Help me plan a cross-country road trip!

45ACP

I'll Be Back Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This is super exciting. As some of you may know, I'll be moving across the country, from Pennsylvania to Portland, OR early this summer. I'll be driving, and my plan is to take 2 -3 weeks to make the trip, camping, sightseeing, etc along the way. I'm in the process of purchasing a vehicle for the drive that I can sleep in as needed (leaning towards a full size pick up with a camper shell). I'll be traveling with my dog, who is starting to show his age (he's almost 12) but is still in good spirits and healthy enough to make the trip.

The only 3 stops I have on my list so far are possibly a stop in Kentucky to visit my cousin and her family, a stop in Colorado to visit my brother, and a stop at the grand canyon (which I've never been to).

So where would you stop if you were traveling across the country sherbros? I enjoy live music and dive bars, skateboarding, camping, hiking and art/design. Also just really enjoy meeting people in different walks of life.

Also, anyone with road trip experience feel free to chime in with general tips and suggestions. I've traveled enough myself to feel pretty confident about planning and dealing with unexpected situations on the fly, but there's always more to learn.

Lastly, if any of you guys wanna open up your couch to a fellow sherbro and his pup for a night let me know. It'd be cool to meet some of you folks along the way.

You should definitely drive along the Columbia River Highway before finally arriving in Portland. That area is spectacular.

Also, if you're gonna be in the Grand Canyon area, check out Zion National Park in southern Utah

OOOOH! I did it twice!

Started in the mid Atlantic. Drove all the way to British Colombia. Down to L.A. all the way through Texas and back to my sweet home Virginia.

Ask me anything. It depends on what you are in to.

You should definitely drive along the Columbia River Highway

I've been there! (I've spent quite a bit of time in Oregon, fell in love with the PNW the first time I visited over a decade ago and have been back several times since)

You're right, it's spectacular.

Thanks for the other suggestion I'll definitely look into it!

Do a little food tour, too. Chicago is a great food city. Texas bbq. Kansas City beef.

OOOOH! I did it twice!

Started in the mid Atlantic. Drove all the way to British Colombia. Down to L.A. all the way through Texas and back to my sweet home Virginia.

Ask me anything. It depends on what you are in to.

That sounds amazing dude.

I listed my main interests in the OP, but am pretty much open to anything that sounds interesting. I'm an action sport enthusiast, adrenaline junkie, graphic designer/illustrator, hiker/camper, martial artist, dive bar and live music enthusiast and generally into atypical / non-traditional forms of entertainment. Even stupid shit.

For example, the last road trip I took was from PA to CO and two of my stops were the largest truck stop (somewhere in Iowa) and the smallest walmart (Gunnison, CO) in north america.

Last edited:
That sounds amazing dude.

I listed my main interests in the OP, but am pretty much open to anything that sounds interesting. I'm an action sport enthusiast, adrenaline junkie, graphic designer/illustrator, hiker/camper, martial artist, dive bar and live music enthusiast and generally into atypical / non-traditional forms of entertainment. Even stupid shit.

For example, the last road trip I took was from PA to CO and two of my stops were the largest truck stop (somewhere in Iowa) and the smallest walmart (Gunnison, CO) in north america.
We are similar people. I did the hippie band tour concert thing while hitting most of the major national parks. I recommend that highly. The dive bars and local folk all around were one of my favorite aspects.

I advise you to take your sweet time. My buddies and I took a little more than a month each time to go there and back again.

damnb imagine planning a trip u dont even get to go on

Save a large chunk of your trip for Colorado

My euro buddies and I once drove through the state on our way to work a voiceover gig in Cali and we never stopped beating ourselves up about not having enough time to pull over and get out in places all over that State

Sounds like a whole lot of fun! In my 20's, I packed up my little Mazda 626 and headed west out from Houston to Las Vegas. Broke down in El Paso and ended up living there a few years.

Life's an adventure. Take your time and don't plan a driving schedule....that seems to ruin the fun. It might end up being the time of your life...enjoy it!

