Handball in USA

The Penetrator

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My country hosts an european handball championships atm, so handball is all over the tv and im watching quite alot of it lately, and i was wondering do folks in USA even realize this sport exists?

Im a sports fan in general, watch alot of different sports, and i must say handball games can be extremely fun. I cant help but think that handball could be extremely popular in USA if you guys packed it american way ( measure tons of stats, give teams names like "lightning" or "cats" or something, have a tv break every 2 minutes to show hamburger, make players pop figures so audience gets attatched to their personal stories... ) and you guys could be world champions probably in a decade or so, specially since you got black guys. Here only France has a couple of black guys and theyre already champs every other year....

Handball requires strenght, physical toughness ( no flopping whatsoever ) , speed, agility, you see crossovers and alley oops and spinning shit, its a high scoring game, its really fast paced, so i really see no reason why it wouldnt be super popular in USA if some money was thrown in it.

Not many handball videos out there since its not played in many countries, here are some highlights if you guys dont even know what im talking about here :D :

So question is, are people in USA even aware this sport exists? If yes, any other reasons noone in USA play it other than there is no money thrown in it atm?

Last edited:
people have heard of it. but i also think more people think it is closer to racquetball than what we see in the video. i literally do not know a single person that plays it

people have heard of it. but i also think more people think it is closer to racquetball than what we see in the video. i literally do not know a single person that plays it

There is a different Irish sport called Gaelic handball that is more like that. I think it's technically part of the GAA but people hardly play it either.

The European handball is interesting though.

Not gonna lie that actually looks like if it wasn't played by D level athletes in third world shit holes would be a sick sport. Looks like soccer with hands, which has to be infinitely more entertaining than soccer with feet.

Yeah I was assuming it was where people hit the balls off the wall. That was my idea of handball.

Not gonna lie that actually looks like if it wasn't played by D level athletes in third world shit holes would be a sick sport. Looks like soccer with hands, which has to be infinitely more entertaining than soccer with feet.

Only thing from soccer is that it has similair goals, and a goalie...

Rest of it is more of a mix between basketball ( crossovers, alley oops, jumping, similair passing pattern, high scoring with about 30 goals per team per game ) and maybe american football or rugby, cause its a pretty rough and physical sport, they arent allowed to tackle like in american football but alot of contact is allowed that makes it uncomparable to basketball or soccer...

Heres a clip

Also what i just realized, compression gear with some padding is perfect for handball, so your athletes can look even more like some supernatural heroes, something that is very important in USA from my experience :)

Last edited:

Ignoring the usual, dull 'D-Level, third world shithole' schitck, you'd probably like Gaelic Football if you like the idea of something similar to soccer but...better.

crowley-shoulder-2.gif

Yeah I was assuming it was where people hit the balls off the wall. That was my idea of handball.

That's Gaelic handball, not very popular here either...looks a bit shit. The handball in this thread actually looks kind of interesting.

People play it here and there are leagues. But it seems like the only people I see play it are old dudes at the YMCA

As a young lad I was really in to some pocket pool. Actually still am

Not so Fun Fact:

Handball was introduce in the Olympics in 1936 because it was Hitler's favorite sport.

Diet Doctor Pepper

Handball is played in prison.

Back