He Hit You, You're Hurt, What Do You Do?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ever been sparring or fighting and been hurt?

I'm talking nose stuffed, iron taste in the mouth, ears ringing, and your legs trying to create a new dance on the spot without you telling them to.

What do you do?

Cover?
Clinch?
Back pedal?
Shuffle away?
Trade blows?

What is going through your mind in these situations. How do you respond?

I'm talking nose stuffed, iron taste in the mouth, ears ringing, and your legs trying to create a new dance on the spot without you telling them to.

What do you do?

Cover?
Clinch?
Back pedal?
Shuffle away?
Trade blows?

Charge forward, smash, clinch, smash, takedown, smash, smash, smash.

Tell them I had sex with his mom and wife

Its practice for a fight so I do what I do then, don't show any sign it affected me even though it did. Last thing you want when hurt is to show it, you do that heat is going to go down hard. So I counter back with a combination and clinch. Once in awhile I shuffle away, but not after throwing something first.

What is going on in my mind in those situations? "Damn, that was good. kudos. I have to give you one back now"

What do you do?

Cover?
Clinch?
Back pedal?
Shuffle away?
Trade blows?

all of the above minus trading blows. gotta find a way to recover, any one of those things you mentioned could work, which one to use, depends on the situation for that exact moment.

I like to back pedal and "run" around the ring when im fatigued. I have a few other tricks up my sleeve for catching a spare breathe or two. when your really fatigued, and its "life or death" every breathe counts.

Ya know, there's a weird method of training that the Communist Countries do which modern conditioning coaches like to poo poo. But...it's designed to simulate when you're hurt and involves invoking dizziness, and trying to throw punches on unstable surfaces. If anyone has ever been rocked, I mean...legs gone...it's very easy to lose your sense of direction. I used to do this more frequently and have been planning on re-vamping it, and it was my students' most hated exercises. I remember my favorite quote came from Cyclone Mike who said: "Yeah this is not good...you've had us do some hard shit before but this shit feels like I just did...chemotherapy."

One thing was for sure, though, they lost their fear of being rocked and were able to remain more calm if/when it happened. And they could keep their sight and retain their memory if something bad did happen. In other words, they didn't close their eyes and then get hurt so bad they blacked out and had no idea what happened to them.

Ya know, there's a weird method of training that the Communist Countries do which modern conditioning coaches like to poo poo. But...it's designed to simulate when you're hurt and involves invoking dizziness, and trying to throw punches on unstable surfaces. If anyone has ever been rocked, I mean...legs gone...it's very easy to lose your sense of direction. I used to do this more frequently and have been planning on re-vamping it, and it was my students' most hated exercises. I remember my favorite quote came from Cyclone Mike who said: "Yeah this is not good...you've had us do some hard shit before but this shit feels like I just did...chemotherapy."

One thing was for sure, though, they lost their fear of being rocked and were able to remain more calm if/when it happened. And they could keep their sight and retain their memory if something bad did happen. In other words, they didn't close their eyes and then get hurt so bad they blacked out and had no idea what happened to them.

I had a Polish coach that did this back in the day, never had anyone else since. It was hilarious he would get us to shadow box straight after........ He would get us to use a broom stick and spin round it until dizzy.

Last edited:

Awesome, I've seen Rigo do this style of training. He'll roll, and spin around in circles then throw punches. May be something to it.

First time I saw it was a long time ago in a Fedor documentary... Front rolls, then shadow boxing. Gonna try to find it.

Edit: Not the one I was talking about, but the same idea at 2:10

Last edited:
I always take a knee to indicate that I'm done. My logic is that I don't want to continue getting hit and get concussed. Maybe I am being a wuss.

A few weeks ago I did this though and took a shot to the head as I dropped. Maybe I should scream "stop!" or something in the future.

WTF is this the grappling forum?

Strikers doing Ukemi?

Nice!
giphy.gif

I normally just drink 20oz of burbon then shadow box, but this way looks fun as well

Last edited:
Just crawl into a fetal position and cry.<DCrying>

Lol did this training on my own, you don't have to live in Siberia to figure that out yourself.

Not sure it was implied that one needed to

We do something similar as described by Sinister, Huggins, and Fedor in that clip. Call it the dizzy drill (not a clever name in the least) and spin around like Fedor, but with our lead hand pointing at the ceiling and staring up at it.

Once a fighter is dizzy, they try to shadow box with composure. They're asked to repeat the drill the moment they no longer feel dizzy.

As others have said, it looks super goofy but is eerily similar to being rocked.

We use a rope ladder layed down, left feet in, right one in the next in, then jump with left 90 degree reverse out of it (right stays) , jump again further 90 degree in front of right. Then jump with right foot 90 degree 2x times (circle). Do this 2-3 times and then jump 360 degree within the ladder and continue above... repeat all till the end of the ladder. Then shadow box 30 sec. Repeat all 3 times. Afterwards start with right feet in and do again.

Before that we do similar but different ladder training without 360 degree jumps, shadowboxing etc.

I hate that...

...the most.

Last edited:

What do you do?

Cover?
Clinch?
Back pedal?
Shuffle away?
Trade blows?

Clinch.

So anything that diaz does is now called stockton something, cool. <[analyzed}>

Back