Hellblade.

More footage from IGN. Notice the constant chattering of voices. Sounds intense.

Final Dev Diary: 29: The Final Push.

Game comes out tomorrow. Pre-load available on both PS4 and PC.

Development process has been incredibly interesting to watch over the years. Ninja Theory took a huge risk on showing the process, which the vast majority of developers are afraid to show for obvious reasons. Glad they were transparent, it's been informative.

Final Dev Diary: 29: The Final Push.

Game comes out tomorrow. Pre-load available on both PS4 and PC.

Development process has been incredibly interesting to watch over the years. Ninja Theory took a huge risk on showing the process, which the vast majority of developers are afraid to show for obvious reasons. Glad they were transparent, it's been informative.

Awesome. I'll probably check out a few streams before buying to see the gameplay.

Nice I still have too beat persona and only have way done. After that I'll be taking a break from gaming. This might be the game I come back to though if it seems good.

Fosho got the game. Can't wait to play later today.

Been following this game for a long time and one of the main criticisms of Ninja Theory in general is that their games are too easy. With this "story" you'll have one side saying the game is too easy and the combat too basic, and the other side saying "permadeath, I'm not buying it!" I doubt many people are going to experience the permadeath, but it's something to complain about nonetheless. A game can't be released without gamers complaining about something.

Never saw this before but did remote download from work because it looks sick. Got excited to get home and play.

Got home and found it didn't install because I needed a system update.

View media item 27077

I did read that the game delete if you die too much is overhyped and you really have to suck for that to happen though.

Reviews:

PCGamer - 78
http://www.pcgamer.com/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-review/
Hellblade, in fact, is just as much about solving puzzles with focus as murdering Nordic hellspawn, with many of them involving finding the shapes of Viking runes in the chance alignment of random objects or standing at the proper spots to dispel illusions. These are my favorite parts of the game, being neither too hard or too easy. Even better, Hellblade never lets these elements grow stale. Sometimes, to take an example, it will throw a curveball and make you discover the runes while running from an unbeatable flaming monstrosity that stalks Senua, Balrog-style, through a ruined mead hall. The problem? There's little room for exploration. Hellblade isn't exactly a Final Fantasy XIII-style corridor, but neither is it far off.

"She needs to remember the way back," the voices say at one point. C'mon, it's not like it's that hard.

Perhaps, of course, they weren't talking about the mini-maze. As Dillion himself tells Senua in happier times, "The hardest battles are fought in the mind, not with the sword." Senua, though, fights both types of battles at once. She fights them to return to the only sense of happiness she knew. Other games have focused on such themes, sure, but few have delivered the truth of that message with such conviction.

Push Square - 8/10
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/hellblade_senuas_sacrifice
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is not going to appeal to all tastes, and nor does it try to. As a character action game, it has decent if underdeveloped combat and a mixture of some excellent and some overplayed puzzles. But it’s the way that the title utilises the unique attributes of the medium to raise awareness of mental health that elevate this release beyond the sum of its parts.

Gamespot - 8/10
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-review/1900-6416724/
Over the course of its journey, Hellblade keeps its gameplay lean in order to not overstay its welcome. Despite the complexity of the narrative and its presentation, combat only happens when it needs to, and puzzle solving and set-piece moments often drive the story forward to reveal more about Senua's motivations. Which in turn reveals the struggles that torment her, preventing her from moving on.

Hellblade's most notable achievement is the handling of an incredibly sensitive subject matter within an engaging and well-crafted action/adventure game. At its heart, the story is about Senua's struggle to come to terms with her illness. In the process, she learns to find the strength within herself to endure, and to make peace with her past. And in a profound and physical way, we go through those same struggles with her, and come away with a better understanding of a piece of something that many people in the world struggle with.

IGN - 9/10
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/08/08/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-review
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a masterclass of atmosphere, storytelling, and the marriage of mechanical and conceptual design. While there are moments that feel shoehorned in to remind us we’re playing a videogame, the care and attention Ninja Theory has clearly poured into Senua and her story has created something amazing. This is a game everyone should play, and I’m thankful for the opportunity to have lived inside the mind of Senua, however briefly.

I did read that the game delete if you die too much is overhyped and you really have to suck for that to happen though.

This is what I suspected. Plus the game is only supposed to be like 6-8 hours. Not like your going to have to start over some huge 20 hour long game.

Played for an hour this morning. If you have halfway decent headphones you NEED to play with those on. They recorded the audio using that crazy binaural shit that makes it sound like people are right next to you, and you can hear all the voices in Senua's head.

Game looks incredible too. Combat is very bare bones and puzzles are kinda interesting. I think I'm really gonna enjoy this one.

Last edited:
Played for an hour this morning. If you have halfway decent headphones you NEED to play with those on. They recorded the audio using that crazy binaural shit that makes it sound like people are right next to you, and you can hear all the voices in Senua's head.

Game looks incredible too. Combat is very bare bones and puzzles are kinda interesting. I think I'm really gonna enjoy this one.

Nice looks like I can put my surround sound to the test.

Anyone know how many times you have to die for the rot to take over? I died once during the first boss and I'm paranoid now.

I heard the permadeath thing was bullshit and the game doesn't delete your save file

Just finished it - holy fuck that was incredible. It's amazing how such a small team made this, and for only $30. I would have happily paid $60 for it.

Just finished it - holy fuck that was incredible. It's amazing how such a small team made this, and for only $30. I would have happily paid $60 for it.

Nice. How long did it take you?

Back