Have we lost Turkey as an ally?

Turkey is being smart and playing both sides.

So no, they arent an "ally" but there arent many "allies" out there to begin with.

I find it somewhat hilarious when Americans/Europeans feel betrayed when they sense a country is "not their ally" anymore. This is a country that literally invaded all the way to the heart of western europe so that they could wipe them off the face of the fucking Earth, and you think deep down they give a flying fuck about being your "ally"? Turks have used the west and their greed for hundreds of years as protection from Russia and whoever else. They know how to survive, there is no sincerity in their friendship. If they could, they would reduce the west to rubble - and they almost did. Not to mention the Euro/American flip flop on allied support whenever it is strategically, the right move. Nobody is anybody's ally. They are when it suits them.

The Turco-French alliance was i think the longest lasting of the early modern period.

Get your nukes out
We should boot Turkey from NATO , but unfortunately that won't happen, and the Turks know it. So they will try and extract as much concessions from the West as possible, dangling the Russia threat in NATO's face. I would be happy if they left and went over to Russia.

We should boot Turkey from NATO , but unfortunately that won't happen, and the Turks know it. So they will try and extract as much concessions from the West as possible, dangling the Russia threat in NATO's face. I would be happy if they left and went over to Russia.

Which is odd because by simply supporting the kurds who are 20% of Turkey population you could fracture there country. Sure the kurds are all on the southeast but if Kurdistan existing in Northern iraq and North East Syria could become reality the kurds in Turkey would jump for it. Turkey would still be powerful but not be happy to lose such a large piece of land.

of course it is: incirlik nato air base
or let's say, tukey is on the way out of it, because it was being played by the us and europe

Turkey being played? Hahaha.

They are building a nuclear power plant with Russian help. Soon Turkey will be like Iran with a sultan at its head. They will continue to sink into islamism and want to rebuild their shitty Empire. This is not good news for any of its neighbours.

This is excellent news. Id rather have a modern turkish islamic power dealing with that mess than uncle Sam.

Which is odd because by simply supporting the kurds who are 20% of Turkey population you could fracture there country. Sure the kurds are all on the southeast but if Kurdistan existing in Northern iraq and North East Syria could become reality the kurds in Turkey would jump for it. Turkey would still be powerful but not be happy to lose such a large piece of land.

It would just result in a war that turkey would win. Under the cover of warfare theyd expel a ton of kurds.

Turkey ‘may face sanctions’ for buying Russian S-400 missiles and not toeing US line – diplomat
Published time: 19 Apr, 2018 16:50Edited time: 20 Apr, 2018 07:02

Ankara’s decision to buy S-400 air defense systems from Russia exposes Turkey to possible US sanctions and may bar it from getting F-35 jets, a State Department official said, adding that Turkey should “align with the West.”
The warning came on Wednesday from Assistant Secretary of State Wess Mitchell, who spoke to the House Foreign Affairs Committee on behalf of his department’s Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs.

https://www.rt.com/news/424616-turkey-us-sanctions-s400-russia/

Golden Rush-Out: Turkey Extracts Its Bullion Reserves From US
BUSINESS

The total volume of the Turkish Central Bank's gold reserves, which were stored in the United States, stood at 220 tons; last month, Turkey's gold reserves were worth about 25.3 billion dollars.

Local media cited government sources as saying that the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey (CBRT) has transferred its gold reserves from the US Federal Reserve System to Ankara.

In March 2018, the CBRT's gold reserves were worth 25.3 billion dollars; 220 tons of Turkish gold was stored in the US, according to the sources.

The largest private Turkish banks also withdrew their gold reserves from abroad, responding to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's call "to get rid of exchange rate's pressure and to use gold against the dollar."

READ MORE: 95% of Turkey's Population Oppose Alliance With NATO, US – Former General

In particular, the Halk Bankasi bank transferred 29 tons of gold to Turkey, according to the Turkish newspaper Milliyet.

Relations between Turkey and the US have become aggravated against the backdrop of Washington's support for the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in Syria, seen by Ankara as a terrorist group linked to Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) also blacklisted by Turkish government as a terrorist organization. The US military, for its part, cites the necessity to combat Daesh.*

https://sputniknews.com/business/201804201063750442-turkey-central-bank-gold-reserves-us/

We have been losing Pakistan to China for quite some time.

We appear to be losing Turkey, although that is not nearly as clear. I don't think Trump wants to be known as the president that lost Turkey as an ally. Their maybe no more important strategic ally in the world than Turkey.

So there is definitely discussion to be found in whether we have lost them, or on the path to losing Turkey as an ally.

The conversation I would be more interested in however, is what impact it would have if we lost Turkey as an ally.

I have gotten the impression it would be pretty serious, but I'm not all that clear on why.

Perhaps there are some posters here who could enlighten me as to the geo-political consequences of losing Turkey as an ally.

Discuss......

One cannot lose what one never had.

They would not win if the US helped the Kurds.

the US would not help the kurds. The US needs turkey to house its nukes. besides what would "help" mean? they sure as fuck are not going to bomb Turkey.

the US would not help the kurds. The US needs turkey to house its nukes. besides what would "help" mean? they sure as fuck are not going to bomb Turkey.

You did not read what I posted above. I said the US could whether they do or not who knows. Never say never. I agree for now they will bow down to the Turks.

They are building a nuclear power plant with Russian help. Soon Turkey will be like Iran with a sultan at its head. They will continue to sink into islamism and want to rebuild their shitty Empire. This is not good news for any of its neighbours.
Sink into Islamism? What Islamist policies has Erdogan enacted? The only one I can think of is lifting the ban on hijabs in universities but that's basically bringing their religious freedom more in line with that of the US if anything.
This is excellent news. Id rather have a modern turkish islamic power dealing with that mess than uncle Sam.
Not for the Kurds
It would just result in a war that turkey would win. Under the cover of warfare theyd expel a ton of kurds.
And more refugees is not exactly what the region needs right now.

Sink into Islamism? What Islamist policies has Erdogan enacted? The only one I can think of is lifting the ban on hijabs in universities but that's basically bringing their religious freedom more in line with that of the US if anything.

What policies do you expect? Banning women from driving? Well he is against belly dancers and hookah, and from memory these are threatened.

His whole ethos is based on a resurgence of Islam and ottomanism, which is disgusting given what century we are in.

What policies do you expect? Banning women from driving? Well he is against belly dancers and hookah, and from memory these are threatened.

His whole ethos is based on a resurgence of Islam and ottomanism, which is disgusting given what century we are in.
Well, I expect if you're going to accuse him of a slide into Islamism you could name some policies. Has he banned belly dancing and/or hookah?

In reality his ethos is more based in neoliberalism than Islam. He ran on dismantling the top-down state control of the economy which was one of the tenants of Kemalism and instead liberalized it to the benefit of an emerging middle class at the expense of the old elites, that's how he made his name before taking a nasty turn to authoritarianism and conspiracy thinking.

Well, I expect if you're going to accuse him of a slide into Islamism you could name some policies. Has he banned belly dancing and/or hookah?

In reality his ethos is more based in neoliberalism than Islam. He ran on dismantling the top-down state control of the economy which was one of the tenants of Kemalism and instead liberalized it to the benefit of an emerging middle class at the expense of the old elites, that's how he made his name before taking a nasty turn to authoritarianism and conspiracy thinking.

Again, he doesn’t need to do something blatant like being back beheadings to be accused of islamism (see my link).Turkey was a very different place when I visited in the 1990s.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...cular-turkey-sharia-is-gradually-taking-over/

Back