HBO documentary, A Dangerous Son

I realized after reading that post that i didn't really clarify, that I mean choke a kid when they go into that crisis mode, instead of calling the cops.
So as a submission technique to prevent hurting him/herself and others?
Not a bad idea, calling the cops in situations like this is very scary; lots of cases end in death, but not many people are capable of pulling that off.

either we all of a sudden have a drastic increase in actual, diagnosed and observed Mental/Behavioral Health conditions....

Or they are being heavily overdiagnosed, or perhaps a combination of the two

Makes you wonder how people with actual conditions got by like 50+ years ago, surely they were deemed a 'spaz' or something and just shunned I imagine
It's also fairly obvious to me at least, why so many Vietnam veterans became homeless. Possible drug use while there + likely PTSD/Battle Fatigue and probably no treatment when came home....or you know the Stallone speech from First Blood sums it up

If i'm being honest I don't think the South ever collectively recovered from not only the economic results of the Civil War/Reconstruction, but also the like cultural PTSD they all musta felt after losing and that's probably an underlying factor why it lags behind today in so many metrics

it is good, however, that our society is clearly changing to make MH issues less of a stigma

In the five years I was in the Army, for instance, I saw the culture go from 'quit being a bitch' to 'please, get help if you need it', a complete 180

either we all of a sudden have a drastic increase in actual, diagnosed and observed Mental/Behavioral Health conditions....

Or it was heavily underdiagnosed before and still is somewhat underdiagnosed now but not to the same extent.

Makes you wonder how people with actual conditions got by like 50+ years ago, surely they were deemed a 'spaz' or something and just shunned I imagine
It's also fairly obvious to me at least, why so many Vietnam veterans became homeless. Possible drug use while there + likely PTSD/Battle Fatigue and probably no treatment when came home....or you know the Stallone speech from First Blood sums it up

If i'm being honest I don't think the South ever collectively recovered from not only the economic results of the Civil War/Reconstruction, but also the like cultural PTSD they all musta felt after losing and that's probably an underlying factor why it lags behind today in so many metrics

I think perhaps our understanding has evolved a bit. The idea of a mental health issue existing somewhere on a spectrum of minor to severe, has to lead to increased diagnoses.

Or it was heavily underdiagnosed before and still is somewhat underdiagnosed now but not to the same extent.
Fair enough, that could totally be it

which makes me wonder: in previous generations when life was clearly much harder in terms of lifestyle/comforts/longevity/healthcare/workplace rights etc... was there just some massive undiagnosed swath of the population walking around effected with Mental Health issues? If so, how did our society function?

Or have people somehow adjusted to the easier lifestyle (lets say First World Problems) that the collective psyche has somehow become weakened or altered? maybe due to steroids/additives in food which cause chemical/hormonal imbalances, previous use of lead paint, etc... in other worlds environmental factors?

I'm legit asking your opinion, I have no clue.

Mental healthcare in our country is absolutely abysmal, and not prioritized by anything more than lip service

Example, there are currently 45 qualified school counselor applicants for 1 open position around me. 45 experienced (not just out of school) counselors looking for jobs because counseling positions are constantly cut by school budgets. And then when a kid goes mad and stabs a teacher or shoots up a school, we blame his mental illness while the counselor has 700 students she/he is responsible for and it’s not surprising some slip through the cracks and are not given the attention and help they need

Off soap box

HBO did have the Dennis Miller show lest we forget, but ya I think it's just Real Time being there and Vice that lead people to think it's way liberal or something

I mean they have GoT and Oz before that ffs, plenty of conservatives watch those shows right? Same w/ Sopranos?

There documentaries cover alot of liberal issues.

In a good way. More classical liberal. Mostly at least. They have done some shit as well.

So I watched this documentary, and I had a few takeaways.

Critique of the role the left plays in this discussion:

4 boys are spotlighted in this film. 3 of them are raised by a single mom. The 1 that isn't, has obvious and severe issues. He rocks back and forth, his hands make claw shapes, and he waves them around involuntarily. This kid without a doubt had severe health issues, that went beyond just mental health.

For the other 3 boys, while I don't want to assume a lack of serious mental health issues, if there was a male in those homes, I don't think they would need to be put in residential full time mental health care. The lack of a male in those homes, was either a important contributing factor to the behaviour of those boys, or the important contributing factor.

No mention of this topic was made in the documentary.

Critique of the role the right plays in this discussion.

The congressman's son who killed himself because they couldn't find him a bed in a mental health facility for the night, was eye opening. If a congressmen can't get his kid a bed in a psychiatric hospital when his dad took him to the ER, on the same night his son later then stabbed his dad, and committed suicide, what chance does Jane or Jon Q Public have?

