Handling fear in a streetfight

Jordan1997

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi!
So i've been training Jiu Jitsu several years and competed in mma twice,winning both fights
I recently had an altercation whilst out with my girlfriend
And i noticed something different,i was really scared,a different type of fear than competition
i felt weak,powerless,and couldn't really think straight
Before competitions i always meditate to calm down
But that isn't really possible when you're randomly approached
I felt like i really didn't want to fight at all,like i had no skills
I took the guy down and caught him in a shoulder lock,he gave up but still attempted to continue the fight when i let go and stood back up.
I guess what i'm asking is,how do i control fear in a self defense situation,how do i not let it overwhelm me completely?
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks!

Hi!
So i've been training Jiu Jitsu several years and competed in mma twice,winning both fights
And i noticed something different,i was really scared,a different type of fear than competition
I took the guy down and caught him in a shoulder lock,he gave up but still attempted to continue the fight when i let go and stood back up.
I guess what i'm asking is,how do i control fear in a self defense situation,how do i not let it overwhelm me completely?
Thanks!
Just bang harder

Hi!
Thanks!

Choke the fucker out.

Just think that you could be on one of the many 'Worldstar' knockout videos.. exciting times...

You handled it best. That is the best thing you could have done. The only way to conquer your fear is to keep doing it. The problem arises because you don't want to fight every weekend. I wouldn't recommend fighting in da streetz every weekend any way.

Take comfort that you were able to handle yourself in that situation. You defended yourself and your girl and that is the best outcome. Your training paid off.

Because in a sport there are rules and a referee to keep you as safe as possible.. in your situation there were neither of those, plus on the street there is a realistic possibility of your opponent having a weapon or friends jumping in.

Your reaction was pretty normal

Because in a sport there are rules and a referee to keep you as safe as possible.. in your situation there were neither of those, plus on the street there is a realistic possibility of your opponent having a weapon or friends jumping in.

Your reaction was pretty normal
Shut up. He handled it best. Stop talking about shit that is out of your control. Multiple opponents and all other bullshit is out of your control. You can only do what you can.

sparring helps

after being punched in the face on a regular basis, that fear kinda dissipates

Look into Geoff Thompson, he has made a study of fear and was a top self defence guy before he moved on with his life. He has loads of great stuff on fear and got started working as a bouncer in an attempt to overcome his own fear of violence.

Hi!
Thanks!
Should have broke that dudes arm . Fuck him .

Hi!
Thanks!
confidence comes with experience bro, ive had more fights than hot dinners and its 2nd nature now, most dudes on the street cant fight for shit so get in and end it quick, i rarely drink when im out on the town cause i no shit will go down and want to be fuly aware of my surroundings

Shut up. He handled it best. Stop talking about shit that is out of your control. Multiple opponents and all other bullshit is out of your control. You can only do what you can.
Lol where did I say he didn't handle it well? He asked why he felt afraid in a street fight but not in an MMA fight.

I explained why it was normal to still be afraid.

At no point did I say anything negative about his reaction.

In a street fight adrenaline takes over & I do work. I've only been in two street fights though. Both times I snapped right away so there was no fear. More like pure blacked out rage. You'd be sureprised what you're capable of when that happens.

But yeah without adrenalin or anger I'd probably be fucked. I wouldn't fear getting beat up though. I'd fear the embarrassment of losing & getting my ass kicked in front of people, but that's it.

Look into Geoff Thompson, he has made a study of fear and was a top self defence guy before he moved on with his life. He has loads of great stuff on fear and got started working as a bouncer in an attempt to overcome his own fear of violence.

He was sexually abused by gay paedophiles as a child that's where his anger and aggression came from. He admitted this later in life.

Apparently Mike Tyson was as well.

Yeah it was his martial arts teacher who he idolised that did it, causing him to quit martial arts for a while. I met Geoff, might be this nicest guy I have have ever spoken to. Really inspiring too. He gave a load of his books and DVDs as a present to the people that went to meet him.

Hi!
Thanks!
amazon books.....Sgt Rory Miller.....Meditations on Violence, A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence.

very good read, and something I think you would find helpful.

Last edited:
Yeah I am similar OP.

If things start getting heated, my legs feel like jello and it's hard for me to think straight. Also when I throw punches they feel weak as hell. It's really situational though. If I'm mad at someone, then I can fight/think fine, but if someone is really confidently provoking me then it fucks with my head.

I've noticed that I rely alot on muscle memory when I fight. I think the more you do something (sparring, rolling, hard spar sessions) the more comfortable you become with it and it helps in a street fight.

Back