Help me understand credit cards

IloveTHIS

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Spent a lot of money recently. My balance is still a few hundred under my limit, but for credit it says $0.00

I always took this credit amount as how much you can spend with out paying off some of the balance.

I did a test and successfully bout $3 worth of snacks with the cc, despite it showing 0 credit

Halp

It's a scam. I've never had one.

Sometimes it takes a day or so for recent purchases to show up on online statements.

But balances are all always in real time

Better send me your card number, security code and pin so i can do an in depth analysis.

As mentioned above, some purchases may take a day or two to be posted. Wouldn’t Credit refer to any payment you would have made?

If you can avoid it never carry a balance on your card. The interest rate is way too high.

Better send me your card number, security code and pin so i can do an in depth analysis.

As mentioned above, some purchases may take a day or two to be posted. Wouldn’t Credit refer to any payment you would have made?

If you can avoid it never carry a balance on your card. The interest rate is way too high.

I have a low rate card. 11% anually. So If I put a $1000 balance on it and leave it for a year while making the minimum payment, I will have spent $9/month on interest.

Seems reasonable.

If you don't understand how they work, don't fucking use them.
Jesus.

I have a low rate card. 11% anually. So If I put a $1000 balance on it and leave it for a year while making the minimum payment, I will have spent $9/month on interest.

Seems reasonable.
11% is not so bad. With some of the higher ones some people pile on too much and barely make headway.

How did you build your credit to buy a house? Car loans?

My Dad Never had a credit card. His Dad co-signed a loan for him for a car when he was a teenager and he just built his credit from there. He has owned a bunch of vehicles, 2 houses, and had a cabin with 80 acres of property. When he co-signed a loan for me when I was in my early 20's his credit was like 850 or something ridiculous.

I didn't grow up rich and both he and my Mother worked, but we were middle class and never went without and had plenty of creature comforts. Now he has a pension, no car payment, and no mortgage. Granted all of this was easier to do as a baby boomer, but it's still possible.

Last edited:
Ah. Rent and Bills don't count in Canada I think.
Full disclosure

I had a father who had a sucessful business with a relatively small bank. They gave me the best mortgage rate (3.5%). That may have had something to do with me getting approved.

Full disclosure

I had a father who had a sucessful business with a relatively small bank. They gave me the best mortgage rate (3.5%). That may have had something to do with me getting approved.

200w.gif

How did you build your credit to buy a house? Car loans?
Buying stuff and paying it off on time.

I bought a car, a sofa, shit like that

Its bullshit that rental history doesn't count

Spent a lot of money recently. My balance is still a few hundred under my limit, but for credit it says $0.00

I always took this credit amount as how much you can spend with out paying off some of the balance.

I did a test and successfully bout $3 worth of snacks with the cc, despite it showing 0 credit

Halp
Credit cards are free money.

Just keep upping your limit and spending.

I use credit cards all the time and pay off the balance every month. There are certain benefits when renting cars, electronics, gas, etc. One of my card gives 1% cash back (I realize other cards may offer more), 5% off gas, covers secondary insurance when renting cars (no CDW needed), extends warranties, price protection for 120 days and other benefits. Another gives me discounts with cable, cell service, groceries. I never pay annual fees for my cards.

My Dad Never had a credit card. His Dad co-signed a loan for him for a car when he was a teenager and he just built his credit from there. He has owned a bunch of vehicles, 2 houses, and had a cabin with 80 acres of property. When he co-signed a loan for me when I was in my early 20's his credit was like 850 or something ridiculous.

I didn't grow up rich and both he and my Mother worked, but we were middle class and never went without and had plenty of creature comforts. Now he has a pension, no car payment, and no mortgage. Granted all of this was easier to do as a baby boomer, but it's still possible.

Yeah, baby boomers could do all that with a high school diploma and nothing else. Some didn’t even need that.

I use credit cards all the time and pay off the balance every month. There are certain benefits when renting cars, electronics, gas, etc. One of my card gives 1% cash back (I realize other cards may offer more), 5% off gas, covers secondary insurance when renting cars (no CDW needed), extends warranties, price protection for 120 days and other benefits. Another gives me discounts with cable, cell service, groceries. I never pay annual fees for my cards.

I don't think you can rent a car without a credit card unless you give them cash for the deposit. I like to pay for gas at the pump.

Back