Head Kick defense - Close to the head, with both hands or single hands?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
It seems to me that some people teach differently, as usually is the case when it comes to striking arts, but i'm just wondering what would be the best way to defend head kicks

a) single hand by bring the hand up to the back of the head
b) single hand by bring the hand up to the back of the head and with the other arm in downward motion
c) both arms but further away from the head, as if to meet the kick before it comes close to the head - from what i've seen in kyokushin i think this LOOKS like what they do, but i am not a practitioner
d) both arms but turning to face the kick while taking a step away from the kick - Cung Le's youtube video
e) " You don't know shit, this is the best way"

At the end of the day, it looks like in kickboxing, you keep the head and hands close, to the back of the head with the one hand, the other hand supporting, but you see people getting knocked down through the guard, so it looks like it might be wiser to block it further away from what i think i've seen in kyokushin matches, but then again, if you try to meet it early then you might get knocked out too if it comes over the top.....

It depends on the martial art style you practice but most importantly the types of conditioning you actually do.

The quickest way to defend is body structural movement meaning just a simple step to the side or to the rear then forward pressure throwing them off balance using a choice of technique in favor depending on the type of kick/ing experienced.

For example a side or round house kick just ..........trap the leg

It depends on the martial art style you practice but most importantly the types of conditioning you actually do.

The quickest way to defend is body structural movement meaning just a simple step to the side or to the rear then forward pressure throwing them off balance using a choice of technique in favor depending on the type of kick/ing experienced.

For example a side or round house kick just ..........trap the leg

I like that guy. Anderson's book says you can get out or get under too, but i rarely see people ducking under the head kicks, unless it's spinning kick

I like that guy. Anderson's book says you can get out or get under too, but i rarely see people ducking under the head kicks, unless it's spinning kick

No doubt the topic starts to get more complicated.

Especially when you start talking about range and countering and bridging the gap.

But you gota start somewhere so you master that then the next step and the next until you have a good base of skill and knowledge.

Its also about exposing the weak points the pros and cons.

With Spinning kicks oooh its touchy subject but you see them expose the lumbar area and the weighted leg where you can throw a low kick to the rear of the knee.

But again its progressive study bit by bit fun learning though!

More fun learning in the low ranks than actually being at a high rank where its all second nature by then.

1) Lean Back.

2) One hand to the head, second hand as support.

Trying to block it farther away have several problems in my opinion.
-Can get bypassed if the angle is not just right.
-A power kick can still blast your arm back and hit your own face.
-Easier to damage your arm.

Duck under is completely stupid.

It seems to me that some people teach differently, as usually is the case when it comes to striking arts, but i'm just wondering what would be the best way to defend head kicks

a) single hand by bring the hand up to the back of the head
b) single hand by bring the hand up to the back of the head and with the other arm in downward motion
c) both arms but further away from the head, as if to meet the kick before it comes close to the head - from what i've seen in kyokushin i think this LOOKS like what they do, but i am not a practitioner
d) both arms but turning to face the kick while taking a step away from the kick - Cung Le's youtube video
e) " You don't know shit, this is the best way"

At the end of the day, it looks like in kickboxing, you keep the head and hands close, to the back of the head with the one hand, the other hand supporting, but you see people getting knocked down through the guard, so it looks like it might be wiser to block it further away from what i think i've seen in kyokushin matches, but then again, if you try to meet it early then you might get knocked out too if it comes over the top.....

The pic I used to use to describe what I do seems to have disappeared from the internet but I block with a tight guard with the hand wrapping around the side/back of my head on the incoming side and use the palm of the other hand to "catch" the shin. In theory, you're spreading the damage along your bicep, forearm and palm of the opposite hand.

It does leave you open on the other side but someone would have to be quick or really fake you out to take advantage.

Or just lean back and fade it if you're a Thai or someone quick haha.

The pic I used to use to describe what I do seems to have disappeared from the internet but I block with a tight guard with the hand wrapping around the side/back of my head on the incoming side and use the palm of the other hand to "catch" the shin. In theory, you're spreading the damage along your bicep, forearm and palm of the opposite hand.

It does leave you open on the other side but someone would have to be quick or really fake you out to take advantage.

Or just lean back and fade it if you're a Thai or someone quick haha.

