Has Hollywood ever remade a sh!tty movie into a good one?

I do have to agree somewhat with him, I do like Romero's grime and subtext but I struggle to call those films great and 28 days latter definitely is.

At the end of the day of course a pretty high percentage of classic horror is heavly on the allegory.

Last edited:
Dawn of the Dead is an allegory. It's only a "zombie movie" in appearance. It amazes me people can watch movies like Dawn of the Dead, Robocop, Starship Troopers and Get Out and not realize what they are.

Thanks for that irrelevant aside oh wise one.

It's not irrelevant if you don't understand what you're watching. You're missing the intent of the movie by comparing it to 28 Days Later.

No. I'm just talking to the same guy who said that movies can't be horror, and comedy. Even though the Evil Dead movies clearly disprove that. A movie can be more than one thing. GET OUT for example, clearly both horror & comedy. Robocop is satire, but it can also be appreciated as a straightforward badass sci-fi action drama. And Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later can absolutely be compared as zombie flicks. I think the latter is way better. And Romero, while important in history, is way overrated as an actual filmmaker.

No. I'm just talking to the same guy who said that movies can't be horror, and comedy. Even though the Evil Dead movies clearly disprove that. A movie can be more than one thing. GET OUT for example, clearly both horror & comedy. Robocop is satire, but it can also be appreciated as a straightforward badass sci-fi action drama. And Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later can absolutely be compared as zombie flicks. I think the latter is way better. And Romero, while important in history, is way overrated as an actual filmmaker.
Where did I ever say that? I'll wait for that quote because I never said anything remotely like that.

An extreme example of your argument would be like saying. "Weird Al is okay, but he's no Prince." Well, duh.

Original
514ZHpqnpFL._SY355_.jpg

Remake
Meet Joe Black
200.gif

tumblr_mrhmvs159P1qgfa1ro1_500.gif

Dawn of the Dead is an allegory. It's only a "zombie movie" in appearance. It amazes me people can watch movies like Dawn of the Dead, Robocop, Starship Troopers and Get Out and not realize what they are.

You realize that some people watch movies strictly to be entertained, and not read between the lines to find deeper meaning, right?

Here's another one: Ocean's Eleven. The original makes for some great wall art, but the actual movie sucks. Whereas Soderbergh's remake is a great adventure heist movie (even if it did spawn a bunch of shitty sequels).

Hmm..
Clash of The Titans....nope
Red Dawn.....Nope
Total Recall....Nope
Psycho....Nope
Carrie....Nope
The Omen.....Nope
Aniie....Nope
Conan....Nope

I’m gonna say no

I thought of The Thing and The Fly, but no idea if the originals count as shitty. Would think the remakes blew them out of the water though

The 1958 Fly ain't too shabby. I'd watch it again.

Haven't seen The Thing though. Hmm, I've got spare time...

And the TS saying Planet of the Apes is a B movie? C'mon man, that movie is great. That doesn't live in the same ball park as the 25 cent Godzilla.

You realize that some people watch movies strictly to be entertained, and not read between the lines to find deeper meaning, right?
Yeah, that's why they make Marvel and Transformers movies. Dawn of the Dead was made for a specific purpose and it wasn't to cater to those people.

cant really call em remakes, but old tv series were made into comedy movies that were pretty funny, 21 jumpstreet and starsky and hutch

The Hills Have Eyes

I know the original was somewhat of a cult classic, but it's pretty fucking shitty. Without Michael Berryman's deformed mug on screen, nobody would remember that movie at all. The remake improved upon it in every way imaginable.

Do you consider multiple adaptations of the same source material (a novel, book series, etc.) to be remakes?

If the answer is yes, then The Maltese Falcon is an example of a remake that was far superior to the originals. The classic 1941 Humphrey Bogart film noir everyone knows about was actually the third adaptation of the novel in a span of 10 years.

And they say Hollywood's reboots craze is a recent thing. ;)

Back