"Heavybag" vid

Sano

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Was working out today and decided to record a bagwork round. Nothing spectacular, this session I tried to work more kicks in and bouncing around more. Channeling that youth Karate. This was my 6-7 round so I was gassing hard which is why I needed a breather.

Lots to work on as always, I am getting back into it and doing a lot more drills now. Any comments and critique is appreciated as always.

Was working out today and decided to record a bagwork round. Nothing spectacular, this session I tried to work more kicks in and bouncing around more. Channeling that youth Karate. This was my 6-7 round so I was gassing hard which is why I needed a breather.

Lots to work on as always, I am getting back into it and doing a lot more drills now. Any comments and critique is appreciated as always.

It was too, long, needs to be 3 seconds at a time otherwise I Iose attention.........maybe edit it into lots of 3 second vids on each individual strike to the bag.

Also I hate to say it but what is that fucking bag doing hanging from something!!!! Don't you have a table and pillows to put it on!!!! No one is going to take you serious unless you sort that shit out....

I’d like to see you wear gloves unless you are preparing for teh streets. Maybe a little more traditional combos like 1-2-9 2-3-10. 1-2-3-10 etc.

Movement is looking a lot more fluid and less think-y

It was too, long, needs to be 3 seconds at a time otherwise I Iose attention.........maybe edit it into lots of 3 second vids on each individual strike to the bag.

Also I hate to say it but what is that fucking bag doing hanging from something!!!! Don't you have a table and pillows to put it on!!!! No one is going to take you serious unless you sort that shit out....
It is pretty long though

I’d like to see you wear gloves unless you are preparing for teh streets. Maybe a little more traditional combos like 1-2-9 2-3-10. 1-2-3-10 etc.

What is 9 and 10?

Yeah I just don't have any gloves atm, threw my old ones out as they were coming apart. Luckely the bag is pretty soft and small so on that one it's not a problem. I train at another gym with a ring and a lot of BIG heavybags and they have gloves there so I just use them. I'll be getting some money from next month as I just finished my bachelors so I'll buy some new stuff.

What is 9 and 10?

Yeah I just don't have any gloves atm, threw my old ones out as they were coming apart. Luckely the bag is pretty soft and small so on that one it's not a problem. I train at another gym with a ring and a lot of BIG heavybags and they have gloves there so I just use them. I'll be getting some money from next month as I just finished my bachelors so I'll buy some new stuff.
Nice.. gloves are a must!!!!
9 for me is the left round kick and 10 is the right round kick.

Nice.. gloves are a must!!!!
9 for me is the left round kick and 10 is the right round kick.
I see! Yeah 1-2-3-10 is a classic, but 1-2-9-2-3-10 sounds nice! I like the lead kick after the right hand. There's a natural flow to it and you can pull back after the right hand away from punches while setting up the kick.

Thanks, I'll try it out!

regarding your knee, instead of typing a long story, thats difficult to explain. This vid does a great job. You use your hip in the knee, but its all one smooth fluid movement. Dont break it into 2 motions. You may already be aware of this, as that double motion knee, at a slight downwards angle, can be used to create distance in the clinch.

regarding your knee, instead of typing a long story, thats difficult to explain. This vid does a great job. You use your hip in the knee, but its all one smooth fluid movement. Dont break it into 2 motions. You may already be aware of this, as that double motion knee, at a slight downwards angle, can be used to create distance in the clinch.

Ah, I see. I was always told I needed to drive through with the hip more so I guess I'm exaggerating it. It's looks like it's one fluid motion and the trajectory seems a little more curved. Is the trajectory dependent on whether you are targeting the solar plexus or the liver/ribs?

Ah, I see. I was always told I needed to drive through with the hip more so I guess I'm exaggerating it. It's looks like it's one fluid motion and the trajectory seems a little more curved. Is the trajectory dependent on whether you are targeting the solar plexus or the liver/ribs?

no worries dude, most of us in the US, including myself, were taught exactly how you are doing it. I used to do it the same way. Somewhere along the lines, the use of the hip got confused, and broken into 2 motions.

Think of it as a punch, just like in the video. when you punch, its 2 motions, your throw and you rotate your arm, but its all done in one motion when you throw it. You dont throw, then rotate. 2 moves in 1 motion.

Do exactly as your doing, in one complete motion. Still use your hip and drive through and all, just make it one smooth fluid motion rather than 2. For the straight knee, the angle of attack is up and out, rather than up, like many people do. Think of the angle a plane is at when it takes off. This is the angle your knee should be coming out at kinda.