Fedor's book describes it at an angle, so it would slide over, but it looks like in kickboxing, that's the usual what you do. I think. I don't think i see a lot of elbow pointing out when they block it.

1) Lean Back.

2) One hand to the head, second hand as support.

Trying to block it farther away have several problems in my opinion.
-Can get bypassed if the angle is not just right.
-A power kick can still blast your arm back and hit your own face.
-Easier to damage your arm.

Duck under is completely stupid.
Why is a duck under stupid? It's completely avoiding the kick.

Why is a duck under stupid? It's completely avoiding the kick.

Because not many people have the timing and ability to pull it off. Fading back and leaning away from an incoming high kick is one thing...you're pulling away from the incoming power. Ducking under is a whole other thing completely.

This is fading back on a high kick:

step-back-kick.gif

Give examples of people in MMA or MT ducking under.

Because not many people have the timing and ability to pull it off. Fading back and leaning away from an incoming high kick is one thing...you're pulling away from the incoming power. Ducking under is a whole other thing completely.

step-back-kick.gif

A little off topic but the guy on the left saw the intent defended well, then counted well but then came short.

Why well like so many fighters its like stop hit stop hit when they should just ram them down.

After the kick should have followed by hooks the guy was off balance thinking how to recover, when boom boom gets hit by good combos until he goes down.

Anyway of course i didn't see the fight but I hope you get my point sometimes its disappointing when you see the opportunities and they don't take it.

Also if he had turned his hip a touch more and swooping up his right knee he would have swept him clean onto the canvas can you see that.

Nevertheless good moves on both fighters.

None of this is easy but practice make perfect.

step-back-kick.gif

To quote Anderson Silva direct,
When an opponent throws a round kick at your head, the choice method of defend is to either slip your head underneath his kick or quickly move out of range"

Wrap your hand around your head and tuck your elbow in to your body to brace the arm so it has less chance of breaking, bring your other hand across for support, almost in an x shape. Batten down the hatches and "pop' your weight forward into the kick so you've got good balance and position after taking the force. leaning back when blocking only gives the kick more momentum and power and will help the kick push you off balance. Thats the most common block knockouts you see, especially in mma.

A little off topic but the guy on the left saw the intent defended well, then counted well but then came short.

Why well like so many fighters its like stop hit stop hit when they should just ram them down.

After the kick should have followed by hooks the guy was off balance thinking how to recover, when boom boom gets hit by good combos until he goes down.

Anyway of course i didn't see the fight but I hope you get my point sometimes its disappointing when you see the opportunities and they don't take it.

Also if he had turned his hip a touch more and swooping up his right knee he would have swept him clean onto the canvas can you see that.

Nevertheless good moves on both fighters.

None of this is easy but practice make perfect.

To quote Anderson Silva direct,
When an opponent throws a round kick at your head, the choice method of defend is to either slip your head underneath his kick or quickly move out of range"

Then your opponent fakes the high kick and hits a flying knee into your prone face......... Anderson only pulled that against highly inferior strikers, MT usually doesn't have such loop sided fights at the high level.

i was taught to never duck a kick, and to always lean back. ducking is a no no for MT. but there have been times in sparring against taller guys where i get the oddball chance of ducking a head kick and feel the opportunity to duck it but decide not to just because thats "not what your supposed to do", so instead decide to take it on the hands. I feel like it would have been better to just duck it even though I didnt, seemed it would have worked out better. I would still be on the side of never duck a kick always lean back, but its ok to duck sometimes. pretty similar comparison could be made with head movement in MT, its a no, but it works sometimes.

i was taught to never duck a kick, and to always lean back. ducking is a no no for MT. but there have been times in sparring against taller guys where i get the oddball chance of ducking a head kick and feel the opportunity to duck it but decide not to just because thats "not what your supposed to do", so instead decide to take it on the hands. I feel like it would have been better to just duck it even though I didnt, seemed it would have worked out better. I would still be on the side of never duck a kick always lean back, but its ok to duck sometimes. pretty similar comparison could be made with head movement in MT, its a no, but it works sometimes.

You never know when you might meet someone with enough leg dexterity to show a high kick and change it to a mid/low one. Sort of like a reverse question mark kick haha.

Back