Henderson vs. Machida

Discipulus

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, here's another article from my blog. Again, you don't have to click a link to read my thoughts, because I feel too much like Lloyd Irvin when I do that. I just thought you might like to hear my analysis, and then tell me how wrong you think I am. :cool:

Prediction: Hendo and the Dragon

Don

very well writen , i enjoyed the read .

ill take hendo , if no one else wants him , yup , hendo by knock out 2nd rd

machida will try to trap hendos jab and feed him with left hand , but hendo will shorten his jab and smash machida with the big h bomb , same as what shogun did , hendos not afraid to get hit so he will be in machidas face all night long .

ground advantage to hendo
striking advantage to machida
overall toughness and grit to hendo

didnt-read-lol.gif

jk :D... I think it goes the same way as Machida vs Bader... he also relies on his right overhand...altho Dan might last till the second round...

Machida TKO round 3.

Speed kills. Lyoto will stay on the outside patiently circling to his right and wait for Dan to come in sloppy and hit his counter left cross. Lyoto is a TERRIBLE match up for Hendo and he will be the first man to TKO Hendo.

machida will try to trap hendos jab and feed him with left hand , but hendo will shorten his jab and smash machida with the big h bomb , same as what shogun did , hendos not afraid to get hit so he will be in machidas face all night long .

Lyoto fought way to aggressive in his 2nd fight against Shogun and he paid dearly for it. Lyoto is a counter-striker with excellent footwork at heart and needs to focus on that. If he fights the way he did when first entering the UFC being "elusive" he will win. Toughness and grit won't matter when you don't got the footwork to cut your opponent off and land anything meaningful.

The only thing I disagree with in this article is that being Machida's best sweep.

6tfrkg3.gif

2agw0lj.gif

The only thing I disagree with in this article is that being Machida's best sweep.

6tfrkg3.gif

2agw0lj.gif

agreed that first gif is a thing of beauty. Great timing to be able to land the punch then kick out the leg

This is what I wanted to hear! Hendo is a crafty dude, and he's got better claim to veteran status than just about anyone else still fighting at such a high level of the sport. He knows how to gameplan, and he's a vicious finisher. If Machida gets caught just once, Hendo will know it might be his only chance, and he'll go for the kill.

I don't think the ground advantage will be a factor. Hendo has never had the best takedowns for a wrestler, and Machida has outstanding takedown defense.

Thanks for the compliments, by the way. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

:icon_lol: Good gif.

You think Machida will knock Hendo out?

Machida TKO round 3.

Speed kills. Lyoto will stay on the outside patiently circling to his right and wait for Dan to come in sloppy and hit his counter left cross. Lyoto is a TERRIBLE match up for Hendo and he will be the first man to TKO Hendo.

Dan's not as sloppy as everyone thinks, and Machida will most likely be more concerned with getting out of the way than staying close to the big punch and countering. Hendo isn't Bader--when he rushes in it's because he sees an opening, not because he's getting frustrated. And when Hendo sees an opening, you're best served to get out of Dodge. I think Machida will know that much.

I really don't see Machida knocking the old man out. He'll outpoint him, harass him with kicks, and land occasional punches and knees.

Something I hadn't considered, but I'd love to see Machida footsweep to get top position and work an arm triangle like he did to Sokoudjou. That'd be fun.

yeah its gonna be hard to knock the old man out... but I think at least Machidas gets the decision.. I dont see Hendo landing the H Bomb... but if he lands it once, it could be game over for Lyoto...

Im also looking forward to Kos vs Robbie Lawler... gonna be a slug fest if Kos doesnt ruin it with LnP like he did to Daley...

This is what I wanted to hear! Hendo is a crafty dude, and he's got better claim to veteran status than just about anyone else still fighting at such a high level of the sport. He knows how to gameplan, and he's a vicious finisher. If Machida gets caught just once, Hendo will know it might be his only chance, and he'll go for the kill.

I don't think the ground advantage will be a factor. Hendo has never had the best takedowns for a wrestler, and Machida has outstanding takedown defense.

Thanks for the compliments, by the way. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

:icon_lol: Good gif.

You think Machida will knock Hendo out?

Dan's not as sloppy as everyone thinks, and Machida will most likely be more concerned with getting out of the way than staying close to the big punch and countering. Hendo isn't Bader--when he rushes in it's because he sees an opening, not because he's getting frustrated. And when Hendo sees an opening, you're best served to get out of Dodge. I think Machida will know that much.

I really don't see Machida knocking the old man out. He'll outpoint him, harass him with kicks, and land occasional punches and knees.

Something I hadn't considered, but I'd love to see Machida footsweep to get top position and work an arm triangle like he did to Sokoudjou. That'd be fun.