Theres always more than 1 way to do things. Mark Delagrotte says on the toes for the knee. I know people that do and teach it flat footed as well. Whatever works best for you.

Now I am thinking maybe I should make a video on the knee. Its pretty hard to show the right way just by typing.

straight knee vs round knee, the angle of attack is different, you still use the hip, but its all one motion for both.

Cute video.

- use gloves.
- nice footwork.
- step off the centerline before doing the spinning elbow.
- nice handspeed.
- lets meet up in Sweden.

<WellThere>

no worries dude, most of us in the US, including myself, were taught exactly how you are doing it. I used to do it the same way. Somewhere along the lines, the use of the hip got confused, and broken into 2 motions.

Think of it as a punch, just like in the video. when you punch, its 2 motions, your throw and you rotate your arm, but its all done in one motion when you throw it. You dont throw, then rotate. 2 moves in 1 motion.

Do exactly as your doing, in one complete motion. Still use your hip and drive through and all, just make it one smooth fluid motion rather than 2. For the straight knee, the angle of attack is up and out, rather than up, like many people do. Think of the angle a plane is at when it takes off. This is the angle your knee should be coming out at kinda.

Theres always more than 1 way to do things. Mark Delagrotte says on the toes for the knee. I know people that do and teach it flat footed as well. Whatever works best for you.

Now I am thinking maybe I should make a video on the knee. Its pretty hard to show the right way just by typing.

straight knee vs round knee, the angle of attack is different, you still use the hip, but its all one motion for both.
Yeah it makes sense. If you make a vid about it I'll check it out for sure. Thanks for the feedback! I'll work on it!

Cute video.

- use gloves.
- nice footwork.
- step off the centerline before doing the spinning elbow.
- nice handspeed.
- lets meet up in Sweden.

<WellThere>
So concise you are! Yeah I need to step a little more off center before the spinning elbow. Trying to mix it in with the slip. Thanks!

Ahh, the fabled meetup. We'll see, life is keeping me busy but it would be fun to train.

Your making me hungry, it sounds like what I would order for take out from the Chinese.......

Sorry I got distracted by the chick doing weights at 6:40ish onwards, I have to disagree on the secret Thai shin guards......short shin, yes your front muscle will engage that high on your shin.......long shin bone not so much and not high enough up the shin ..........if someone kicks you with force the idea is to block at the point closes to the knee joint, of the shin there is no muscle there. There are also less nerves there and the bone is very strong and thick, bone density is usually higher as you get closer to the joint.

The little bit of muscle covering your shin will do little to stop the force and will just damage it......

There's no right or wrong way to do it. Usually you find you have two or three type of knee depending.

Singdam does my favourite 'basic' knee, notice how he doesn't lean back either like a lot of western coaches advice.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/different-kinds-of-muay-thai-knees.3273689/ < remember this thread :D

Sorry I got distracted by the chick doing weights at 6:40ish onwards, I have to disagree on the secret Thai shin guards......short shin, yes your front muscle will engage that high on your shin.......long shin bone not so much and not high enough up the shin ..........if someone kicks you with force the idea is to block at the point closes to the knee joint, of the shin there is no muscle there. There are also less nerves there and the bone is very strong and thick, bone density is usually higher as you get closer to the joint.

The little bit of muscle covering your shin will do little to stop the force and will just damage it......

yeah i dont pay much attention to something very minor like that. While fighting I just shincheck. I was always taught to point my foot. Then later on got into the debate of foot up or down. I dont think it makes much a difference. When your fighting its hard enough to check in time, let alone worry about which way your foot is pointed.

There's no right or wrong way to do it. Usually you find you have two or three type of knee depending.

Singdam does my favourite 'basic' knee, notice how he doesn't lean back either like a lot of western coaches advice.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/different-kinds-of-muay-thai-knees.3273689/ < remember this thread :D

hes (sano) not throwing his knee from the ground. Hes raising his thigh and pushing his hip fwd. Kinda in a motion like this arrow.

74424_147_m5-1_s_lg.gif

Rather than a trajectory like this.

arrow_up_right.png

@AndyMaBobs @Sano

check this one out too guys. I find this knee is really powerfull for the switch knee. Still all one motion though.

There's many different ways to throw knees, the trajectory and other things will change depending on what you're aiming for and how your opponent is defending.

Lamnammoon Sor Sumalee demonstrates several variations in this seminar clip. Knees can go straight down the middle, curve into the sides, or go right into the floating ribs. The one to the ribs was my favourite, I had a wrestling background so I'd often tie up in an over/under in the clinch, on the side that I had the underhook the opponent's ribs would be open for knees.

Back