Harvey Weinstein went unpunished for years bc journalists couldn't ethically report w/o hard sources

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
David Carr, the late New York Times columnist, had hinted at that behavior, as well: “As the keeper of star-making machinery,” Carr wrote in a 2001 profile of the mogul for New York magazine, “Weinstein has re-engineered the media process so that he lives beyond its downsides.” In 2015, Gawker, following up on a story from 2012, invited readers to “Tell Us What You Know About Harvey Weinstein’s Open Secret.”

No one did, apparently. Or not enough people did to put the open secret on the record. Weinstein went on as he did for so long in part because of journalism’s reporting standards, which are in turn connected to legal and cultural standards: If something can’t be proven, it would be irresponsible and reckless to publish it. It’s perhaps no accident that “open secret,” as a phrase, exploded in popularity in the U.S. during the mid-to-late 1800s—a time that also witnessed the rise of the telegraph and the penny press, and a time in which secrets themselves could newly operate at scale. The phrase declined sharply in the early 20th century, which is also the time the American press began professionalizing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...n-latest-allegations/542508/?utm_source=atlfb

Gawker (a high-end gossip and pop culture mag) had too much integrity and reverence for American journalistic norms to report on a widely known sexual predator with shaky sources, yet half the War Room (and a quarter of the country) thinks NBC and The New York Times completely make up stories about the President of the United States and nuclear war.

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...n-latest-allegations/542508/?utm_source=atlfb

Gawker (a high-end gossip and pop culture mag) had too much integrity and reverence for American journalistic norms to report on a widely known sexual predator with shaky sources, yet half the War Room (and a quarter of the country) thinks NBC and The New York Times completely make up stories about the President of the United States and nuclear war.

Lol. You don't even realize what you did here!!

You just proved the media will protect a known rapist because he is liberal.

I swear, you crack me up! You seriously thought you were clever here but proved the exact other side right!

Anything Trump or the partisan right wingers hear that they don't like is fake news it doesn't matter who said it or what source they have.
The political divide in the US is out of control.

Anything Trump or the partisan right wingers hear that they don't like is fake news it doesn't matter who said it or what source they have.
The political divide in the US is out of control.
What source? They never have any

Confidential unnamed source =/= no source. The fact that trump supporters expect govt leakers to start naming themselves in hilarious.

Confidential unnamed source =/= no source. The fact that trump supporters expect govt leakers to start naming themselves in hilarious.
LOFL!!

U just contradicted everything you said in your above post. U are the best

SNL still won't even crack a joke about it. They have more integrity than all of them apparently.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...haels-on-why-weinstein-was-left-out-show.html

“Saturday Night Live” – known for its biting satire of President Trump – took on gun control, paid tribute to the victims of the Las Vegas shooting, spoofed OJ Simpson getting out of prison and remembered rocker Tom Petty during Saturday’s night’s show – but not a peep about the sex scandal involving Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein.

Social media users quickly called out the show’s hypocrisy.

“Why didn’t big mouth Michael Che’ say anything about Harvey Weinstein on SNL “Weekend Update”? He’s got so much opinion about everything else ,” Pastor Darrell Scott, a Trump supporter, posted on Twitter.

Willful ignorance.
I'm guessing they could show you a live shot of it raining out side and say it is raining out side and you'd be squawking the same shit.

If you are so partisan you believe everything is fake you are a pathetic lamb.
Brainwashed by Brietbart and Limbaugh.
Sad actually, you been punked and don't even see it lol!

Willful ignorance.
I'm guessing they could show you a live shot of it raining out side and say it is raining out side and you'd be squawking the same shit.

If you are so partisan you believe everything is fake you are a pathetic lamb.
Brainwashed by Brietbart and Limbaugh.
Sad actually, you been punked and don't even see it lol!

I'm a lamb for questioning things. Yet you are not for just eating it up?

I'm not even a republican. But I don't trust things unless I have some proof.

I could say you are a rapist. Would it be true? I could say I have a source you are a rapist. Should people believe me?

Ok, here is a educational opportunity of how easy it is for the media to make rape accusations with no proof whatsoever. This took off crazy like wildfire because it was a preferred target.
Why didn't she go after the left wing real abusers? Gee I wonder.

Notice how incensed they are and the righteous indignation!

Seems like there was enough firsthand leaks for them at least to have access to "unnamed sources" and it's not journalistic integrity to not write about this case -- it's worry about backlash by a higher ranking media outlet

And yes, eventually we would expect high ranking officials who sit in on national security meetings to be able to come forward with their concerns without hiding behind NBC news of all places.

I'm a lamb for questioning things. Yet you are not for just eating it up?

I'm not even a republican. But I don't trust things unless I have some proof.

I could say you are a rapist. Would it be true? I could say I have a source you are a rapist. Should people believe me?
Why would you assume I'm eating anything up, my point was simple, not everything is fake, not everything is real.
There are many stories by many different reporters that do have reasonable and factual reports. There are many stories that don't and aren't.
Condemning the "media" as a whole is willfully ignorant for reasons I've states.
Falling for the "fake news" line is ignorant!

I thought the media and journalism was a way for the "little guy" to challenge powerful groups and people. So is this saying that journalists sat on actual first hand accounts?

Why would you assume I'm eating anything up, my point was simple, not everything is fake, not everything is real.
There are many stories by many different reporters that do have reasonable and factual reports. There are many stories that don't and aren't.
Condemning the "media" as a whole is willfully ignorant for reasons I've states.

Did I say all news is fake? Jump the gun much?

But I don't believe shit without at least some evidence.

But you can believe all of it if you like

You sound like a lamb

Wait. Are u in the wrong forum? WTF are u even going on about. Look at the topic here. Take your partisan pansy ass somewhere else

Terry Crews, yes THAT Terry Crews said that he was sexually assaulted by an unnamed Hollywood executive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41580861

Now I know what some of you are thinking...

"Why didn't Crews fill the room with uppercuts?"

How many of you would believe him if he were in handcuffs and telling you why he did what he did?

Back