have you encountered this person

mrsenor

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Ichiro (Suzuki) observed: “In the 16 years that I have been here, what I've noticed is that in America, when people feel like a person is below them, not just in numbers but in general, they will kind of talk you up. But then when you get up to the same level or maybe even higher, they get in attack mode; they are maybe not as supportive. I kind of felt that this time.”

It's a relatively common personality type.

Seen it many times in the UK. It's mostly jealousy, isn't it?

Not quite the same, but my favourite type of change in someone is the girl that has a guy chase after them at school or at work and they're not interested..... But, as soon as that guy finds a new girl and moves on, they want him badly.

Always thought that was messed up and never understood it. If I was in the same situation and a girl who chased me moved on, I'd be happy for them.

Sure sounds like jealousy.

The thing about women is something different, isn't it? Social proof or whatever, they see a guy with a woman as pre-vetted where as a guy alone might have something off about him.

There's some saying that goes like this: Want to know who your real friends are? Become successful and rich and you'll find out.

Jealousy is real and it's everywhere!! Some people just can't be happy for someone else, even if they known them well, it's crazy how people resent those that succeed in life. I've seen this many times in my life and I'm not even rich.

You can't just generalize everyone like that. But yes, there are people like that. There are infinite varieties of douche out there

Isn't the opposite worse? Kiss up to the higher status and looking down those you deem beneath you

Shitty people exist in every country and culture, it's not an American trait.

They have what you call the Tall Poppy Syndrome.
Same thing that drives Marxism.

https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2017/06/21/tall-poppy-syndrome/

What is tall poppy syndrome?
Rebel Wilson, an Australian comedian and actor, won her defamation case last week, suing the publisher of several popular Australian magazines for publishing stories accusing her of being a liar about her age and background. In a tweet, Wilson sarcastically thanked the ‘shady Australian press’ for their ‘tall poppy syndrome’.

Australians would know exactly what was meant by Wilson’s comment, but international audiences may well have been left scratching their heads and wondering what she was talking about.

Tall poppy and tall poppy syndrome are well-attested Australianisms and refer to a tendency in Australian society to try and cut down people who are considered to be too successful or prominent (cutting the tall poppies down to size). Australians generally don’t like others to do too well, or (to use another popular Australian term) to ‘big-note’ themselves.

The first evidence for tall poppy in Australian records dates back to 1871 and occurs in a newspaper story about the Chief Secretary of the colony of Victoria taking the ‘tall poppies’ into government. The term continued to be used in Australia into the twentieth century to describe conspicuously successful people, but evidence suggests that these tall poppies were frequently viewed with envy and even resentment.

That would explain why most of sherdog talks so much trash on everyone; they know they are dirt and are attacking those above them (almost everyone).

edit: I thought this post was in the UFC discussion forum, where I think it is more applicable.

Last edited:
Back