Hasbro releases Monopoly for Millennials: "Forget real estate. You can't afford it anyway"

20falarVerdades

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Screen-Shot-2018-11-12-at-4.50.03-AM.jpg

Money doesn't always buy a great time, but experiences, whether they're good -- or weird -- last forever. The Monopoly for Millennials game celebrates just that. Instead of collecting as much cash as possible, players are challenged to rack up the most Experiences to win. Travel around the gameboard discovering and visiting cool places to eat, shop, and relax. Interact with other players via Chance and Community Chest cards, (which are super relatable). And players don't pay rent -- they visit one another, earning more Experience points. This board game is a great way to bring a fun and relaxed vibe to a party or casual get-together.

Experiences include a 3-day music festival, a friend's couch, a vegan bistro, bike share, and yoga studio. A hashtag and smiley face emoji are among the tokens. The person with the most student debt rolls first. Uncle Pennybags is wearing a participation ribbon.

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/12/monopoly-for-millennials-r.html

So..... who are the intended consumers of this? Do they think patronising an entire generation is going to make board games great again?

Is there a "change your gender" spot to land on? Or I guess that would apply more to Gen Z

Wow that's actually real.. Didn't know they had something like this...

Looked into it and they've made a Monopoly Cheaters edition where you are encouraged to cheat (steal money, move tokens in different than what your dice tell you to do, etc..) and they are rewarded for successfully cheating and stuff..

kinda cool actually.

in the end they're just trying to spice up the monopoly game board by introducing new rules. meh. used to play risk on a website where they have different maps with a huge variety of rules.

Last edited:
Lol at the stereotypical millennial responses in that article...

Is there a "change your gender" spot to land on? Or I guess that would apply more to Gen Z
No kidding, they're about 20 years late to the millennial party.

Although it's funny, the complaint is that they can't afford real estate, but have no problem dumping $2000 a month or higher on a rental property in a major city.

Although I guess marketing a board game to Gen Z is pointless since they are also dubbed the iGeneration. Why would they want anything that isn't digital.

Pretty funny but I don't see many people going.out to buy board games especially these niche ones monopoly puts out

I think it's hilarious but then again I am an X'er and we make fun of millennials for all this shit all the time.

And it's EXACTLY like being on the internet's information superhighway ... this Christmas: ONLINE THE BOARDGAME™ where it's always www-dot-fun!

Although I guess marketing a board game to Gen Z is pointless since they are also dubbed the iGeneration. Why would they want anything that isn't digital.

Weird flex but okay.

After the collapse banks went from extremely liberal to very wary when it comes to home loans and student debt often impacts approval or rates when it comes to purchasing a loan.

Also concering digital, isn't being a mod an unpaid position? My post count shows my addictive tendencies but your acceptance of being a mod shows you've quite the committal to the internet age.

Also concering digital, isn't being a mod an unpaid position? My post count shows my addictive tendencies but your acceptance of being a mod shows you've quite the committal to the internet age.
I was being sarcastic bud.

Back