Harley Davidson closes plant after Trump tax cuts, Shareholders got paid, which should trickle down.

Well, trikes aren't motorcycles, but I don't have a problem with them.
Never really saw the benefit over a quad, but if they lean that might make them more interesting.
I've read reviews that say it's almost counterintuitive. It doesn't ride like you would expect. But I haven't got a clue. I didn't have an issue riding the can-am, but that's probably because it rides like a snowmobile on wheels.

If you end up trying one let me know how it is.

Nobody buys Harley these days except outlaw motorcycle club members and middle aged white men going through mid-life crisis.

I've read reviews that say it's almost counterintuitive. It doesn't ride like you would expect. But I haven't got a clue. I didn't have an issue riding the can-am, but that's probably because it rides like a snowmobile on wheels.

If you end up trying one let me know how it is.

I know trikes and quads usually feel wrong to me, because you don't counter steer. Not sure about these.
I've only seen one review so far.
I doubt the added grip up front makes up for the extra weight (looks too front heavy to wheelie), but it'd be interesting.
I wouldn't buy one (unless they were way better than I can imagine, they cost about 50% more than an MT/FZ-09 with the same engine), but I'd like to know how they ride.

Nobody buys Harley these days except outlaw motorcycle club members and middle aged white men going through mid-life crisis.
My son bought one with his first bonus check after he finished college

"Adventure bikes" seem to be the new money maker for manufacturers, they are fast becoming the SUVs of the bike world.

"Adventure bikes" seem to be the new money maker for manufacturers, they are fast becoming the SUVs of the bike world.
Too bad HD folded Buell
2009-Buell-Ulysses-XB12Xa.jpg

Too bad HD folded Buell
2009-Buell-Ulysses-XB12Xa.jpg

Yeah, it's definitely not a market segment HD can capitalise on without watering down the brand.
I really like Buell, closest I ever came to owning an American motorcycle was when they had their models going out ridiculously cheap after HD closed them down. Unfortunately there were already massive reports of problems with parts availability and build quality, which put me off.
It's funny that "adventure bikes" are so popular now that the segment is actually dividing up.
You've got "adventure bikes" which are really just sports-tourers with off road styling (and still on the sporty side of sports tourers) and then the adventure bikes which are actually still designed for off road use (hence becoming the SUV of the bike world).

The FXDLS was the only model Harley saw increased sales from here last year.
It was his first bike, I bought a Honda 80 when the kids were little edit, it might have been a 70

Weird I rode most of his life and he never even ask to sit on it, I had no idea he had the bug. He put about 10,000 miles his first year

One of my friends questioned me when I bought the Honda for the kids, I said you have to know that they’ll never ride or teach them how to ride just in case

Last edited:
I'm rusty on my Art of War. Better to attack when our economy is weakened?

There is no reason to fight if you are strong.

It seems to work for North Korea. Appear strong when you are weak and weak when you are strong.

One of the reasons our economy is strong is because of our relationship with China. Neither the US or China can really have the advantage in this relationship. By trying to strong arm China, he could weaken the US along with China. And vice versa.

There is no reason to fight if you are strong.

It seems to work for North Korea. Appear strong when you are weak and weak when you are strong.

One of the reasons our economy is strong is because of our relationship with China. Neither the US or China can really have the advantage in this relationship. By trying to strong arm China, he could weaken the US along with China. And vice versa.

The US seems to find reasons. Can't remember a time were we weren't using violence to impose our will. We're undeniably strong.

I wouldn't know about NK other than it's only our sympathy for SK that keeps us from squashing them/him.

Fuck China. I was just asking about when would be a good time to attack them economically. If it all. And your position seems to be that everyone loses.

It was his first bike, I bought a Honda 80 when the kids were little edit, it might have been a 70

Weird I rode most of his life and he never even ask to sit on it, I had no idea he had the bug. He put about 10,000 miles his first year

One of my friends questioned me when I bought the Honda for the kids, I said you have to know that they’ll never ride or teach them how to ride just in case

Yeah, it's strange what'll get you hooked.
I rode chook chasers and 4-wheelers as a kid, but wasn't really that into bikes.
Then a mate took me for a hoon on the back of his RGV-250 at 16, left it in my parents garage for a fortnight, and I was hooked for life.
Most of my friends still ride, although more than a couple gave it up when they had kids, and a few started riding again recently after a couple of decades without a bike.
I think a part of the motivation for my age bracket were the licencing restrictions at the time, where a car learner licence meant you had to have an adult with a full licence in the vehicle, a bike gave you freedom at least 6 months earlier (they've since raised the age to 17 for motorcycle licences, which eliminates that advantage).

I can't blame Trump for Harley Davidsons problems but the tax cuts could have been used to diversify into building something more in demand. They were once in the golf cart business but sold out to AMF in 1969. The average age of motorcycle riders has been going up for 30 years. If Harley was tracking demographics they should have seen this coming. People who couldn't afford Harleys in their 20s could as they got older but fewer younger people were riding motorcycles from the 80s on so they were losing their market. As the older buyers aged, they sell those bikes which means fewer new bikes are sold. As always, management only looks to short term gains rather than long term success.
This is a good post, when the dust settles I think dumping millions into electric bikes might be closer to a nail in the coffin than a savior

Back