Help me help you (ISSN diploma student).

MandirigmaFit

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
As some of you know, I am a strength & conditioning coach/manual therapist that works with combat sports athletes. I'm no longer doing manual therapy and moving away from coaching all demographics to focus mainly on sports with weight categories. I am also a competitive BJJ athlete, although I am just a blue belt.

I'm finishing my degree in Exercise/Sports Science and using my VA benefits for graduate school for Exercise Physiology and Nutrition. In addition to my collegiate studies, I am an ISSN Diploma student, a post-graduate program in "Sport and Exercise Nutrition".

Feel free to ask any questions on performance nutrition (in general) or strength and conditioning (combat sports) here.

(Let's keep this within the context of performance and not disease)

Hi,

1. What supplements do you use or recommend and what supplements do you consider worthless?

2. Some people recommend a keto diet for BBJ athletes because they said it would reduce the inflammation due to grappling and wrestling. What do you think?

Thanks and good luck,

What is your recommendation for strength training and boxing. For example I do weight training 3 times a week- entire body workouts. On the days between I do boxing training- heavy bag, double end bag, shadow boxing. sprints on rowing machine- but at the end I try to get in pushups/burpees/pullups/situps.

In short- should I ditch the pushups/burpees/pullups since I am doing strength training on the other days? Or how you you edit what I am doing?

Hi,

1. What supplements do you use or recommend and what supplements do you consider worthless?

2. Some people recommend a keto diet for BBJ athletes because they said it would reduce the inflammation due to grappling and wrestling. What do you think?

Thanks and good luck,

1. At the moment, I use creatine monohydrate daily. On days that I'm pressed for time, I'll take a scoop of whey protein. After doing some market research, I will be adding in beta-alanine and during competition season I might add sodium bicarbonate.

2. A keto diet can work for most athletes (especially recreational athletes since they are highly competitive). Will it help them with competitions? I think it will hurt performance moreso than help. Skill is more important for a grappling sports. Especially with relatively short rounds and competitions. As far as inflammation, I'm not sold that keto is any better than eating a well-balanced diet of whole grains, meats, vegetables and fruits.

What is your recommendation for strength training and boxing. For example I do weight training 3 times a week- entire body workouts. On the days between I do boxing training- heavy bag, double end bag, shadow boxing. sprints on rowing machine- but at the end I try to get in pushups/burpees/pullups/situps.

In short- should I ditch the pushups/burpees/pullups since I am doing strength training on the other days? Or how you you edit what I am doing?

Are you planning on competing or is this exclusively for exercise and fitness?

Just curious, why sodium bicarbonate and how much?

This is my maintenance workout but plan to compete in the next 6 months hopefully.

I would take out the extra work at the end (push-ups, burpees, etc.). If you really enjoy doing those movements, then I would restructure your weight training days to include them. Depending on what block you're in, then you might remove them completely or reduce the volume and have them incorporated in the warm-up.

Just curious, why sodium bicarbonate and how much?

NaHCO3 is an extracellular (outside of the muscle cell) buffering agent. It helps combat pH levels that become too acidic, which is proposed to be one of the many causes of fatigue during high intensity exercise.

Most literature will point to 0.3g/kg/bw/d, but you have to watch out for the side-effects.

Back