Has this WME/Conor era of UFC made you fall out of love with the UFC ?

Im asking for serious answers not trolls trying troll. Im trying to start some serious discussion here. Go and troll somewhere else.

maybe ask a serious question without the bias prebuilt into it

I must admit I’ve been less and less intrested in the ufc. I use to talk, mma all day. Watched every event with my brother and friends since the pride days but over the last 2-3 years I’ve got little interest in it. I mostly recap events or read the play by plays but I don’t avidly follow it and neither do my friends.

Not sure maybe we’ve grown out of it but I did notice our intrested started to fade a little bit prior to the rumors of the ufc being sold started.

I loved the UFC from the late 90's to the late 2000's that decade was easily the most fun for me, say from UFC 17 and then it plateaued at UFC 100, sure not all the shows were great between then 17 & 100. But the bad fights were few and far between.

Up to about UFC 150 I was buying ever other or every third ppv I had also watched about 95% of all UFC fights up to this point. But that has all changed it has been a few years since I bought a ppv and now I only watch about 50% of UFC fights, if that

I wouldn't blame Connor for me losing my love for UFC, I always felt that management for the UFC was about making cash, not about putting on the best fights or having thier talents best interest in mind, and it has only gotten worse the past 5 years or so

Sure some money fights are fun, I bought the Mayweather-Connor fight, loved Couture vs Toney and the sicko in me kind of really hoped they would have James Toney vs Kimbo Slice in the UFC, they were both under contract at the same time

And while money fights can be fun, they can hurt divisions that said fighters compete in if a title is not defended and held up for said fight

A little off topic but, I kind of feel the UFC dropped the ball on a lot of super fights, sure Connor seems to fight who he wants, but what about other fights we could have seen but didn't, GSP vs A. Silva, JbJ vs Cain, Aldo vs Pettis, and the list goes on, sure those fights are not super fights now, but they were at one point.

In closing I think the decline in enjoyment of UFC for me can not be blamed squarely on one competitor, but the powers that be, for no longer putting on the best fights, letting thier mid-card and slightly higher tier fighters go(I feel the mid-card fighters is the backbone to any card), and lastly the fights they used to play for free on the Facebook prelims are now paid for on fight pass, and unless I am Canada at the time I miss almost all of the fight pass fights

I gotta admit though the card this weekend looks sweet, looking forward to it

I dont know about you guys but i find myself watching more Boxing, NFL, and basketball. This era of the best not fighting the best. Champions not defending titles and Dana cock sucking of Conor has kinda taken some of the love i had for the sport. PS im a real harcore that appreciates even WMMA to the prelims fights and watches every single UFC card. Anyone share these thoughts ?

don't watch any of those sports... if you're not a fight fan you're not a fight fan.. no shame in that..

It takes a special kind of retard to think that money being the focus of prize fighting is something new or something brought by Conor or WME

I dont know about you guys but i find myself watching more Boxing, NFL, and basketball. This era of the best not fighting the best. Champions not defending titles and Dana cock sucking of Conor has kinda taken some of the love i had for the sport. PS im a real harcore that appreciates even WMMA to the prelims fights and watches every single UFC card. Anyone share these thoughts ?
Conor's the only good thing about this era. In an era of soul sucking Reebok, Conor's put excitement back into the game.

The problem is WME/ UFC trying to replicate Conor without substance.

When huge corporations see one successful band like the Beatles, they try to artificially manufacture that over and over and over again: Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, N Sync, and it just all turns to shit. That's not the Beatles' fault.

WME saw Conor doing money fights and started giving us artificial shit like Bisping vs Henderson, Bisping vs GSP, and somehow Romero/ Jacare/ Mousasi are never getting title shots.

Now we got artificial Conors, Reebok, fighter uniforms, everyone wearing the same trunks, speech restrictions on fighters, 125 lb men, women, and it just all sucks compared to the era of trash talking 155+ lb men only with legit, non-paper champions.

Conor's the only good thing about this era. In an era of soul sucking Reebok, Conor's put excitement back into the game.

The problem is WME/ UFC trying to replicate Conor without substance.

When huge corporations see one successful band like the Beatles, they try to artificially manufacture that over and over and over again: Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, N Sync, and it just all turns to shit. That's not the Beatles' fault.

WME saw Conor doing money fights and started giving us artificial shit like Bisping vs Henderson, Bisping vs GSP, and somehow Romero/ Jacare/ Mousasi are never getting title shots.

