Hard to land submissions

Adjaar

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What submissions do you guys find personally really hard to pull of while rolling/drilling? Certain techniques that you loathe a class that revisits it because it never works for you. For me it is the cross collar choke and baseball bat choke. It doesn't matter if my partner is helping me out while drilling, I find it extremely difficult to finish, and sometimes it is tight, and other times loose and I can't what I do differently each time. Most techniques that I have trouble with I get better at when we revisit it, but I never seem to get better with those two chokes.

Does anyone else have this problem with a certain submission, sweep or pass?

Sounds like you need to revisit those.

One thing I did when I paid for a seminar many years ago was I asked a lot of questions because what the guy was teaching was nothing like we were doing and I wasn't going to waste my money and not actual learn
So if you can't figure those out ask the teacher. Say man you thought this so well and everyone else is getting it besides me what am I doing wrong. If you have a good teacher they will not sleep until you understand it.

What submissions do you guys find personally really hard to pull of while rolling/drilling? Certain techniques that you loathe a class that revisits it because it never works for you. For me it is the cross collar choke and baseball bat choke. It doesn't matter if my partner is helping me out while drilling, I find it extremely difficult to finish, and sometimes it is tight, and other times loose and I can't what I do differently each time. Most techniques that I have trouble with I get better at when we revisit it, but I never seem to get better with those two chokes.

Does anyone else have this problem with a certain submission, sweep or pass?
The inverted (not reverse) triangle has always been a hard one for me to get. Not the one that Braulio did one Andre where your legs triangle at their neck but the one where your legs triangle at their armpit. You can't see what's going on so I have a hard time knowing if my legs are triangles in the right spot or where to adjust and things like that.

edit this one

maxresdefault.jpg

I usually have a hard time securing kimura grip, I am quite good at finishing, but just getting it, from side control, or even top half guard. A few years ago, I was more flexible and capable of getting omoplata and other things from rubber guard, omoplata was one of my favorite submissions, but not anymore.

You need tons of dedication and drilling to get good at collar chokes I think, moreso than most other submissions. That's why so many people (including me) give up on them sometime during white belt

Objectively, I consider the north-south choke the hardest effective submission to get good at. There are low percentage subs that are trickier, but there isn’t another submission that combines being high percentage and so wretchedly hard to learn.

Omoplata, I end up using it more as a sweep.

Oddly I end up getting heel hooks and straight ankle looks more often than triangles.

Objectively, I consider the north-south choke the hardest effective submission to get good at. There are low percentage subs that are trickier, but there isn’t another submission that combines being high percentage and so wretchedly hard to learn.
Yeah, I think there's a reason only a couple of guys come to mind when discussing north south chokes.

Hug choke / arm triangle

I get easily into a good position but even when the guy isn't defending right I have trouble finishing it. I tried hugging, I tried the RNC kind of grip... I let them turn into me too easily, I have trouble getting a good perpendicular position and staying low to put the right pressure.

This is the worst for me, it's not that it's the only sub that I have trouble with, but it's frustrating because my style put me into this position loads of time and it's almost always a missed opportunity for me.

The only success I had is to make them turn outward and to trap them into an ezekiel choke, but this trick is getting old at my gym.

Hug choke / arm triangle

I get easily into a good position but even when the guy isn't defending right I have trouble finishing it. I tried hugging, I tried the RNC kind of grip... I let them turn into me too easily, I have trouble getting a good perpendicular position and staying low to put the right pressure.

This is the worst for me, it's not that it's the only sub that I have trouble with, but it's frustrating because my style put me into this position loads of time and it's almost always a missed opportunity for me.

The only success I had is to make them turn outward and to trap them into an ezekiel choke, but this trick is getting old at my gym.

This is another one I have trouble with, forgot to mention it, if I end up here in a roll its frustrating because I know how dominate it is and that I still won't finish

This is another one I have trouble with, forgot to mention it, if I end up here in a roll its frustrating because I know how dominate it is and that I still won't finish

It's the feeling of '' I can't dominate this guy more than I'm doing right now but why isn't he taping'' You manage to isolate his arm and neck, he can barely use his legs, he can't bridge properly, his other arm is useless and in the end I have to let go of the submission because it does nothing.

But I'm a stubborn guy, I'll find a way to get good at that choke

Back