Has your gaming preferences changed over the years?

Damage

~~~~~~~~~~~
@Brown
Reaction score
I remember back in the day when i was still in school i used to play mainly fps games like CS 1.6, Call of Duty, Operation Flashpoint etc... but i never was into rpg games or the likes.

Nowdays its almost the opposite, i mainly play MMORPGs (tho i went from strickly a pvper to mainly pve nowdays)RPGs and turnbased games but i rarely play shooters.

Maybe this is due to me having less time and energy for online games vs other players compared to just firing up Warframe and take my time doing whatever i want at my pace.

I used to love mmorpgs but there just isnt any great ones out. PoE is ok but not what im looking for.

Now I like crafting survival games with rpg elements like Rust.

Still love strategy games but its a dead market

I'm down for whatever is fun and has replay value.

I still play GTA and Madden the same as 15 years ago.

I still crave JRPGs, sadly they are dead :(

Umm, no they are not. They started to make a big comeback more than a year ago and you can find tons of them on Steam.

As to the OP, just about everyone evolves as a gamer. I went from mostly Arcade, to RPG/adventure, to MMORPGs and strategy to now really loving the survival/build, and empire building types like Empyrion and Mount and Blade.

Never liked fps, still don't. I like action rpgs and sports games. Next game I am looking forward to is RDR2.

I generally love all types of games. However, FPS has become stale to me these days. The last FPS I played was Destiny 1 / Titanfall 1.

I loved different games from the start, from fps and avia sims to turn based strategies. Action rpg is my favorite genre, but I can appreciate a game of any kind if it's really good.

Used to play a ton of MMO's.

Galaxies, TOR, FFXI, WoW, Matrix Online, DCUO, probably some others i'm forgetting.

Have only played XIV recently, just no time and they don't quite hook me anymore. Still holding out hope something incredible comes out.

Don't have the patience nor energy to grind games. I'm finding myself enjoying indy games due to simplicity in controls, story, and right balance of total play time.

I wish I had the time for RPG/MMORPG, now adays I only have time to play games with short learning curve mostly FPS and simple games on AppleTV.

I used to play a ton of Diablo II and WoW, now I just don't have the time/attention span. I play a lot of Rogue-likes and single scenario competitive games like Overwatch and Mechwarrior. I'm trying to get back into CRPGs, but it's tough sometimes.

I’m no longer into games where you grind for loot. I loved Diablo II, it was one of my favourite games ever and I could log on to Battle.net, play either with friends, strangers or by myself for hours a night for months on end back from like 2000 to 2002. But I just can’t do it anymore.

When Diablo 3 came out I played through the campaign once and was done with it. More recently, about three years ago I played a lot of Destiny for about two or three months and got completely sick of it, such that I’m not even interested in trying Destiny 2 or the Division, nor am I interested in Anthem, which appears to be the same style.

I’ve also tried Path of Exile and quit after about an hour or so.

If they announced Diablo 4 tomorrow I’d probably just shrug my shoulders.

As a kid I played a much wider variety of stuff on console. As a teenager it settled mostly into fighting games and RPGs, on consoles. Now it's just World of Warcraft and WWE 2K* on PC. Don't think I've owned my own console since PS2

Mainly been into MMORPGS or Lite-mmos like the new fallout 76. Also recently dabbed into PC gaming was never a big fan before the last 5 years or so as they required to much maintenance out of the box to get a game running smooth and being new at the time I was frustrated as consoles were "plug and play" no messing with drivers, settings,etc.
After learning though and getting the hang of it I love PC for visually intensive games but i love consoles for ease of use.

My taste in the genre of games haven't changed, but man, i couldn't give a shit about most boss battles now.

Most are completely uninteresting and/or seem hastily put together to check the boss battle box.

Despite enjoying The Evil Within 2, i have zero interest in trying to beat Stefano and that's just one of many games.

Last edited:
I’m no longer into games where you grind for loot. I loved Diablo II, it was one of my favourite games ever and I could log on to Battle.net, play either with friends, strangers or by myself for hours a night for months on end back from like 2000 to 2002. But I just can’t do it anymore.

When Diablo 3 came out I played through the campaign once and was done with it. More recently, about three years ago I played a lot of Destiny for about two or three months and got completely sick of it, such that I’m not even interested in trying Destiny 2 or the Division, nor am I interested in Anthem, which appears to be the same style.

I’ve also tried Path of Exile and quit after about an hour or so.

If they announced Diablo 4 tomorrow I’d probably just shrug my shoulders.

Diablo 2 was a masterpiece and d3 was a huge pile of poop. PoE is good but it just doesn't have the addictive quality to me.

Rust is the game. I havent been addicted to a game like this in years. I was starting to feel like I lost passion for gaming until I bought it. Now Im back! Sometimes I forget to eat when I play and that hasnt happened since diablo 2.

The rushes this game can give you is insane. I was literally shaking from adrenaline a few times. I am almost 400 hours in and still kind of a newb.

Its the best game ive played in years, maybe ever, I cant recommend it enough. More people need to check it out.

I've had the same progression (for the same reasons) as you, OP.

In my early days (high school, college) I had 8+ hours per day to play/practice games, and thus preferred competitive online games like Quake 2, StarCraft, Warcraft 3, and the like.

In my college years, I shifted to MMO's like FF11 and WoW which were still time consuming, but required less practice to "keep up" with the competition.

Ever since I left college and found a career, I only play a few hours of games per week. Therefore, competitive games are frustrating (I suck) and so I highly prefer deep single player experiences like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc.

Besides atari as a kid, I really got into gaming in 1994-1996. Wolfenstein then Quake 1 was my game. I wasted hours and hours playing that. Now that quake champions is out I have the Quake addiction back. I did play wow with my wife back in the day, and I love gta 5, just picked it up for xbox 1, but I dont have time for those types of games anymore since having kids.

Back