HBO documentary, A Dangerous Son

Minnesota actually rolled out something solid, at least on paper, curious to see how it comes into practice. $50 million for school safety bill after the Florida school shooting, and schools can use that money for not just say metal detectors or door locks or stuff, but also for hiring more school counselors. I’m glad there’s some recognition of the counselors ability to help problems before they reach such a severe state (and indentify those way gone to get them proper medical and professional help)

Solid work by Republicans in the house and a Democrat governor making something good for all I feel

Yeah, Minnesota has been uniquely effective it seems for a while. Good to hear they're making headway.

Yeah, Minnesota has been uniquely effective it seems for a while. Good to hear they're making headway.

Yeah. Republican backed bill, got some pushback from the minority Dems for not including any gun control in it, D governor told them to knock it off it was still a good thing and they could push for other gun laws in a separate bill if they wanted

System actually working bipartisanly for once

There is nothing sadder than the lack of seriousness the richest country in the world has towards mental health. The cost can be outrageous and the available help is often over worked and inefficient for the needs of the individual.

I used to work in a residental treatment facility for boys when I was younger. It seemed that there were three types of kids there. Outright crazy kids, kids who never once got a butt whooping and had become over the top brats, and kid who were there because any time in their lives they'd made a simple little kid mistake, all they had ever gotten in return was a butt whooping. And there was also that one kid who was there for somehow managing to accidently kill an alpaca with a sling shot and was just looking around at everyone else like he was on another planet.

Secondly, that Congressman's son couldn't get a bed because in theory we are a nation that doesn't have a gentry and doesn't rush people to the front of the line because of their social status. In theory.

Lastly, the last thing we need is more government intervention into things like this. How you can look at the Charlie Gard and Alfie Evans cases amongst others in the UK and think "yep, government intervention in our healthcare is clearly the answer" is beyond me.

Because Charlie and Alphie, were no different then what goes on everyday in America, over and over, without the media coverage.

Instead of government denying care, it is insurance companies denying care.

Your doomsday scenario is already here.

Because Charlie and Alphie, were no different then what goes on everyday in America, over and over, without the media coverage.

Instead of government denying care, it is insurance companies denying care.

Your doomsday scenario is already here.

Regardless of how insurance companies behave, is anyone denying a person the right to pay for their own healthcare or move to a different hospital willing to provide healthcare at no cost while using the police to enforce this death sentence?

as JVS said, most everyone would agree two guardians are better than one, but in terms of dealing with a mental illness I would prioritize having a mother over having a father 10/10.

Women have a bond with their offspring that's not possible for a male to match. Its displayed throughout the animal kingdom. You hit the nail on the head by saying men respond to things with a hostile approach that they don't understand. It pretty much comes down to women care more.

Id be confident in saying women in general are better suited to any form of emotional support for a child.

I would like to (softly) push back on this.

In terms of diagnosed mental health conditions, especially anxiety and mood disorders, male parents/guardians may be less helpful and have a greater potential to exacerbate the condition, particularly in male children. This is by responding hostilely to it, such as you see here with the reductive wannabe be alpha male-types here. It isn't as stark as it used to be, what with the growing acceptance of mental health issues.

As JVS said, most everyone would agree two guardians are better than one, but in terms of dealing with a mental illness I would prioritize having a mother over having a father 10/10.

All fathers won't respond to this issue in a manner that might exacerbate anything . . . some will, but not all. Preferring a single mother household simply because a situation might be compounded by an uncaring father is short sighted in my opinion. A loving, caring home with a mother and father should always be a priority.

Women have a bond with their offspring that's not possible for a male to match. Its displayed throughout the animal kingdom. You hit the nail on the head by saying men respond to things with a hostile approach that they don't understand. It pretty much comes down to women care more.

Id be confident in saying women in general are better suited to any form of emotional support for a child.

This is not the case 100% of the time . . . in my opinion, attitudes similar to this towards fathers is part of the problems with our society today.

Back