Help with Headgear please!

I really don't understand how someone's glove would get through... Were you sparring in 16oz. gloves?
We were sparring in 18ounces,at a loss and confused as to how the injury happen w a fg5000. Just trying to collect the mental fortitude to resume training while I wait it out per Doc's orders.

Ive only experienced a knife hand to the eye while the other guy was wearing mma gloves. I was wearing the FG5000, and the knife hand slide perfectly in there. I really don't see how a part of a 18oz glove could have snuck through in that gap. You may have just gotten hit really hard. I've heard of guys getting busted up even while wearing the FG5000. Its a great piece of headgear, the best, but it wont make you impervious to a hard spar.

Andre Ward got a big cut too sparring with his Winning facesaver:

Shit happens

only explanation I can think of is that the headgear kept pulling at his skin, probably fit on pretty snugly, and also ward may have had some scar tissue or something. Also, the bar part of the headgear probably increases the lever that generates torque that pulls at his skin.

only explanation I can think of is that the headgear kept pulling at his skin, probably fit on pretty snugly, and also ward may have had some scar tissue or something. Also, the bar part of the headgear probably increases the lever that generates torque that pulls at his skin.
I agree though I think scar tissue and snugness is not necessary for it to happen but it would definitely help its odds, and I figure someone's orbital bone could get shattered regardless of whether or not the glove actually makes contact with the face, if the blow was powerful enough.

I agree though I think scar tissue and snugness is not necessary for it to happen but it would definitely help its odds, and I figure someone's orbital bone could get shattered regardless of whether or not the glove actually makes contact with the face, if the blow was powerful enough.

orbital? I was talking about Ward's cut

Did you get a black eye?

Funny thing is that I didn't have a black eye. No swelling or anything. I just felt lik my eye wasn't the same. It felt limb if that makes sense. Add that to the fact that I couldn't see straight, I knew something was wrong. And to think, I was gonna drive to that gym, no way I could have driven back home.

I'm about 6 weeks post surgery. I see straight again. But diplopia still remains when looking far up, a lil when looking down. I def can't spar comfortably right now as when I try to weave under punches( fake simulations of a punch of course) my vision is shaky and a lil double vision is present.

Yea I'm leaning towards the impact of the punch being a hard enough blow to shatter the bone. Doc put a titanium mesh in there, not screwed in there though. Said it was fixated the where the bone once was and that during the recovery process the mesh will heal right in the socket and take the place of the bone

Funny thing is that I didn't have a black eye. No swelling or anything. I just felt lik my eye wasn't the same. It felt limb if that makes sense. Add that to the fact that I couldn't see straight, I knew something was wrong. And to think, I was gonna drive to that gym, no way I could have driven back home.

I'm about 6 weeks post surgery. I see straight again. But diplopia still remains when looking far up, a lil when looking down. I def can't spar comfortably right now as when I try to weave under punches( fake simulations of a punch of course) my vision is shaky and a lil double vision is present.
If you didn't have a black eye, it could simply be the impact of the shot in a concentrated area (I.e., right where your eye is).

You probably will have some double vision for the rest of your life but what you have now will probably get better over the next few months. That's how it is with me.

That sounds really bad. I would only ever body-spar if I were you Jonesisfighting

If you didn't have a black eye, it could simply be the impact of the shot in a concentrated area (I.e., right where your eye is).

Agreed that actually makes a lot of sense.
That sounds really bad. I would only ever body-spar if I were you Jonesisfighting

I suppose that is a safer option but it isn't what i want to do. After a few years on And off training, and fully training the whole year of 2016, I was suppose to start competing amateur this year. I missed the golden gloves cause of it. Only sparring Body shots is good training, but I don't feel it is truly ideal for combat sport and real life self defense scenarios(which is why I started). Ideally, my initial reason for training is for self defense.

Eventually I will need to full body contact sparring if I want to get better. And for the pass yr and then some I've been thinking of learning Brazilian jiu jitsu, this might be a good reason to transition as injuries are not as prominent in the sport.

Small chance you might not be able to pass a medical to compete as an amateur

BUMP

where tf do I find authentic UMA gear? Everything I'm seeing looks like fake knockoffs.

Boxingcustom.com says they're 60 a pop, I thought they were listed around 90? Sounds too good to be true

Last edited:
BUMP

where tf do I find authentic UMA gear? Everything I'm seeing looks like fake knockoffs.

Boxingcustom.com says they're 60 a pop, I thought they were listed around 90? Sounds too good to be true
$60 bucks plus $30 shipping.

For $90 the stock UMA R-9 offers the best protection.

Second would be the R2C IR-81.

Lastly the Sabas Pro Series. I rank Sabas third because the padding is thin when compared to both the R9 and IR81, BUT Sabas beats both of them in back padding by a wide margin considering both the R9 and IR81 have no back padding at all.

That being said the Sabas offers a lot of protection for the face, im not trying to say its bad because its not at all its just the other two protect the face and nose better due to thicker padding and because the cheeks hug the face and cover up more.

It comes down to what you value more, Face vs Back of the head.

The Sabas is good all around. And the R9 and IR81 are good for the face.

If i ranked my favorite headgears of all time it would probably go.

FG2900
R-9
Sabas Pro Series
IR-81

If price matters, i think the Sabas is $80 right now on sale. After that a stock R9 is $90, the IR81 is $100.

IR-81 ($86) or R-9 ($100)? Which one offer better protection, mainly for a big nose.
I have got a reyes.

I'd vote for the R9. I have that and the FG-2900. The R9 might offer slightly more protection than the FG-2900.

Back