Headgear to protect eyes

Jonathan Mohr

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for a headgear to prevent glove contact with my eyes, I have had my contact lense popped out by getting punched in the eye more than once. I was using Rival RHG10 D3O headgear when it happened, now thinking I should try a face saver or a more protective piece like the UMA R9 or similar.

Currently looking at UMA R9 and R 81, Pro Mex Facesaver, Venum Elite Iron Facesaver, Ring To Cage Japanese style or Facesaver, any suggestions? I would prefer the R9 if the padding would stop a glove contacting my eye, but fear the ony thing that will work is a facesaver. I've also had my nose shattered before in an accident, so a little extra protection there wouldn't hurt either.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
Not even facesavers will protect your eyes 100%. I use the FG5000 and my eyes still get touched by gloves.

Good luck.

Guess I'll just order one of these headgears and give it a try, use eye drops between rounds and bring extra contacts, sucks to stop for a dropped lens. I ordered the Fairtex HG4, and am sending it back, horrible fit, very loose and not contacting the cheeks at all, a recipe for disaster. Might work for someone else, but it couldn't be adjusted to fit my face, even though the head area was a correct fit.

Yeah. The R-9 might work? Or you can order custom and ask for extra padding?

I've seen people lose contacts a few times. The suggestion my coach has given out before is to try and get used to training without glasses or contacts at all. I think you're going to have problems with even the best headgear.

Obviously that's not great advice if you can't see 2" in front of our face without them, but the guys I know manage fine without.

Yeah that's the problem, I can't see 2" in front of me without them, should maybe consider laser/prk or w/e it's called.

try it.
s-l1600.jpg

But I think that only the impact will displace your lenses.

That's what my coach uses, I have been looking at them. I just ordered the Ring to Cage Japanese style headgear today, they have it on amazon right now for $34.95 and free shipping. For that price, if it doesn't work out I won't be devastated, it looks like a good 2900 clone.
Wow. That's a pretty good deal. I notice he's also selling some other gear at discount. Interesting...

Well, I pulled the trigger on a R2C Facesaver too, they have a Marine Green version on Amazon for $84.95 as well, seems like a good price, so what the hell, right? Might as well see which I like better, it costs the same for these 2 headgears as the Fairtex HG4 i'm returning, so I'll only lose my shipping charges to and from Title.

I love Fairtex but I would never wear their headgear. It has always looked like crap to me, Their facesaver is even worse looking.

Looks like the Fighting Sports facesaver.

yeah! Look like fighting, I don't if it is the same thing. The palladium has a kind of plastic structure on the sides.

Last edited:
Well, I pulled the trigger on a R2C Facesaver too, they have a Marine Green version on Amazon for $84.95 as well, seems like a good price, so what the hell, right? Might as well see which I like better, it costs the same for these 2 headgears as the Fairtex HG4 i'm returning, so I'll only lose my shipping charges to and from Title.

Good headgear! Unfortunately, 14oz or 12oz gloves are going to touch part of your face and of course it
make you lose your lenses.

Back