Has the Heavyweight Championship lost its prestige?

This is a fair post. Nearly always favour MMA over boxer, but AJ would have punchers chance.

This guy only picked up boxing by around age 19/20. Less than ten years later he's an olympic champion and multiple world champion.

DC massive, massive favourite, but one right hand and it's over.

DC is fat and slow. AJ would beat the shit out of him.
A guy like Usyk would murder DC. Usyk has grappling training like most East Euros.
I think you guys highly overestimate takedowns, like they are invincible. Its really not that hard to stop a takedown.

No.
In boxing the HW title makes the fighter, in MMA people only care about how good of a WWE promo you can cut.

My father thought Brock Lesnar was still champ when he saw a clip of him shoving DC on social media.
Brock-Lesnar-Daniel-Cormier.jpg

He knows Wilder is HW champ in boxing because he saw him posing in the Oval Office.
964974.jpg

It doesn't make any sense what you are saying.
BoxRec has Usyk at #3 p4p.
Loma at #5.
And "the King of boxing" at #9.

No way is Joshua more skilled than either of the two. So I don't see why should he be a bigger star other than MASSIVE promotion.
McGregor is a bigger boxing star than Joshua (yes in Boxing). For the very same reason.
And most people where I live in Europe don't know who Joshua is.
But they DO know who Klitschko is.
So there is that.

So being higher on the p4p ranking means you're a bigger star? wut?

By that logic Daniel Cormier is a bigger star than Brock, Khabib is a bigger star than Conor and Nunes is a bigger star than Ronda.

No. That's not the logic.
Brock has been inactive for A LONG TIME. He is rightfully not in the rankings. He has dropped out of the rankings.
Khabib is not a bigger star than Conor. He should be lower than him p4p.

Not true. SImply not true.
Even Usyk is a bigger star atm.
You have Lomachenko.
Other fighters as well.
No way are Usyk and Lomachenko bigger than Joshua. What does Loma make a fight a couple of million? Joshua makes ten times that.

well.. that's the common logic.
No that's not the common logic. The common logic is that the most popular fighter is the biggest and we can measure by how much they earn i.e. their drawing power. For that reason Canelo is top and Joshua is a clear second. Much higher than Usyk and Lomachenko.

So being higher on the p4p ranking means you're a bigger star? wut?
Don't listen to him if he's using boxrec, it's a broken system.

They had Crawford at Number 1 WW after beating Jeff Horn, more than double the points ahead of Spence and had Crawford ranked number #13 all time at welterweight for 1 win over the weakest champion, he's now at #14? (somehow Broner is ranked in the top 50) They have Lennox Lewis ranked as the 23rd best HW of all time even though he's like the 3rd best of all time.

No that's not the common logic. The common logic is that the most popular fighter is the biggest and we can measure by how much they earn i.e. their drawing power. For that reason Canelo is top and Joshua is a clear second. Much higher than Usyk and Lomachenko.

Yeah but drawing power comes from the public. And richer public pays more.
Joshua living in the UK gives him a great advantage over any Ukrainian.
But that doesn't mean he's more popular, or more skilled for that matter.

No. That's not the logic.
Brock has been inactive for A LONG TIME. He is rightfully not in the rankings. He has dropped out of the rankings.
Khabib is not a bigger star than Conor. He should be lower than him p4p.

Lol

Are you trolling or just thick as shit?

There are to many titles.
The lineal championship is the one that matters the most.

Yeah but drawing power comes from the public. And richer public pays more.
Joshua living in the UK gives him a great advantage over any Ukrainian.
But that doesn't mean he's more popular, or more skilled for that matter.
Skilled doesn't have anything to do with it. We are talking about drawing power. And the UK is not only a richer market but it's a bigger market. 66 million in the UK compared to 44 million in Ukraine. So Joshua is much more likely to be the bigger draw since he's in a bigger country.

Skilled doesn't have anything to do with it. We are talking about drawing power. And the UK is not only a richer market but it's a bigger market. 66 million in the UK compared to 44 million in Ukraine. So Joshua is much more likely to be the bigger draw since he's in a bigger country.

That was my point actually.

DC is fat and slow. AJ would beat the shit out of him.
A guy like Usyk would murder DC. Usyk has grappling training like most East Euros.
I think you guys highly overestimate takedowns, like they are invincible. Its really not that hard to stop a takedown.

it probably isn't but neither is blocking a thai kick, people, as they get older usually don't take to learning new skills. makes no sense but it's the way it is, i mean it takes nothing to learn to block a thai kick but for whatever reason, we've seen fighters endure them. Recently, i was watching parts of that abomination, Ali-Inoki, now, I don't know who was telling the truth about what because both sides have their own take but if it was true that Ali showed up for a rehearsal and was told "this will be a real fight" I am sure glad his people forced the rules, the kicks were bad enough, who know's how much that took out of ali? Wouldda been more humiliating had he gotten thrown or had a limb broken, it's usually a dumb idea when fighters do those fights, either way, may mac was about as dumb. So even if it's easy to learn those things, most of the time, grown men don't want to learn, or they just can't, either way it's not good. I got into grappling at 29, physically, that was too old but it was mentally too, how do you change up from understanding that you fight until you can't to where it's ok to quit? that was tough and would have been tougher had a proceeded, I'd have had to "quit" 10,000 times before I got any good. Not for me, not for most boxers. like i say, thank god ali's people changed the rules, Ali, about as brave as any man in the history of the sport would have let that man kill him.

it probably isn't but neither is blocking a thai kick, people, as they get older usually don't take to learning new skills. makes no sense but it's the way it is, i mean it takes nothing to learn to block a thai kick but for whatever reason, we've seen fighters endure them. Recently, i was watching parts of that abomination, Ali-Inoki, now, I don't know who was telling the truth about what because both sides have their own take but if it was true that Ali showed up for a rehearsal and was told "this will be a real fight" I am sure glad his people forced the rules, the kicks were bad enough, who know's how much that took out of ali? Wouldda been more humiliating had he gotten thrown or had a limb broken, it's usually a dumb idea when fighters do those fights, either way, may mac was about as dumb. So even if it's easy to learn those things, most of the time, grown men don't want to learn, or they just can't, either way it's not good. I got into grappling at 29, physically, that was too old but it was mentally too, how do you change up from understanding that you fight until you can't to where it's ok to quit? that was tough and would have been tougher had a proceeded, I'd have had to "quit" 10,000 times before I got any good. Not for me, not for most boxers. like i say, thank god ali's people changed the rules, Ali, about as brave as any man in the history of the sport would have let that man kill him.
There was no rule change. It was planned like that from the beginning. Inoki said it some years back on some Asian TV Show.
Ali threw a half ass jab and Inoki said his face hurt so much from it that had Ali threw with some real intent to hurt him he would've been out with the first punch and that's Inokis' own words.

Back