Has this WME/Conor era of UFC made you fall out of love with the UFC ?

KevinLee

✮ ✮ RICH KING LIVING IN JEI'S HEAD✮ ✮
@Brown
Reaction score
I dont know about you guys but i find myself watching more Boxing, NFL, and basketball. This era of the best not fighting the best. Champions not defending titles and Dana cock sucking of Conor has kinda taken some of the love i had for the sport. PS im a real harcore that appreciates even WMMA to the prelims fights and watches every single UFC card. Anyone share these thoughts ?

wow almost 900 posts in less than 2 months and you're 'falling out of love'. How many posts do you do on boxing, basketball and nfl forums? 10,000 + ?

wow almost 900 posts in less than 2 months and you're 'falling out of love'. How many posts do you do on boxing, basketball and nfl forums? 10,000 + ?
Im asking for serious answers not trolls trying troll. Im trying to start some serious discussion here. Go and troll somewhere else.

Im asking for serious answers not trolls trying troll. Im trying to start some serious discussion here. Go and troll somewhere else.

How am I trolling by pointing out you spend all your time posting in a sport forum that you don't even enjoy anymore?

How am I trolling by pointing out you spend all your time posting in a sport forum that you don't even enjoy anymore?
So cause im losing love for the sport that means i cant have discussion about MMA anymore ?
QASOJat.gif

No. For me it’s always just been phases/interest coming and going in waves.

I watch every card but 90% of the time I’m watching it the next day on DVR or Fight Pass, but then there are cards like 217 that I’m genuinely excited and will stay awake for to watch it live.

I have always loved MMA but my interest in it goes up and down as it’s a niche sport. Sometimes I feel very ‘meh’ about the UFC, other times I’m on board.

I'd just like to know the era when shit talkers didn't get push and the occasional strange match up didn't get made. We still get a lot of top fighters matched up. People act like Conor is the first champ who has held up LW. It's been held up since BJ lost the title.

Frankie had endless rematches
Bendo did better, but still had a rematch and a lot of people refused to accept his wins
Pettis sat on the title injured forever until he lost it.
RDA took 9 months to defend once against a guy he already beat. Pulled out of a major fight and took 7 months to attempt his second defense, which he lost.
Alvarez took a money fight instead of a top contender.
Now Conor.

Tito's shit talking carried the UFC. Sonnen talked his way into a LHW title match after failing twice at MW. We had Brock come in and get a title shot after going 1-1, while there was an interim HW champ. Couture came out of retirements to get immediate title shots a weight class up. None of this is new, except Conor has been more financially successful doing it.

I'd just like to know the era when shit talkers didn't get push and the occasional strange match up didn't get made. We still get a lot of top fighters matched up. People act like Conor is the first champ who has held up LW. It's been held up since BJ lost the title.

Frankie had endless rematches
Bendo did better, but still had a rematch and a lot of people refused to accept his wins
Pettis sat on the title injured forever until he lost it.
RDA took 9 months to defend once against a guy he already beat. Pulled out of a major fight and took 7 months to attempt his second defense, which he lost.
Alvarez took a money fight instead of a top contender.
Now Conor.

Tito's shit talking carried the UFC. Sonnen talked his way into a LHW title match after failing twice at MW. We had Brock come in and get a title shot after going 1-1, while there was an interim HW champ. Couture came out of retirements to get immediate title shots a weight class up. None of this is new, except Conor has been more financially successful doing it.
Has it lol ? Which champion sat on the belt for a year while doing other shit lol ? Conor has to be the first champion in UFC history to be a champion for 2 years without a single title defense. No champion hasnt done that other than injured champions. Conor fan boys justification of this is very silly lol. Those other guys you mention were great champions while i wouldnt even call Conor a champion.

I dont buy their blurays anymore, order their fights, cancelled subscription and i dont buy their clothes.
Fuck wme ufc and fuck dana and canner

Has it lol ? Which champion sat on the belt for a year while doing other shit lol ? Conor has the be the first champion in UFC history to be a champion for 2 years without a single title defense. No champion hasnt done that other than injured champions.
So you want to move the goal posts to continue blaming Conor for ruining the UFC instead of your claim of having a real discussion? Would you prefer we go back to the days where champs jumped contract and went to other orgs or retired, like BJ and Couture? When were these days when we only got the best versus the best with no attempts by the UFC to cash in on big stars? Because I don't remember them. If one guy taking some time to have a kid and then taking the opportunity of a lifetime can ruin this sport for you, you're not as hardcore as you claim. Champions have done what is best for them as long as we've had champions in the UFC.

So you want to move the goal posts to continue blaming Conor for ruining the UFC instead of your claim of having a real discussion? Would you prefer we go back to the days where champs jumped contract and went to other orgs or retired, like BJ and Couture? When were these days when we only got the best versus the best with no attempts by the UFC to cash in on big stars? Because I don't remember them. If one guy taking some time to have a kid and then taking the opportunity of a lifetime can ruin this sport for you, you're not as hardcore as you claim. Champions have done what is best for them as long as we've had champions in the UFC.
image.jpg

So were comparing a joke like Conor to legendary champions like Randy Couture and BJ Penn ?

I feel you. I haven't lost hope yet, but I have to admit that it's been frustrating. Honestly, I've been more annoyed at people pulling out of fights, missing weight, and getting suspended for fuckin diarrhea medicine and Advil, than the whole Conor and GSP bullshit.

image.jpg

So were comparing a joke like Conor to legendary champions like Randy Couture and BJ Penn ?
Yeah, you don't want to have a serious conversation. I offer several examples of preferential treatment, champions refusing to defend for financial reasons, a history of the UFC cashing in on stars instead of always the best vs. the best and these are your responses. Have fun. I'm out.

Jose and Eddie said Conor was just a joke too. Just a clown.

We saw who the real clowns were.

if there is already something in place, please point me in the right direciton...

i am interested to know if there is a consensus on the eras of UFC/MMA...kind of like how (nerd mode: activated) there is the golden age or silver age of comic books...this is my guess:
  • early years - the 90s (UFC 1 to UFC 23)
    • liddell/couture/ortiz/hughes/shamrock/young vitor/miletich,etc
  • pre-pride - 2000-2007 (UFC 24 to UFC 66/67)
    • anderson silva became MW champ on 10/14/2006
  • post-pride (incl. WEC merger) - 2007-2010
    • gsp unified WW title on 4/19/2008
    • brock lesnar's 1st foray 2008-2011
    • jose aldo WEC/UFC champ on 11/18/2009
  • strikeforce acquisition, reebok deal (begun at UFC 189 - 7/11/2015), mcgregor, USADA & WMMA - 2011 - 2016
    • jon jones became LHW champ on 3/19/2011
  • current: WME era - 2016 - present

slow day at work.

The UFC seems to have just gone quiet.

Unless you're paying attention to MMA sites, events seem to simply pass by with little to no fanfare, that's the only noticeable change for me, i mean Machida just came back and if you weren't paying attention you'd never know it.

It's kind of weird because the most famous era of MMA is quickly fading as more fighters are retiring and with the exception of Conor, there is nothing in regards to actual promotion, hell, even Conor seems to promote himself more than the UFC does.

Look at Perry for instance. Online he's blown up, but i guarantee if you asked 100 random people on the street who he was, there's a pretty good chance a hundred people wouldn't have a clue who he is.

The problem is bad PPVs and lack of event feel. Every PPV should be like 217 from top to bottom. Give me a reason to invite friends over to watch 5 hrs of fighting.

Back