I guess I should have elaborated more, Dan isn't sloppy but I'm thinking Lyoto will stay so passive that Hendo will be forced to make an opening with the take a punch to give a punch mentality, so to speak, and eat a game changing counter then. His chin isn't what it used to be and Lyoto is more than capable of finishing IMO. Honestly I don't think we'll see many kicks in this fight, I think Machida will focus on his punches and trips so as to not get taken down. If I was Machida I would focus more on sniping punches and straying away from combos.

I believe Machida has much better footwork and speed/agility that'll seal the deal for him in this fight. I won't be surprised if it goes to a decision though.

Good analysis, I feel the same way about the fight. Especially liking both fighters, I'm a huge fan of both and don't really want to see either guy lose. I'd give Machida the slight edge, but Hendo is crafty and knows how to land that right hand. Machida has a good chin but it isn't iron, and with Hendo's power, one good shot could be the end. It's Machida's fight to lose, but if he makes any mistakes he'll probably lose it, so he does need to focus on being elusive.

6tfrkg3.gif

2agw0lj.gif

Hey, I never said best! Just wanted to show him taking down a wrestler and someone with outstanding takedown defense. Those are beautiful sweeps, too. Machida's game used to be so diverse. Hopefully we see him exhibit those types of techniques in this matchup too. The more I watch Lyoto fight, the more I love him. His style is so unique and effective.

yeah its gonna be hard to knock the old man out... but I think at least Machidas gets the decision.. I dont see Hendo landing the H Bomb... but if he lands it once, it could be game over for Lyoto...

Im also looking forward to Kos vs Robbie Lawler... gonna be a slug fest if Kos doesnt ruin it with LnP like he did to Daley...

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I feel the same way. Kos knows he's the better wrestler, but it would be nice to see him mix his takedowns and strikes, and use his level changes to land his heavy right hand. Haven't watched a Lawler fight in a while, but he's always exciting.

I guess I should have elaborated more, Dan isn't sloppy but I'm thinking Lyoto will stay so passive that Hendo will be forced to make an opening with the take a punch to give a punch mentality, so to speak, and eat a game changing counter then. His chin isn't what it used to be and Lyoto is more than capable of finishing IMO. Honestly I don't think we'll see many kicks in this fight, I think Machida will focus on his punches and trips so as to not get taken down. If I was Machida I would focus more on sniping punches and straying away from combos.

I believe Machida has much better footwork and speed/agility that'll seal the deal for him in this fight. I won't be surprised if it goes to a decision though.

Hendo won't be taking Machida down unless the Jones fight was indicative of a big change in Lyoto's game. Normally his grappling is much better than that, though. And his kicks are really designed to be hard to catch. He kicks very quickly. More annoying than damaging, but it will score and force Hendo to work for each round, which is how Machida usually starts to create openings. Problem is, Hendo won't be as easy to fluster as guys like Tito Ortiz.

Good analysis, I feel the same way about the fight. Especially liking both fighters, I'm a huge fan of both and don't really want to see either guy lose. I'd give Machida the slight edge, but Hendo is crafty and knows how to land that right hand. Machida has a good chin but it isn't iron, and with Hendo's power, one good shot could be the end. It's Machida's fight to lose, but if he makes any mistakes he'll probably lose it, so he does need to focus on being elusive.

Well said.

The Standup forum is a weird place where people agree with one an other.
So different than the heavies...

Not always...

Anyhow, Expect Hendo to apply tons and tons of pressure. He ain't going to let Machida get away. Which will then gas him pretty hard. Pretty much if Machida can avoid his right hand he wins. I just hope Machida fixed his left straight flaw. That's easily the best chance Hendo has to landing the hand of God. I expect lots of forward pressure from Dan, pushing Machida to the fence, them clinching up, Dan dirty box. Machida escapes and Dan uses that opportunity to swing. If it misses, Machida will definitely make him pay for it and may drop him.

Dan wins if he can counter Machida's left straight counter.

Hehe. I posted this in the heavies too, and the first reply has already accused me of putting no effort into the post. At least in here when someone disagrees with you it usually pertains to your technical assessment!

Not always...

Anyhow, Expect Hendo to apply tons and tons of pressure. He ain't going to let Machida get away. Which will then gas him pretty hard. Pretty much if Machida can avoid his right hand he wins. I just hope Machida fixed his left straight flaw. That's easily the best chance Hendo has to landing the hand of God. I expect lots of forward pressure from Dan, pushing Machida to the fence, them clinching up, Dan dirty box. Machida escapes and Dan uses that opportunity to swing. If it misses, Machida will definitely make him pay for it and may drop him.

Dan wins if he can counter Machida's left straight counter.

