4. Tyson
5. Joe Louis
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Bob Fitzsimmon
8. Sonny Liston
9. Deontay Wilder
10. Ray Mercer
What do you think about my list?

I agree with # 1 but the rest is debatable as to which order they should be in.

1. George Foreman
2. Ernie Shavers
3. Rocky Marciano
4. Tyson
5. Joe Louis
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Bob Fitzsimmon
8. Sonny Liston
9. Deontay Wilder
10. Ray Mercer

Good list, wrong forum. Liston may need to be higher, though. According to Larry Holmes, both Shavers and Gerry Cooney hit harder than Tyson. And Holmes never fought Foreman.

I would put Shavers at 1 but Foreman's power was incredible too.

Wilder would KO prime Tyson, Brendan Schaub said so

I believe Ali said that Shavers hit harder than Foreman. Foreman was thunder, but Shaver's was lightening, or something along those lines.

Foreman certainly hit like a motherfucking freight train, and wielded his power far better.

1. George Foreman
2. Ernie Shavers
3. Rocky Marciano
4. Tyson
5. Joe Louis
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Bob Fitzsimmon
8. Sonny Liston
9. Deontay Wilder
10. Ray Mercer
I am ok with this list. I expected much worse

1. George Foreman
2. Ernie Shavers
3. Rocky Marciano
4. Tyson
5. Joe Louis
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Bob Fitzsimmon
8. Sonny Liston
9. Deontay Wilder
10. Ray Mercer
Joe Choynski apparently hit hard.

James J Jeffries said he harder than anyone he ever fought.
Joe drilled him with a right hand and Jeffries trainer had to cut his tooth out of his lip.

1. Earnie Shavers
2. Joe Louis
3. George Foreman
4. Sonny Liston
5. Elmer Ray
6. Mike Tyson
7. Jack Dempsey
8. Sam Langford
9. Rocky Marciano
10. Max Baer

Mentions: Cleveland Williams, Bob Fitzsimmons, Harry Wills, Jersey Joe Walcott, Joe Frazier, David Tua, James J. Jeffries, Riddick Bowe, Buddy Baer, Gerry Cooney, Lennox Lewis, Joe Choynski.

My dad was telling me today about how he saw Shavers-Lyle in 1975 in Denver.
Front row tickets.

Excellent fight between two hard hitting motherfuckers.

I believe Ali said that Shavers hit harder than Foreman. Foreman was thunder, but Shaver's was lightening, or something along those lines.

Foreman certainly hit like a motherfucking freight train, and wielded his power far better.
really depended on what day he was asked, at times he said frazier, at times foreman, at times shavers and at times his third wife.

two kinds of power, bonebreaking, ponderous, heavy thudding punches and snappy, explosive punches:

Heavy Handed Punchers: Freakish snappy punchers: Overall:
1. Foreman 1. Shavers 1. Shavers
2. Liston 2. Tyson 2. Foreman
3. Marciano 3. Joe Louis 3. Lewis
4. Bonecrusher Smith 4. Joe Frazier 4. Liston
5. Lennox Lewis 5. Tua 5. Bonecrusher
6. Tyson
7. Marciano
8. Louis
9. Tua
10. Frazier
It really is hard to say though because lots of unheralded/forgotten fighters punched as hard or harder than many of these guys and should we even include guys like bonecrusher and tua when they didn't accomplish as much as great fighters did. we could go all day about heavyweights who could hit because they are so many of them, even Ali could hit when he put his mind to it. and what do we do with Dempsey? do we leave him out like i did because the times are so different and the footage so grainy? if we were to go strictly for power, this list might include guys like two ton tony who they was said to have a better left hook than liston or guys who I've only heard about like jeff merrit and leroy williams? guys who had a lot of power and talent but couldn't catch a break for one reason or another? many guys could do it to it for sure. lots of guys with some impressive, brutal kayoes, lots of them.

Klitschko bros should be mentioned, both don’t get mentioned very often for their punching power

Back