Have Any Family Mysteries?

My dad's sister was found hanging in the garage. It was ruled a suicide but some of the family thought her husband killed her.

My dad's sister was found hanging in the garage. It was ruled a suicide but some of the family thought her husband killed her.

Any reasons to suspect him? Suicide note? History of suicidal behavior?

there is one HUGE family secret, that i don't think i'll ever figure out. my aunt's husband apparently killed a guy over a business they both shared. this supposedly took place in their small town in mexico, where the locals govern themselves. and of course, the police are bought by the richer people in the town, which was my aunt's husband. i've been to his home, and he has TONS of guns. like closets full of rifles and pistols. he walks around always packing. the guy is so brazen, that he'll occasionally walk around with a holster and gun in plain sight. when talking to him, he's a super-nice guy. he is a part-owner of a tequila company in arandas, jalisco. i won't say any more, because i don't want to out the guy.

There are many I wish I knew the answers to. I worked on family genealogy and came across many mysteries. I guess one negative mystery I wish I knew more about was where did a great great grandmothers sister's money come from? There were many rumors on that, with possible connections to Chicago mobs in the 1920s.

My Grandpa grew up in an orphanage as well. His family was poor and had too many children, so they had to pick one child to give up to the orphanage. They chose gramps. I think he was like 8, so he knew what was happening. He did not grow up a happy child and never blossomed into a happy man.
I wouldn't be shocked if it was something like that but I just don't know. No one does. He never mentioned having siblings, or at least never around me.

I always got the impression there was some sort of abuse involved but thats just speculation. Whats abuse today was discipline in his era.

.....he has TONS of guns. like closets full of rifles and pistols. he walks around always packing. the guy is so brazen, that he'll occasionally walk around with a holster and gun in plain sight..

sounds like an American teacher in 2019.

the relatives on my mom's side were all Italian and in the New Jersey mob.
my great grandfather Serratelli got indicted and was on his was to the DA's office to
broker a deal to keep him out of prison on racketeering by giving information.
they found his car on the Jersey Turnpike abandoned and no one ever saw or heard
from him again a la Jimmy Hoffa.

in 1971, a building in downtown Newark was being demolished and in the foundation they
found some bones. yep, they put him in the concrete foundation to stop him ratting.

With DNA analysis being so accessible and everyone's natural interest in genealogy, there are gonna be some accidental bombshells dropped.

My mom just found out her dad isn't her dad.

Any reasons to suspect him? Suicide note? History of suicidal behavior?

I don't know why they thought that. I was probably 15 at the time. We lived a distance away and didn't visit my dad's side of the family very often. I didn't hear about it at the time of her death. The suspicion was that he was having an affair with the woman on the farm next door. He did end up living with the neighbor after the death of his wife. I don't know how soon after her death. When they started talking about it I remembered that after the funeral, her husband seemed to be smiling more than I had expected.

I also remembered on the last visit we made before her death, her husband walked out to check on the cows. He was gone for a couple of hours. When he came back he had a problem with a toe. He said he had stopped in the field and decided to trim his toe nails with a jack knife. He slipped with the knife and cut his toe. It was about 40 degrees out and it seemed odd that he would decide to do that outside. After I thought about it, he might have gone to the neighbors and stubbed his toe in the bedroom.

Whether he killed her or she thought he was having an affair and hung herself would be difficult to prove. I never heard if there was a note. My father's family was good at keeping secrets.

We just recently found out that Dad's older sister had a child that she gave up for adoption in 1931 when his children found the family. At first we thought maybe nobody knew about the baby but when they met for the first time, they had copies of the adoption paperwork that reported interviews with the family.

With DNA analysis being so accessible and everyone's natural interest in genealogy, there are gonna be some accidental bombshells dropped.

My mom just found out her dad isn't her dad.

There's quite a bit of that being discovered.

The big mystery in my family was who stole the cookie from the cookie jar.

My mom accused my Dad first, then he in turn accused my sister, who then accused me! I had my suspicions that it was really my mom, so I placed the blame firmly on her.

To this day we have never come to a resolution and probably never will. I fear this question will haunt me for the rest of my days.

The big mystery in my family was who stole the cookie from the cookie jar.

My mom accused my Dad first, then he in turn accused my sister, who then accused me! I had my suspicions that it was really my mom, so I placed the blame firmly on her.

To this day we have never come to a resolution and probably never will. I fear this question will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Back