Headgear, how much power does it take off?

I believe it doesn't take any power away. To echo everyone else it makes the impact more shocking but the padding prevents wounds. I never bought headgear cause in fight night there is no headgear but i do ask my sparring partner to go 60%. I don't mind wounds since my blood clots up rather quickly luckily but a month before a fight i implement headgear into training camp just to make sure. Make of that what you will. I'm sure plenty of others agree.

I've been a on again off again headgear wearer and I'm going to convert to full time as of today.

The last two training sessions have been pretty rough on me. Got my bell rung by a very experienced southpaw lsat week, and today I ate a straight right from a middleweight that made me feel fuzzy all over.

When I wear headgear I feel like I lose visibility but it's worth it when I get hit hard. I've never been buzzed with it on, though I've eaten a good amount of shots.

Also, that super sore feeling on my forehead and eye scratches are starting to get old quick.

It's not really the impact itself that causes concussions, but the whiplash.

Keep in mind, the brain is already sitting inside a thick solid skull; you can't punch it 'directly'. Therefore, excepting massive bone-caving force, the primary mechanism of long term trauma is inertia; the skull jerking suddenly while the brain bounces around inside of it.

Hence, obviously we should all start wearing neckbraces in training.

This doesn’t have to be polar opposites. To say it has now effect to impact is impossible. If I rap my head in 12inchs of foam and then get hit with a bat, as opposed to no foam, I’m going to choose the foam. That’s why crash helmets work. However, that 3/4inch piece wrapped around your head won’t do much. The way I see it is that it’s like getting hit with 17oz gloves, 16oz in the glove and 1oz strapped to your head. You have to decided if the 1oz of protection and not getting cut is worth all the downsides.
Depends on what I’m doing at work and who I’m sparing as to if I use one. If it’s new guys, I find some tend to lead with their head so I will until I know them. And if it’s good guys in camp that are cutting weight, I’ll wear it if I think thinks might get “spirited”, otherwise I wont

You also have to take into consideration which manufacturers headgear you are wearing. There is a world of difference between a Winning and top ten headgear in terms of protection.

Does it feel akward punching headgear? Is the force "jammed" in anyway? I have never sparred against anyone with it

Back