Headache one day after sparring

MMAFanboy99

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know this doesn't have much to do with technique, but it is stand up. Last night I was doing some hard sparring, and that is something I haven't done in about four months. This was all after many rounds of grappling and wrestling, so my hands started to drop and technique with blocks got a little sloppy. I had leaned the wrong way with my hands low, and took a high kick flush to the mouth (I had headgear on like I always do when I spar even though others don't). After that round, my head obviously hurt a bit but I didn't feel like throwing up or any of the other symptoms, and continued into another round where I took some hard punches. Now today, my head still hurts a bit and obviously that took me to google and here. I don't have other symptoms like confusion, blurry vision or neck pain. The only things that I'm having problems with today are a bit of drowsiness and headache (drowsiness could honestly be from going to bed late and getting up early). Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to be concerned with taking a break from training or am I all set?

It could be different for you but I've had minor headaches after a day of hard sparring before and I'm not a vegetable or anything of the sorts I'd assume your fine and it'll go away as long as you take it easy .. and I guess also try to work your defense more.. because we've all been caught flush before trying to only work offense

It could be different for you but I've had minor headaches after a day of hard sparring before and I'm not a vegetable or anything of the sorts I'd assume your fine and it'll go away as long as you take it easy .. and I guess also try to work your defense more.. because we've all been caught flush before trying to only work offense
Thank you!

It’s a concussion.

Take a couple months off from sparring and do some defense drills. Make sure you rest your brain this week.
If symptoms persist for more than a week see a doctor.

I’d link you to the PCS (post concussion syndrome) thread but I’m too lazy

Btw something I have learned over the years is not to spar tired. You want to be fresh so you can adequately defend yourself at all times.

Plus when you do get hit you take shots worse when you are gassed.

Take it from a guy who used to do 1.5 hours bjj, 1 hour mitts, and then spar for an hour... I never do anything strenuous before sparring anymore.

Hope this is a joke. Its obviously a concussion and you need to take time off and if you continue to get concussed when you are sparring then you should stop it altogether.

Back