Head Kick defense - Close to the head, with both hands or single hands?

It goes against all my instincts. I fight tall, I cannot imagine my ducking been faster than a roundhouse. And getting hit in the head while bending your knees will certainly drop you, scoring a knock down for the opponent...

You never know when you might meet someone with enough leg dexterity to show a high kick and change it to a mid/low one. Sort of like a reverse question mark kick haha.

yeah im on board with not doing it, but there have been a few instances where I could have done it, i felt it and went for it, then i hesitated and 2nd guessed, where I went to duck but said wait dont do that your not supposed to, and then took it on the arms. When I think ducking would have been a better option

1) Lean Back.

2) One hand to the head, second hand as support.

Trying to block it farther away have several problems in my opinion.
-Can get bypassed if the angle is not just right.
-A power kick can still blast your arm back and hit your own face.
-Easier to damage your arm.

Duck under is completely stupid.
ducking strikes me as a great way to get domed.

You can potentially play around with positioning you lead hand, but in my opinion your rear hand should always be up. I personally see keeping your rear hand up and covering the open side (of your head) as akin to keeping your chin tucked; it's not going to stop a blow from hurting, but it is going to stop it from knocking you out so easily, and you should never not be doing it.

Primary defense for high kicks is leaning away from them, relying only on using blocking alone is simply not a sustainable strategy.

Last edited:
The guy in the cap can just about kick above the waistline......that's not a high kick.....:D
round-housekick1.jpg

A little off topic but the guy on the left saw the intent defended well, then counted well but then came short.

Why well like so many fighters its like stop hit stop hit when they should just ram them down.

That's Kem and Yodsaenklai, two of the best fighters in the world at that time. "Just ram them down" is not how it works in the top levels of the sport.

That guy legit matrixes people. And it ain't against Forrest Griffins.

Being an olympic gold medalist boxer helps.

Watch Saenchi.......... thats what I'm talking about, he just moves forward ........ confidence and character......

NO FEAR Just gets the job done and good entertainment;)

Back