Hatton-Pacquiao.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Why was Pacquiao able to destroy Hatton like he did? Was it because of the problems Hatton had in training? Or was he just tailor-made for Pacquiao?

Floyd had broken him and speed killed him.

Also, Manny's power under 147 was significant.

Why was Pacquiao able to destroy Hatton like he did? Was it because of the problems Hatton had in training? Or was he just tailor-made for Pacquiao?

Pretty bad style matchup for Hatton, but he had starting using drugs and went totally off the boil after the Mayweather loss. He had issues with his family and basically was a shell of the fighter pre-Mayweather

He was always liable to go off the rails was Ricky at some point, there are a lot of interviews with him to read up on how that first loss affected him so much

I also think him fighting in America was a bad choice, he seemed to get away with a lot more rough tactics in the UK and the US refs just didnt want to see that sort of thing, and it was a major part of his style

poor training camp
bad style

i thought Manny would win but didn't expect him to retire Hatton in 2

and like the above poster said
floyd broke him despite him being adamant he was fine the next day

can't believe it's nearly been 10 years

Rewatched the fight recently. Hatton was darting straight at Pacquiao, and Pac constantly caught him with right hook counters. Not good at all.

I am not familiar with Hatton's career if he would constantly do that, and maybe get away with it with lesser competition/orthodox boxers.

I also recall Hatton complaining after the fight that Floyd Sr. was constantly late in their training sessions.

Rewatched the fight recently. Hatton was darting straight at Pacquiao, and Pac constantly caught him with right hook counters. Not good at all.

I am not familiar with Hatton's career if he would constantly do that, and maybe get away with it with lesser competition/orthodox boxers.

I also recall Hatton complaining after the fight that Floyd Sr. was constantly late in their training sessions.
This! It as more about how good Manny had become. That was after the DLH fight and most though that was a fluke and a really shot DLH.

Manny is really fast, good at taking angles, and when a guy punches with him, he loses. Ricky could never get set to throw, could never catch his rhythm, and got frustrated, so he made mistakes trying to land his punches. You can't make mistakes against a prime Pacquiao from 2008-2010, you simply lose. All the ATG's under 147 in boxing history (even in black and white footage) would be hard-pressed to beat that version of Pacquaio.

Kellerman called him a "force of nature" during those peak years, and that's probably the best way to describe him.

Hatton wasn't definitely in his prime at the point. Pacquiao still beats prime Ricky but doesn't knock him out easily in 2 rounds like he did.

If you rewatch the 24/7 Hatton was watching pacquiao and called the feint and punch that pacquiao sent him sleepytimes. You couldn’t maul 140 pacquiao. If you know what to expect and get flattened anyway...

Back