Have you ever been in a structure fire?

a42a2aa6c7440291c38ba9adc5892a56_XL.jpg

I never have although I have been kicked out of buildings about 250 times for false alarms. In my life I have seen one structure fire, which was a factory, and known one person whose house had a fire, an older boy I knew slightly at school. No one was hurt. Never called the fire brigade. They generally have nothing to do. They have more false alarms than genuine call outs and most of their genuine call outs are not fire-related. If there is a fire it's very rarely a domicile, it will usually be a torched car or rubbish dump on fire etc. Similar to the police I have personally got nothing back from all of the taxes that I have paid them. Fire used to be a big killer a few decades ago but nowadays you hardly even worry about it.

More safety features in buildings
Fire retardant substances
Smoke alarms
More advanced heating systems / less burning coal/wood
Fewer factories and manufacturing
Less smoking
People don't fry their own chips much now
Everyone carrying a phone means the Fire Brigade will be called immediately

Fires-and-Firefighters.png

Fire is somehow fascinating though and sometimes you do still get a deadly structure fire. I don't live in a wildfire area but that looks pretty bad and it seems to be getting worse. That's a whole different kettle of fish, firemen can't really put those out like a burning building.

c58f7faf-3571-4b58-96a8-89e348be4d2b.gif

Yes- A bunch of times- I used to be a ff-

Although they are not as common, in the U.S. most calls for the fire dept are EMS calls. However, when there are fires now days, they are much hotter, more dangerous, and cause more damage due to the many chemicals used in any dwelling.

Yes- A bunch of times- I used to be a ff-

Although they are not as common, in the U.S. most calls for the fire dept are EMS calls. However, when there are fires now days, they are much hotter, more dangerous, and cause more damage due to the many chemicals used in any dwelling.

Did you ever get a rollover, like in the pictures? (I presume the gif is in a training room). You only have a couple of seconds to get out of there before getting burned, right?

My house burned down when I was in 6th grade. Bad wiring. My mom smelled smoke and we noticed the wall was bubbling . Next thing I know the whole house is burning. I ran over to the neighbors and had them call 911. Ran back inside my house and helped my mom pack up valuable and get our dog out. When fire truck rolled up they yelled at my mom and I for making trips back inside.

It was a fun expierence for an 11 year old boy except all my clothes were burned and it took a while to get an insurance check. My mom bought me one pair of jeans and a pack of white t shirts and it's all I wore for a month. I got a lot of shit for my wardrobe

About 20 years ago, my house burned down. It could have been much worse - wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Did you ever get a rollover, like in the pictures? (I presume the gif is in a training room). You only have a couple of seconds to get out of there before getting burned, right?

Not like that- only in a flashover trailer in training- definitely only have a few seconds before everything combusts-

How do firefighters prevent fires from happening? Serious question. Is it inspections?
In the UK you can contact the fire department and they can get someone around to your house to inspect your property and make recommendations.

Although with large multi tenancy and commercial buildings, the Grenfell public enquiry showed the building industry don't really care too much about safety and even lobby against tougher regulations to make buildings safer. It also highlighted some terrible decisions fighterfighters had to make in terms of saving people and having to leave others behind.

I saw Backdraft a couple of times so pretty much, yeah.

In the UK you can contact the fire department and they can get someone around to your house to inspect your property and make recommendations.

Although with large multi tenancy and commercial buildings, the Grenfell public enquiry showed the building industry don't really care too much about safety and even lobby against tougher regulations to make buildings safer. It also highlighted some terrible decisions fighterfighters had to make in terms of saving people and having to leave others behind.

We got a visit from the firemen when I was in primary school.

If you think about it a fireman with the mask and loud breathing and all the bulky gear on can look quite scary to a small child and unfortunately they can tend to run and hide from them, which is one of the reasons for the school visits. Don't know if they still do them as as discussed there just aren't that many fires anymore.

Back