Gaming headsets

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I am not sure this goes here, but this is my audience, so here is where it goes for now.

Getting new headphones. My choices are Turtle Beach wireless 420 X+ at $129

Astro A40 TR M80-wired at $149

Turtle Beach XO Pro 7 wired at $129

Steel Series Arctis 5 at $99

Wireless vs wired does not matter to me in the sense that I want the freedom of wires. That just means I have to charge the wireless, but I am more concerned with the mic crapping out due to software issues.

I know asking brand of headphones is like asking vanilla or chocolate, and I am sure all of these sets are pretty good, or else they would not have made my list.

inb4 beats.

I'd go with steel series on your list. BUT if i'm going to burn money for headsets, I'd go with dedicated audio companies(bose, jbl, audio technica etc) for head sets.

I’ll be honest, I am not sure this goes here, but this is my audience, so here is where it goes for now.

Getting new headphones. My choices are Turtle Beach wireless 420 X+ at $129

Astro A40 TR M80-wired at $149

Turtle Beach XO Pro 7 wired at $129

Steel Series Arctis 5 at $99

Wireless vs wired does not matter to me in the sense that I want the freedom of wires. That just means I have to charge the wireless, but I am more concerned with the mic crapping out due to software issues.

I know asking brand of headphones is like asking vanilla or chocolate, and I am sure all of these sets are pretty good, or else they would not have made my list.

G933 logitech astros and turtle beaches are horse shit

HyperX headphones great for the money.

what do you suggest?
HyperX Cloud:

These are my headphones. They're fantastic. This is the #1 most used headset by professional gamers.

Last edited:
And for the record, I have never heard anyone call astros shit. I have had Hyper X cloud 2, which were very comfortable and had a nice solid cord that never tangled. They had leather and foam ear cups to change out. Very nice set, but the mic quit working. That may be because my cat knocked water on the mic, I don't know.

Astros are always very highly rated.

HyperX Cloud:

These are my headphones. They're fantastic. This is the #1 most used headset by professional gamers.

I liked mine, until the mic quit. The only headphones that I have had that were crap was the xbox one over the ear for $50, they were ranked with comparable TB and there were few options then

I am looking for something new. The afterglow ag 9 were in the mix until I learned it was rechargeable batteries

And for the record, I have never heard anyone call astros shit. I have had Hyper X cloud 2, which were very comfortable and had a nice solid cord that never tangled. They had leather and foam ear cups to change out. Very nice set, but the mic quit working. That may be because my cat knocked water on the mic, I don't know.

Astros are always very highly rated.
Ghost gets carried away. Astros are definitely not shit. Nor are some of Logitech's and Turtle Beach's best offerings although those hide behind a mountain of shit.

As far as headphones, though, there's very little to be gained by spending above the $78 for those HyperX Clouds. They provide enthusiast-level audio quality. The fact that they come with earcups you can swap for a pure closed or more semi-open soundstage is just the tits (because everyone has a preference here, and neither side's preference can be dismissed as having no merit). I personally strongly prefer open soundstages, but most gamers prefer the more isolated feeling of the closed cups.

The detachable mic is fantastic. Let's you keep it out of the way when all you're doing is surfing the web, watching TV, or listening to music. The volume control box on the headphone cord is definitely a plus. You don't have to use it, either. If you are willing to tolerate a very short cord you can omit that extension cable from the headphone's setup.

I liked mine, until the mic quit. The only headphones that I have had that were crap was the xbox one over the ear for $50, they were ranked with comparable TB and there were few options then
Gotcha. Well, of your options, I would probably opt for the Steelseries Arctis 5, although I recall the XO 7's getting plenty of acclaim from reviewers. The wireless Steelseries Arctis 7@$150 also look like they might be a great headset, but if you don't care about hands-free, then wireless can't compete with wired in terms of audio fidelity.

Only a fool would get something other than sennheiser

I use Sennheiser HD 598's and a 10$ clip mic.

I also use them for my ipod.

Buying "Gaming" headsets is pretty dumb in my opinion, the sound quality is usually less than stellar and you over pay for the "GAYMING" branding.

beat me to it.

I would have recommended logitech too since they've been a solid brand for me experience wise but I've never used their gaming headsets.

they are great they are the safty net of purchases. id really look into those 2 models

Yeah, he could grab the Sennheiser Game Zero ($167) and the PCV05 Combo Adapter ($15) for the Xbox One controller. Sennheiser is God. I'm glad they get the respect they do these days. Still, if he goes the route where he buys a pair of audiophile headphones, then adds the mixamp and a modmic (ex. V-Moda BOOM Mic Pro), he has an ocean of new products to consider, not just Sennheiser. I think most of the best closed-back headphones under $150 are made by other boutique companies. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50X ($135) are still the darling of the audiophile world. Meanwhile, the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X ($103) and Philips X2 Fidelio ($290) have seemed to have gained legendary status in the gamer's audiophile modding communities for the size of their sound stages. Modding either the ATH-M50X, the ATH-AD700X, or the ATH-AD500X ($79) is far cheaper with Audio Technica than getting the $300 ATH-AG1X headset.

Here's a video that is a few years old with Lewis of UnboxTherapy (the famous and highly respected tech video blogger who broke "Bendgate" with the iPhone) taking the Sennheiser Game Zero for a spin:

Last edited:
I have the Sennheiser game ones. Very comfortable, sound good, very nice open soundstage. Great positional audio for VR too.
Not tried the Zeros, but I imagine they're good as well. I just much prefer open backed cans for home use.

Back