I don't see Dan countering Machida. How do you figure? Despite his low hands and high chin, Machida has always done a pretty damn good job of making sure that he steps well off-line when he throws the reverse punch. And since Hendo isn't going to switch stances like Jones did (the main reason that I believe he was able to hurt Machida with his superman hook-thingy) I figure Machida will be pretty safe any time he throws the left straight or knee.

You can bring up Shogun's cross counter, but Dan won't be harrying Machida with kicks either. After the first Shogun fight, Machida said that he'd been expecting Shogun to punch more, and so got caught unprepared. In the second fight, I think He came in expecting Shogun to kick more, and got caught off guard again. He should be pretty safe, however, in assuming that Hendo isn't going to be smashing his ribs the way Shogun was able to.

Hehe. I posted this in the heavies too, and the first reply has already accused me of putting no effort into the post. At least in here when someone disagrees with you it usually pertains to your technical assessment!

I don't see Dan countering Machida. How do you figure? Despite his low hands and high chin, Machida has always done a pretty damn good job of making sure that he steps well off-line when he throws the reverse punch. And since Hendo isn't going to switch stances like Jones did (the main reason that I believe he was able to hurt Machida with his superman hook-thingy) I figure Machida will be pretty safe any time he throws the left straight or knee.

You can bring up Shogun's cross counter, but Dan won't be harrying Machida with kicks either. After the first Shogun fight, Machida said that he'd been expecting Shogun to punch more, and so got caught unprepared. In the second fight, I think He came in expecting Shogun to kick more, and got caught off guard again. He should be pretty safe, however, in assuming that Hendo isn't going to be smashing his ribs the way Shogun was able to.

Machida loves to counter kicks with either a sweep or a left straight counter. In fact thats how Shogun countered him. Because of Machida's style and stance, his reverse punch doesn't have much shoulder movement, while making it hard to see, Machida's shoulder isn't protecting his untucked chin either which is incredibly dangerous against Hendo. Shogun faked a leg kick and Machida threw his left straight counter and got countered himself with Shogun's right hand. Machida will most likely win, but I think Hendo knows not to just attack attack attack because Machida will counter him. Clinch-escape, right hand during Machida's escape is probable.

Machida loves to counter kicks with either a sweep or a left straight counter. In fact thats how Shogun countered him. Because of Machida's style and stance, his reverse punch doesn't have much shoulder movement, while making it hard to see, Machida's shoulder isn't protecting his untucked chin either which is incredibly dangerous against Hendo. Shogun faked a leg kick and Machida threw his left straight counter and got countered himself with Shogun's right hand. Machida will most likely win, but I think Hendo knows not to just attack attack attack because Machida will counter him. Clinch-escape, right hand during Machida's escape is probable.

I can see that. The thing is, the only thing Hendo has of serious consequence is the right hand. Everything else is either a set up for the right hand, or comes after the right hand. He's not going to bait Machida with a kick like Shogun did, because it's well known that Hendo only kicks in order to land the right. He could perhaps bait him with the right and land a left hook when Machida comes in with his chin high to counter, but that's mere supposition; he's never done anything like that before, as far as I know. Doesn't mean it's not a possibility, though.

Is TheStrikingGuy writing under your handle now?
Hey guys, here's another article from my blog....

That’s right folks! February 23rd, Dan Henderson (29-8) squares off against Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida (18-3) in a contest for number one contender status! If you didn’t just emit a tiny squeak of anticipation then, as Dana White would say, you’re not a fight fan.

This is one of those truly exciting, viscerally agonizing bouts to watch because, as a supporter of both combatants, I would hate to see either guy lose. Still, that doesn’t mean I want to see a draw. And I don’t think that’s going to happen.

It’s a fateful matchup for both combatants. Dan will be vying to prove that, while 42 might be too old to look inconspicuous at a night club, it’s not too old to fight for the title. And Lyoto will be stepping into the Octagon holding the same record possessed by Mauricio Rua in their first bout, a closely-matched fight after which the famed Karateka made the downhill slide from being undefeated, to going 2-3 in his last five. The Dragon will be trying hard to reverse that trend against Henderson.

***QuoteChop***

If you liked this, check out my blog. The Performance Enhancing Blog.

What do y'all think of this fight? I know there's been some discussion on it already, but I thought maybe this analysis could spark a little more talk, as I feel far too many people are just discounting Hendo entirely. Dan has balls, medically enhanced though they may be, and he's got a lot more skill than most are willing to admit. Anyone here who thinks he might actually take this one?

^^^ I agree a very, very exciting fight & interesting matchup--- no clear winner to me....

Hendo has the power to either KO Machida standing, or Takedown / GNP. Age is a factor against Hendo, yet experience is definitely not a failing.... Lyoto is in danger on this one....

EDIT: The only way to make this card more exciting to me would be to add WONDERBOY vs. a Diaz....

KarateStylist

Last edited:
Back