Save a large chunk of your trip for Colorado

My euro buddies and I once drove through the state on our way to work a voiceover gig in Cali and we never stopped beating ourselves up about not having enough time to pull over and get out in places all over that State

I’ve been through CO before and you’re right. That’s actually the other state I considered moving to along with OR. Denver is one of my favorite cities in the US and the whole state has a ton to offer as far as the kinda stuff I’m into. (I also like to smoke a lot of weed lol)

My brother lives in Crested Butte which was the final destination before heading back home on my last major road trip. This upcoming one is on a totally different scale than anything I’ve done so far though.

I’ve been through CO before and you’re right. That’s actually the other state I considered moving to along with OR. Denver is one of my favorite cities in the US and the whole state has a ton to offer as far as the kinda stuff I’m into. (I also like to smoke a lot of weed lol)

My brother lives in Crested Butte which was the final destination before heading back home on my last major road trip. This upcoming one is on a totally different scale than anything I’ve done so far though.

Boulder and Woody Creek were the drive throughs for us, loved it

We stayed away from Hunter S Thompson's place because we heard it bummed out the locals and wanted to honor the mate

Wish we could have hunted in the area though, that'd be worth the return

Sounds like a whole lot of fun! In my 20's, I packed up my little Mazda 626 and headed west out from Houston to Las Vegas. Broke down in El Paso and ended up living there a few years.

Life's an adventure. Take your time and don't plan a driving schedule....that seems to ruin the fun. It might end up being the time of your life...enjoy it!

Good advice! I know how a ridged schedule can make things much less enjoyable and aside from a few definite stops my plans is to just kind of follow my heart and go with the flow.

There’s a small possibility I may not even make it to Portland. If I happen to stop somewhere awesome and meet some amazing people, a cool chick, the perfect house for sale, etc. who knows.

I’ve seen a lot of cool shit and traveled a decent amount but this is probably my biggest adventure and I plan on savoring it.

Good advice! I know how a ridged schedule can make things much less enjoyable and aside from a few definite stops my plans is to just kind of follow my heart and go with the flow.

There’s a small possibility I may not even make it to Portland. If I happen to stop somewhere awesome and meet some amazing people, a cool chick, the perfect house for sale, etc. who knows.

I’ve seen a lot of cool shit and traveled a decent amount but this is probably my biggest adventure and I plan on savoring it.
That's too cool, and consider me jealous. I drove trucks all over the US for many years, and have run your route a few times, but its a job and you never have enough time to really enjoy the nice places and people that you meet along the way.

That's too cool, and consider me jealous. I drove trucks all over the US for many years, and have run your route a few times, but its a job and you never have enough time to really enjoy the nice places and people that you meet along the way.

Wow I’ve always thought the life of a trucker must be an interesting one. Mack / Volvo are two of our biggest clients at work so I might be a bit less ignorant than the average non-trucker about the lifestyle.

Did you ever stop at the biggest truck stop in the world in Iowa? Lol

Unless you plan on hiking down into the Grand Canyon, personally I'd pass. I've been 3 times and there was too much haze to enjoy the view. But, apparently it's magnificent if you luck out with the perfect day.

Wow I’ve always thought the life of a trucker must be an interesting one.

Did you ever stop at the biggest truck stop in the world in Iowa? Lol
Iowa 80....for sure. You could always find a parking spot there...it's huge! Trucking is what you make of it. I started at 30 and looked more like a college student than a trucker, so I would wander off from the truck stops and assimilate with the locals in whatever town I was in. It was definitely interesting, but you always have to keep moving on. Sometimes you find a nice place, and maybe a nice woman, and you just want to stay a little longer. ;)

From PA to OR, you can take I-80 all the way to Reno NV. Along the way, you hit Cleveland, Chicago, Omaha, SLC. Just make your overnights in those cities. There will always be hotel vacancies somewhere in those cities.

I was gonna say stay north and see Montana and the Dakota's. They are awesome states to drive through. But if you want to see the Grand Canyon I guess that's not gonna work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back