"Heavybag" vid

There's many different ways to throw knees, the trajectory and other things will change depending on what you're aiming for and how your opponent is defending.

Lamnammoon Sor Sumalee demonstrates several variations in this seminar clip. Knees can go straight down the middle, curve into the sides, or go right into the floating ribs. The one to the ribs was my favourite, I had a wrestling background so I'd often tie up in an over/under in the clinch, on the side that I had the underhook the opponent's ribs would be open for knees.

Nice. Seems like he is showing one variation here that is up and out (in close range). I'll work on the different variations, although that is tricky for some of them on the bag.

You can definitely throw a knee in two discrete motions, where you lift the leg up and then push the hip forward.
It tends to be a technique which is used more in the tie up than in the open.

But you also see some of that two part motion used in some jump knee variations.

Last edited:
@shincheckin nice vid on Kru Mark DellaGrotte - thats where my muay thai "lineage" is from.
Also whoever likened the knee's trajectory as a "plane taking off" , awesome example.

@shincheckin nice vid on Kru Mark DellaGrotte - thats where my muay thai "lineage" is from.
Also whoever likened the knee's trajectory as a "plane taking off" , awesome example.

yeah i really like his analogy of punching and then twisting at the end. Plane taking off was my idea, i use it quite a bit, I believe its 45 degrees? whatever degree it is, thats the angle you want, plane take off.

You can definitely throw a knee in two discrete motions, where you lift the leg up and then push the hip forward.
It tends to be a technique which is used more in the tie up than in the open.

But you also see some of that two part motion used in some jump knee variations.

good find, thats exactly what I was talking about with the 2 motions, there is a knee that does that, as show in the example you posted, its pretty powerfull as well, but other than that, you should be throwing your knee straight from the ground.

Knees are a bit too upright, make them more "in", like a SWAT battling ram busting a door down.

Headmovement should have a purpose, don't do it just because, otherwise its wasted energy. If you're visualizing an opponent throwing and you're reacting to that, its good then.

I have this feeling on your (rear) horizontal elbows, that you're a bit too forward, if the bag wasn't there, you'd be off balanced

Good flow though

That bag btw looks like it was made for manlets

looks like your punching has improved a fair bit. your still throwing them clean and straight, but you seem to be committing to them more and getting more impact on them. how are they feeling, i can imagine they feel a good deal harder?

looks like your punching has improved a fair bit. your still throwing them clean and straight, but you seem to be committing to them more and getting more impact on them. how are they feeling, i can imagine they feel a good deal harder?
Thanks! I've been working a little on my hip turn with various drills and exercises so I guess that it's starting to show more. A lot of it is also just putting more into it instead holding back because of my neck injury, which I am paying for now ouch. Feels a little harder but I still have some slight reserve left.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback guys!

Off balance when kicking. Generate force from your back leg and drive your hip in in one motion, then land on your back leg again. Land in a squared stanc so that you are able to repeat the motion.

Drill those combinations more instead of single shots continuously. And lead them with the right hand.
------------------ edit-----------------------
Off balance when kicking.

Drill those combinations more and keep them simple.

You are either boxing or kicking, never both.

Your punches tend do be short. Extends the arms more.

Too much weight on the front foot.

Last edited:
Off balance when kicking. Generate force from your back leg and drive your hip in in one motion, then land on your back leg again. Land in a squared stanc so that you are able to repeat the motion.

Drill those combinations more instead of single shots continuously. And lead them with the right hand.

lets see a video of you doing the advice given ;)

Back