Has anyone here actually beaten Diablo II on the hardest difficulty?

Yup, and one of those could be to physical damage. So every build had to have at least two types of damage to get through Hell. Plus god save you soul if you met a Super Unique Enemy that was immune to both of you attacks.

Not always. you can skip certain areas to avoid immunities. There are very few magic resist monsters making the hammerdin pretty strong throughout the game.

Not always. you can skip certain areas to avoid immunities. There are very few magic resist monsters making the hammerdin pretty strong throughout the game.

I would rather gouge my eyes out with plastics sporks than play a Hammerdin.

why? shako + enigma = win!

I have no idea what those are. I played a long time ago before lower skills had synergies for higher skills. Plus, standing there and casting blessed hammer over and over is not my idea of fun.

I have no idea what those are. I played a long time ago before lower skills had synergies for higher skills. Plus, standing there and casting blessed hammer over and over is not my idea of fun.
meh. a well built hammerdin doesnt just stand there.

meh. a well built hammerdin doesnt just stand there.

I looked up the items you mentioned. I remember Shako, but Enigma must be a rune word item they added later. I don't see the power. You get +4 for all skills but that is easy enough to get and more with other items. Plus you don't gain any resistance. I preferred the Smoke for just about all my builds with its +50 to all resistances and the ability to cast Weaken, which was underrated.

I looked up the items you mentioned. I remember Shako, but Enigma must be a rune word item they added later. I don't see the power. You get +4 for all skills but that is easy enough to get and more with other items. Plus you don't gain any resistance. I preferred the Smoke for just about all my builds with its +50 to all resistances and the ability to cast Weaken, which was underrated.
Enigma is one of the most powerful items in the game in that it gives any class a teleport skill. It is absolutely needed for fast farming.

Enigma is one of the most powerful items in the game in that it gives any class a teleport skill. It is absolutely needed for fast farming.

I hardly used teleport with the sorceress. I will take resistances any day over that. Regardless of how fast you can get to an area, it's faster when you can kill everything and never worry about damage.

Yes, I have. Sounds to me like you need way better gear or leveled improperly though.

So I'm doing a play through for the first time since 2003, and specifically with a necromancer for the first time since my 2000.

Did they nerf iron maiden and/or blood golem? I remember that combo used to basically make the player and his golem invincible but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Duriel would kill my golem in 1-3 hits even with iron maids going. I don't remember that happening back in the day.

Base game was easy even on hell difficulty, lightning enchant was some dumb shit though.

LoD got tough at the end.

I beat both Diablo 2 and LoD on hell with my necro and hammerdin

I never beat it until I started playing again last summer. Beat it within like 2 weeks. Made a barb with a good build and people just gave me gear from time to time. People still playing after all this time are fairly wealthy and don't mind sharing apparently.

I was able to farm hell. It's like I finally was able to move on from the game after that.

Back