Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano Erupts: "Area of Major Disaster" Declared By The Federal Government.

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score

Hawaii volcano threat: Massive earthquakes hit island as lava damages homes

Doug Stanglin,Jane Onyanga-Omara and Christal Hayes | May 4, 2018

Another batch of earthquakes hit Hawaii on Friday as hundreds of residents rushed to evacuate safely and lava slowly bubbled into neighborhoods, damaging several homes.

Two back-to-back earthquakes, first a 5.4 magnitude then a 6.9 magnitude, were recorded by the U.S. Geological Survey along the eastern coast of Hawaii’s Big Island, where the Kilauea volcano erupted. There have been earthquakes on the island for several days, due to the magma that was pushing up through the volcano.

Hawaii officials have ordered evacuations of those in the path of the volcano and warned Friday that seniors, young people and those with respiratory problems should leave nearby areas immediately because of extremely high levels of sulfur dioxide gas.

Some 1,500 people fled late Thursday from a small residential area on the island after the initial eruption sent lava snaking through a forest, spurting from a 500-foot crack and flowing down a residential street.

Mayor Wil Okabe told the Associated Press that two homes have burned and officials are still working to confirm the extent of damage, noting the homes likely burned to the ground. The earthquakes were not strong enough to cause a tsunami. No tsunami threat or advisory is in place, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

No damage was immediately reported from the earthquakes but officials are still working to scout the area.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige issued the mandatory evacuation order for the Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens subdivisions and activated the National Guard to help with evacuations and security.

merlin_137665137_4ef2b62e-f8ab-4422-baae-2c5da2ed1f7c-master675.jpg

Hawaii civil defense officials said on Friday that the volcano is still erupting and driving up sulfur dixoide gas to extremely high levels.

Exposure to sulfur dioxide gas can cause irritation or burns, sore throats, runny noses, burning eyes and coughing.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

At one point, lava fountains were shooting 150 feet in the air, and molten lava spread out over an area about 200 yards wide behind one house in Leilani Estates, Big Island resident Ikaika Marzo told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser .

“It sounds like a jet engine. It’s going hard,” he said.

The evacuees were sheltering at two community centers near the town of Pahoa on the Big Island.

"The danger is of such magnitude that it warrants pre-emptive and protective action in order to provide for the safety, health and welfare of the residents of Leilani Estates and surrounding areas," Ige tweeted.

636610375479121141-050418-Hawaii-volcano-Online-zones-copy.png

Resident Jeremiah Osuna captured drone footage of the lava burning through the trees, a scene he described as a “curtain of fire.”

“It sounded like if you were to put a bunch of rocks into a dryer and turn it on as high as you could. You could just smell sulfur and burning trees and underbrush and stuff,” he told Honolulu television station KHON.

The eruption is not an unusual event there: "This eruption is typical of Kilauea," said Jessica Johnson, a geophysicist at the University of East Anglia, who worked for two years at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. She said Kilauea is one of the most active and well-monitored volcanoes in the world.

Officials said there is no way to predict how long the eruption will continue or what shape it will take. “This eruption could be finished or could go on for a long time," Johnson said.

After the 500-foot fissure appeared in Leilani Estates, it generated mostly spatter and intermittent bubble bursts for about two hours, with lava stopping after only a few yards, according to the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, but could start again at any moment.

The eruption comes after days of earthquakes that rattled the area’s Puna district. A nearby school was closed due to the ongoing seismic activity, and several roadways cracked under the strain of the constant temblors. A magnitude 5.0 earthquake was recorded hours before the eruption began Thursday.

636610283004518973-050418-Hawaii-volcano-Online-zones.png

The Puu Oo crater floor began to collapse Monday, triggering a series of earthquakes and pushing the lava into new underground chambers.

The collapse caused magma to push more than 10 miles downslope toward the populated southeast coastline of the island.

USGS geologist Janet Babb said the magma crossed under Highway 130, which leads to a popular volcano access point, on Tuesday night.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ea-volcano-sends-lava-into-streets/580033002/

Last edited:
I'm on the other side of the island from the lava. But the two quakes rattled my workplace. :eek::D

Is the lava up where Pohakuloa Training Area is?

It seems like it is from the description, but that was 20 years ago for me.

Is the lava up where Pohakuloa Training Area is?

It seems like it is from the description, but that was 20 years ago for me.

I don't think so. Pretty sure that's an elevated location too. But looking at the map in the OP it looks like 2/3 of the island is under threat.

@Arkain2K always appreciate your threads. I think you probably have the best threads in the WR, thanks for always being top notch.

Damn, that boiling fissure right behind the police's roadblock :eek:

Well. At least it's not nuclear annihilation this time.

I'm on the other side of the island from the lava. But the two quakes rattled my workplace. :eek::D

Be patient and wait for your turn! All of Hawaii got a chance to win the next lava lottery. And the next. And the next. :cool:

@Arkain2K always appreciate your threads. I think you probably have the best threads in the WR, thanks for always being top notch.

Glad some of you enjoy these topics. May be one day we'll have a Business/Science/Tech section for things like this so people don't have to wade neck-deep through the raw sewage to get to them :)

Be patient and wait for your turn! All of Hawaii got a chance to win the next lava lottery. And the next. And the next. :cool:

I'm 800 feet up the side of an extinct volcano. Before it got to me, damn near the entire island would need to be submerged in lava. I like my chances.

I felt the one at 11:30 but was out on the street walking for the one at 12:30 and didn't feel in. People at work were stressing on it a little. Even thought they are way less dangerous than the exploding volcanos like Mt. Saint Helen, there is something spooky about a lava eruption. I guess because it's so red, hot and kinda scary looking. As of yesterday there have been no reported injuries from this eruption.

A friend of mine in Hilo was helping take care of an elderly person and was helping them on the toilet when one of the earthquakes hit. She said stuff was falling from the shelves and she was shielding her with her body. I think the second one was a 6.9 which is a pretty good size quake. When you feel these quakes you wonder if a crack in the ground will appear and lava start to spew. Different than the quakes in California.

Looks like there may be new Hawaiin real estate to invest in.

I felt the one at 11:30 but was out on the street walking for the one at 12:30 and didn't feel in. People at work were stressing on it a little. Even thought they are way less dangerous than the exploding volcanos like Mt. Saint Helen, there is something spooky about a lava eruption. I guess because it's so red, hot and kinda scary looking. As of yesterday there have been no reported injuries from this eruption.

A friend of mine in Hilo was helping take care of an elderly person and was helping them on the toilet when one of the earthquakes hit. She said stuff was falling from the shelves and she was shielding her with her body. I think the second one was a 6.9 which is a pretty good size quake. When you feel these quakes you wonder if a crack in the ground will appear and lava start to spew. Different than the quakes in California.

Amen.

Looking online, it seems 6.9 and above isn't too common. Crazy.

Looks like there may be new Hawaiin real estate to invest in.

Have at it. :)

I'm 800 feet up the side of an extinct volcano. Before it got to me, damn near the entire island would need to be submerged in lava. I like my chances.

800 feet up on the air just means the falling shower of brimstones and fire and toxic cloud will land on your head first, Cubo :D

Back