Ronald Reagan is a God damn villain for what he did to mental HC spending. We need government for mental HC. These shootings we see today, might just be the direct result of the massive cuts Reagan made to mental Health Care spending.

We already have health care rationing. When they refused that kid a bed, that was a death panel.

Discuss............

I used to work in a residental treatment facility for boys when I was younger. It seemed that there were three types of kids there. Outright crazy kids, kids who never once got a butt whooping and had become over the top brats, and kid who were there because any time in their lives they'd made a simple little kid mistake, all they had ever gotten in return was a butt whooping. And there was also that one kid who was there for somehow managing to accidently kill an alpaca with a sling shot and was just looking around at everyone else like he was on another planet.

Secondly, that Congressman's son couldn't get a bed because in theory we are a nation that doesn't have a gentry and doesn't rush people to the front of the line because of their social status. In theory.

Lastly, the last thing we need is more government intervention into things like this. How you can look at the Charlie Gard and Alfie Evans cases amongst others in the UK and think "yep, government intervention in our healthcare is clearly the answer" is beyond me.

ITT @VivaRevolution informed me only liberals watch HBO.

I didn't know that.

Thanks.

Well, liberals would seem to make up the lion's share of educational documentary viewers.

Conservatives prefer Dinesh D'Souza type stuff. Docs like this lack the flare of climaxing in a scorched, smoldering America with black Muslims doing satanic rituals on the ash heaps of America.

Mental healthcare in our country is absolutely abysmal, and not prioritized by anything more than lip service

Example, there are currently 45 qualified school counselor applicants for 1 open position around me. 45 experienced (not just out of school) counselors looking for jobs because counseling positions are constantly cut by school budgets. And then when a kid goes mad and stabs a teacher or shoots up a school, we blame his mental illness while the counselor has 700 students she/he is responsible for and it’s not surprising some slip through the cracks and are not given the attention and help they need

Off soap box

Obama is the only president of the past half century that did good for the mentally ill, and even that was marginal.

a good ass whoopin is all they need

I would like to (softly) push back on this.

In terms of diagnosed mental health conditions, especially anxiety and mood disorders, male parents/guardians may be less helpful and have a greater potential to exacerbate the condition, particularly in male children. This is by responding hostilely to it, such as you see here with the reductive wannabe be alpha male-types here. It isn't as stark as it used to be, what with the growing acceptance of mental health issues.

As JVS said, most everyone would agree two guardians are better than one, but in terms of dealing with a mental illness I would prioritize having a mother over having a father 10/10.

dont forget radical religious indoctrination or other thinking. I think the idea that évery father´ is good is way overhyped and used by people who want less accountability in country.

Fair enough, that could totally be it

which makes me wonder: in previous generations when life was clearly much harder in terms of lifestyle/comforts/longevity/healthcare/workplace rights etc... was there just some massive undiagnosed swath of the population walking around effected with Mental Health issues? If so, how did our society function?

Or have people somehow adjusted to the easier lifestyle (lets say First World Problems) that the collective psyche has somehow become weakened or altered? maybe due to steroids/additives in food which cause chemical/hormonal imbalances, previous use of lead paint, etc... in other worlds environmental factors?

I'm legit asking your opinion, I have no clue.

Man, I don't know either. Could be that if everyone is pretty much unhappy most of the time (I'm aware that that's not really what depression is or what other disorders are), it's not even something that matters. Like if everyone in a village had bad eyesight, they wouldn't even know to diagnose and try to fix it.

I would like to (softly) push back on this.

In terms of diagnosed mental health conditions, especially anxiety and mood disorders, male parents/guardians may be less helpful and have a greater potential to exacerbate the condition, particularly in male children. This is by responding hostilely to it, such as you see here with the reductive wannabe be alpha male-types here. It isn't as stark as it used to be, what with the growing acceptance of mental health issues.

As JVS said, most everyone would agree two guardians are better than one, but in terms of dealing with a mental illness I would prioritize having a mother over having a father 10/10.
Do you have any data to back that up? I would find it very hard to believe that a young boy with mental health issues would be better off under the care of a single mom than under the care of his biological, married parents but science does have a way of revealing counter-intuitive truths.

Obama is the only president of the past half century that did good for the mentally ill, and even that was marginal.

Minnesota actually rolled out something solid, at least on paper, curious to see how it comes into practice. $50 million for school safety bill after the Florida school shooting, and schools can use that money for not just say metal detectors or door locks or stuff, but also for hiring more school counselors. I’m glad there’s some recognition of the counselors ability to help problems before they reach such a severe state (and indentify those way gone to get them proper medical and professional help)

Solid work by Republicans in the house and a Democrat governor making something good for all I feel

Last edited:
Back