’t Gray engage more? I know he was fearful of Ryan’s ground game but he was also shutting down Ryan — Schaub style. It’s hard to engage when the other guy doesn’t want to do shit.

This vid illustrates a really important point that to a certain extent unifies the passing approaches of Maia and Penn: if you can effectively attach to the upper body, your hips and legs are totally free to float as needed because there's not much risk of getting swept. Once I started focusing on gaining upper body control rather than passing directly to side my results improved a lot.

This vid illustrates a really important point that to a certain extent unifies the passing approaches of Maia and Penn: if you can effectively attach to the upper body, your hips and legs are totally free to float as needed because there's not much risk of getting swept. Once I started focusing on gaining upper body control rather than passing directly to side my results improved a lot.
Yeah and this has become my favorite way to pass over the past 2 years. I used to play around with it but in the past 2 years it's become my primary style of passing. I don't have it where I want it but it's been rewarding to work it.

I really hope this is a grappling match. I would love to see Bj and Hall roll all over the octagon. I know the UFC fans and Dana hate that shit, but I'd love every second of it.

I like both Hall and Penn, I've learned from both of these guys,the truth is that it doesn't matter who wins. Penn is idiotic with matches, he chose to box it out with diaz while he could have easily subbed him because diaz was provoking him and then he started crying and posting all kind of weird shit over the social media and then he "retired".

Back