Has the Heavyweight Championship lost its prestige?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Ever worry that the Heavyweight Championship of the World has lost some of its prestige? It used to be THE most prized title in all of sports, but now it's an afterthought.

Remember when everyone knew who the heavyweight champion was? Now you'd be lucky if a random
person on the street knew who it was.

Is this because of boxing's decline in popularity, or are there other factors?

Ever worry that the Heavyweight Championship of the World has lost some of its prestige? It used to be THE most prized title in all of sports, but now it's an afterthought.

Remember when everyone knew who the heavyweight champion was? Now you'd be lucky if a random
person on the street knew who it was.

Is this because of boxing's decline in popularity, or are there other factors?

There’s too many belts and too many champions dude! ‘The HW champion of the world’ has been massively devalued

Most guys on the street in the UK know Anthony Joshua.
Yeah everyone in the UK knows AJ is the number one HW in the world. I'd guess he'd be pretty well known around most of Europe as well.

Maybe in America. Not here though for sure. Joshua is a star here. See him plastered all over adverts and billboards and shit.

I think Tyson was the last champ people who didn't follow the sport still knew by name.

Among the dedicated I think the popularity sways from the US to europe and back again depending on who's champ and where the fights are taking place. Boxing was major in europe when Klitschko held the belt and fights were taking place in germany.

That happened in the 2000s.

its only shit because the champ hasn't been murican for a long time.

MMA. The average man on the street no longer sees the heavyweight boxing champion as the baddest man on the planet.

Tbh, our demographic is an aging one. Gone are the days where prizefighting is considered top shelf sports for the whole family, ppl have moved away from living room TVs, away from harshness or aggression in favor of of other hobbies and interests. Your average 14 year old boy is typically not into fights, fighting, or anything inbetween. They've had 1080p since they were 6.

So no, World Champ doesn't mean what it used to. But that's more indicative of the masses not caring than it is of prizefighting being in a slump

definitely, at least in america, i don't think most americans even knew the difference between the k bros. why? lots of factors, but the biggest one i'd have to say is the decline in exciting fights and fighters. People like Tyson and Ali had people who didn't follow the sport watching them because they were exciting and they were stars, no one like that today.

MMA. The average man on the street no longer sees the heavyweight boxing champion as the baddest man on the planet.
True, DC would single leg AJ in seconds...
No one knows who the MMA HW champ is at all.
Is it DC? No idea.
I do know that in Europe people know who Klitschko and Joshua are/were.
90,000 at Wembley to watch those two go at it.
Oh and Joshua would turn DCs head into a pancake if he wanted to.
MMA HWs are tiny compared to boxing HWs.

No one knows who the MMA HW champ is at all.
Is it DC? No idea.
I do know that in Europe people know who Klitschko and Joshua are/were.
90,000 at Wembley to watch those two go at it.
Oh and Joshua would turn DCs head into a pancake if he wanted to.
MMA HWs are tiny compared to boxing HWs.
How strange that you guessed the correct UFC HW champ even though you claimed you had "no idea":)

or he could get ktfo with 1 shot
Against Aj the boxer with no experience? No chance, DC wins easily ala randy/toney.

even though Ray ko’d timmeg with a punch people over look the fact he had to be manhandled by kimbo in the clinch first. And those 2 kickboxing matches he was embaressed in.
So yeah, Ray the MMA fighter won that one.

Floyd was a retired broken old man, but conor was not a boxer before that fight happened.

Michael Jordan would dunk over messi all night long.
Every physics lecturer in harvard now would lose 10 times in a row against whoever’s the world champ in chess is now.

Nikki holzken got easily jab-fisted all night against Smith. Even though he’s considered one of the Living ATGs of muay thai

To the OP...

Popular culture changes with technology and population. Boxing is doing well, in fact for COMBAT pugilists it still holds it’s own, especially with the rise of multi sports worldwide and the competition of commercial success with MMA.

Floyd and Conor brought a huge gap with casuals following boxing.

DAZN is an enlightenment with future technology, and as Kalle Saerland states, the Perfrom Group have been around strong for years.

With all that being said, the “Heavyweight” legacy is stil strong. Even MMA enthusiasts gravitate to the Heavyweights in particular, and with guys like Schonen, Rogan, Schaub continually talking about Fury, AJ and Wilder it seems like the fanboys like to create this illusion that one fighter is not more popular than the other.

The age of social media and the internet has helped boost every part of boxing.

Regarding “prestige,” the Showtime promotion for Wilder ve Fury is one the coolest and baddest promos in Combat sports. Showtime got the upper hand in Q4 2018.

The Fury and Wilder game of thrones film set is baddass!!

Against Aj the boxer with no experience? No chance, DC wins easily ala randy/toney.

even though Ray ko’d timmeg with a punch people over look the fact he had to be manhandled by kimbo in the clinch first. And those 2 kickboxing matches he was embaressed in.
So yeah, Ray the MMA fighter won that one.

Floyd was a retired broken old man, but conor was not a boxer before that fight happened.

Michael Jordan would dunk over messi all night long.
Every physics lecturer in harvard now would lose 10 times in a row against whoever’s the world champ in chess is now.

Nikki holzken got easily jab-fisted all night against Smith. Even though he’s considered one of the Living ATGs of muay thai
he could land a right cross before DC can close distance or time him with an uppercut when DC change levels for takedown... HWs only need one punch. Im not saying it’s likely, if they fought 100 times I think 5 times DC would lose

How strange that you guessed the correct UFC HW champ even though you claimed you had "no idea":)
Did u not look at my quotes?
Cocksure mentioned DC and Joshua. So implications would lead me to believe that DC must be the HW champ.

Did u not look at my quotes?
Cocksure mentioned DC and Joshua. So implications would lead me to believe that DC must be the HW champ.
And yet without knowing who DC was you already knew he'd get crushed by Joshua? Busted!

Back