Now we got artificial Conors, Reebok, fighter uniforms, everyone wearing the same trunks, speech restrictions on fighters, 125 lb men, women, and it just all sucks compared to the era of trash talking 155+ lb men only with legit, non-paper champions.

monkees_lead.jpg

if there is already something in place, please point me in the right direciton...

i am interested to know if there is a consensus on the eras of UFC/MMA...kind of like how (nerd mode: activated) there is the golden age or silver age of comic books...this is my guess:
  • early years - the 90s (UFC 1 to UFC 23)
    • liddell/couture/ortiz/hughes/shamrock/young vitor/miletich,etc
  • pre-pride - 2000-2007 (UFC 24 to UFC 66/67)
    • anderson silva became MW champ on 10/14/2006
  • post-pride (incl. WEC merger) - 2007-2010
    • gsp unified WW title on 4/19/2008
    • brock lesnar's 1st foray 2008-2011
    • jose aldo WEC/UFC champ on 11/18/2009
  • strikeforce acquisition, reebok deal (begun at UFC 189 - 7/11/2015), mcgregor, USADA & WMMA - 2011 - 2016
    • jon jones became LHW champ on 3/19/2011
  • current: WME era - 2016 - present

slow day at work.
Gave you a like just for "nerd mode activated " lmao .....I am going to say that when i say some really nerdy shit in day to day conversation

There was definetly a golden era but like any golden era the general time can be pretty consensus but the exact timeframe is super subjective.

For me it was Anderson/ gsps title reigns .....in about the middle of them ......honourable mention goes to chuck with that coked out look in his eyes ;)

What your seeing and feeling is just the natural progression of any sport. Fans have been educated over the years to what they are watching. Because of that the UFC can't expect fans to buy into a shit card anymore like its 2008 or whatever. You know what is a good card/match up is and what isn't. Combine that with all the free content you have access to now and paying $60 for a PPV doesn't seem very attractive anymore.

WME bought the UFC because of the media deals they can build/collect off of. The way we watch the UFC will change for the better for fans in the coming years. In the end I think us fans will be glad WME bought the UFC.

It's hard. Because looking at it from a long time fight fan perspective, the UFC has more talent on the roster than ever. Yes, HW and LHW are top heavy and then pretty weak on the mid-back to back end. But you can make an argument for bantamweight through Middleweight being the most stacked these divisions have ever been. So in that sense, it's a good time to be a fight fan. But also, the politics and shenanigans of the "WME/Conor era" have done a bit to kill the magic that the UFC/MMA once had. Atleast for me. The same can be said for the NFL for me right now as well. Great talent and product on the field, but too much bs outside of it. I'll still continue to watch though. I don't buy the PPVs. I just let bar pay for it, and blow too much money on drinks haha.

The problem is bad PPVs and lack of event feel. Every PPV should be like 217 from top to bottom. Give me a reason to invite friends over to watch 5 hrs of fighting.
They also do more PPVs these days too, along with all of the cable TV stuff, so some of the PPV cards are going to naturally be watered down a bit too. I honestly would prefer them do a PPV every 2 months instead of one, and have a stacked great every time. Instead of a great card seperated by a few meh ones.

Well..we are definitely not in what people will refer to as a 'golden age' years from now.

No. The older I get, the less seriously I take sports. This stuff is just an entertaining diversion to me whenever I have time to watch a little bit.

Im asking for serious answers not trolls trying troll. Im trying to start some serious discussion here. Go and troll somewhere else.

I mean it's not trolling it's a valid point. How can you claim to not be liking something as much when you're making around 500 posts a month about it.

The UFC seems to have just gone quiet.

Unless you're paying attention to MMA sites, events seem to simply pass by with little to no fanfare, that's the only noticeable change for me, i mean Machida just came back and if you weren't paying attention you'd never know it.

It's kind of weird because the most famous era of MMA is quickly fading as more fighters are retiring and with the exception of Conor, there is nothing in regards to actual promotion, hell, even Conor seems to promote himself more than the UFC does.

Look at Perry for instance. Online he's blown up, but i guarantee if you asked 100 random people on the street who he was, there's a pretty good chance a hundred people wouldn't have a clue who he is.

Marketing costs money.

Yes and UFC was only sport I watched so it's particularly irksome. I gave up mainstream sports really early in life like in college but stuck with Pride/UFC. I dont watch anything else really not even news. Guess I have to learn to fish or something. Thought about restoring a 59 apache pickup I have sitting in the driveway with cobwebs in my alone time and just drop sport altogether. I already cancelled fight pass after 3 years. Stopped buying all PPVs.

Last edited:
Well, I have nothing better to do on a Sat night, so theres that. But i haven't bought a PPV since Weidman Silva 2.

Back