Have there been any Mad Max: Fury Road rip-offs since its incredible success?

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
It's pretty much a given that when an action movie is as successful and pulse-pounding as Fury Road that there are going to be people trying to cash in on it, both straight-to-DVD companies and major studios.

But I can't immediately think of any. Has anything come out or is anything in the pipeline trying to ride that magic?

the 100 from the CW is dystopian if you added more cars it would be mad max.

a lot of the actors on the 100 are also Australian and British like mad max

It's pretty much a given that when an action movie is as successful and pulse-pounding as Fury Road that there are going to be people trying to cash in on it, both straight-to-DVD companies and major studios.

But I can't immediately think of any. Has anything come out or is anything in the pipeline trying to ride that magic?

Dunno.

There have been desert apocalypse movies coming out every year for decades, though.

Didnt Jon Cena, or Stone Cold star in some moving when they driving in cars, and trying to kill each other?

Dunno.

There have been desert apocalypse movies coming out every year for decades, though.
the maze runners scorch trials is the most recentnone I can remember

it made 378.9 million dollars on a budget of 150 millon.
Worldwide, must be.
Domestically I recall it not doing well.

ETA the formula is twice the production budget for promotion and so forth for the actual cost- 300 mill.

it made 378.9 million dollars on a budget of 150 millon.

Box office
Mad Max: Fury Road became a moderate box office success theatrically.[109] When comparing the final theatrical gross to its $200 million budget (including production, marketing and distribution costs), it was an average hit, with Forbes comparing the box office figures of the film to Edge of Tomorrow, calling it "too expensive, but not really a flop."[110][111] The Hollywood Reporter calculated that the loss incurred by the film was around $20–40 million.[112] According to Forbes, one of the reasons the film emerged less successful than hoped was its cancelled release in China; success there could have aided the film in at least passing $400 million.[113] It grossed $153.6 million in North America and $224.8 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $378.4 million.[6] It had a worldwide opening weekend total of $109 million,[110] and went on to become the second highest-grossing Warner Bros. film of 2015 (behind San Andreas),[114] and the nineteenth highest-grossing film of 2015 worldwide overall.[114]

In the United States and Canada, Mad Max: Fury Road opened simultaneously with Pitch Perfect 2.[115] It opened Friday, 15 May 2015, across 3,702 theatres, and earned $16.77 million on its opening day.[116] This included $3.7 million it made from Thursday night run from 3,000 theatres.[117][118] In its opening weekend, the film grossed $45.4 million, finishing in second at the box office behind Pitch Perfect 2 ($69.2 million).[119] Mad Max: Fury Road, unlike the other seven 2015 Academy Award for Best Picture nominees, became the only film which did not get any box office bump after the nominees were announced in January 2016. However, Fury Road was released eight months prior to the announcement and had ended its theatrical run on September 24, 2015.[6][120]

Outside North America, it opened on 14 May on 12,000 screens in 48 countries, earning $10.4 million.[121] It opened in 20 more countries on 15 May, earning $14.2 million from 16,700 screens in 68 countries, for a two-day total of $24.6 million.[122] Through Sunday, 17 May, it had an opening weekend total of $65 million from over 9.1 million admissions on nearly 16,900 screens across 68 countries, debuting at second place behind Avengers: Age of Ultron. It went number one in 40 countries. Its highest openings were recorded in the UK ($7 million), South Korea ($6.6 million), France ($6.1 million), Russia and the CIS ($6 million) and Australia ($4.9 million).[123] It opened in its last market, Japan, on June 20, earning $2.2 million from 175,000 admissions in its opening weekend debuting at No. 2 behind local film Love Live! The School Idol Movie.[124] In total earnings, its three largest markets outside of the US and Canada are South Korea ($29.7 million), followed by the UK ($26.9 million) and France ($18.1 million).[125][126]

death race was sort of mad max movie
p176368_d_v8_aa.jpg

the maze runners scorch trials is the most recentnone I can remember

Oh, you're talking about actual movies with real budgets, not budget knockoffs.

death race was sort of mad max movie
p176368_d_v8_aa.jpg

Death Race was a sort of Death Race movie. Came out before the original Mad Max.

Possibly rebooted to ride the current Mad Max wave, certainly.

latest

Worldwide, must be.
Domestically I recall it not doing well.

ETA the formula is twice the production budget for promotion and so forth for the actual cost- 300 mill.

It did fine. It didn't light the world on fire, but made an adequate return.

They can't all be Marvel.

Hmmmm.

Death Race came out in the same year as Rollerball.

41PF3HHTDFL.jpg

My mate got chased by some Gypsies in a minivan once. He said that reminded him of Mad Max

What ruined the whole story of MM:FR, in both of it's forms, was the appearance of THE MANY MOTHERS.

You know, the super squad of moto-cross riding granny snipers?

I understand it, the introduction of these characters, was a huge moment for the feminist movement. So I guess one might ask; who would want to even try topping that?

Last edited:
the Mad Max ripoffs exhausted themselves to death in the 80s & 90s VHS era

Back