Having grit

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
After doing jiu jitsu for like 5 years it finally occured to me I've been doing the same thing that's hindering my game. During a roll ill pass someone's guard or get a submission, then mentally ill sort of give up, and cede the position and easily get my guard passed, cuz in the back of my mind I'm thinking 'i passed his guard once/tapped him, that's good enough for me.'

Just curious if anyone else has gone through this phase. I think it's just a matter of manning up and having the grit to keep a steady pace the entire roll.

That is interesting, and while I can't say I've experienced it, I always do try and make sure I do something that makes me proud in a roll, whether it be sweep, escape, submission, etc.

The mental game is really important for sure though. I competed yesterday and one gold for the first time. In the final match I kept saying to myself 'I'm happy with silver', but I finally snapped out of it, and once I decided silver was not good enough, I managed to tap him with 30 seconds left and him up on points.

I think you are right, and unless you feel the need to let them get something on you, then you should keep up the pace, you never want to do that in a situation where it matters.

I have to consciously work on being a sadist. A lot of the time, the difference between a technique working or not is between "we're grappling but I feel civilized" and "fuck you, your tears are delicous". This isn't to say you need to go harder or faster, but just be ruthless about exploiting openings - especially lapses in conditioning and willpower.

My offensive game got a LOT better when I decided to stop worrying if the blue belts though I was being mean.

It happens. I remember coming up if I tapped a higher belt (that didn't happen all that often) I would immediately change my game to less offensive. Also when going against people 2 belts lower i tap them once and I almost always just let them.pass my guard to.start the next roll
And i don't know why

After doing jiu jitsu for like 5 years it finally occured to me I've been doing the same thing that's hindering my game. During a roll ill pass someone's guard or get a submission, then mentally ill sort of give up, and cede the position and easily get my guard passed, cuz in the back of my mind I'm thinking 'i passed his guard once/tapped him, that's good enough for me.'

Just curious if anyone else has gone through this phase. I think it's just a matter of manning up and having the grit to keep a steady pace the entire roll.

It is normal.

You adjust to your sparring partner level and skills.

I mean if you easily tapped him out quickly. It is normal to put yourself in a bad spot and work your defense skills. It is a win win situation.

Sometimes I would let a white belt submit me and I will tap if I think he or she did the correct techniques.

Then I oblige by using the same sub within the same round as part of the game....just to let them I can pull the trigger.

I am a very diplomatic and laid back individual so am very chilled with lower belts. However with the young aggressive guys who are developing a dangerous game I deliberately become cold, calculated and ruthless in my attacks when they present themselves. It's perhaps the only time in my life I get to tap into this mindset in a controlled environment so I like to see how clinical and detached I can get whilst trying to crush.

And just to qualify that statement, I'm not overly aggressive or being a dick when I do this, just trying to keep a martial mind and not 'keep it playful' all the time as I think it is a bad habit.

I'm constantly aggressive. I'll pass your guard, smash, and tap you as many times as I can in a round. My problem is making myself *not* do that against lower belts.

I believe 'keep it playful' is a blight on BJJ culture.

Back